Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you would be opposed to this. Or how many would welcome it. See, I've always considered myself to be a V8 RWD kinda guy. But here in the northeast, we get this stuff called snow. And it really limits travel in a RWD V8 vehicle with a manual trans. And we have a snow storm coming tomorrow by the dubs. So if the Camaro SS came with an AWD option, I would probably get it. I don't know what effect it would have on the exhaust note while moving, but I'm sure it would sound just as good. And I know a lot of purists would never even consider this option. But I think that keeping up with the times may mean having an AWD option at some point. And at least then those little twerps in the WRX and Evos won't be flying by me in the snow. It isn't fair really. They get to drive fast in snow while I have to creep along barel doing 20 mph...

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
That's why I leave the Camaro at home and drive the 4X4 suburban on those days, just the price we have to pay to play!

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Performance AWD would rock, but only with at LEAST 400HP/TQ!

Those WRX and EMO twerps leave my Silverado alone.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,787 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Would love it Chapel! We do a steady amount of AWD Caddy's in FI and they are unreal (mainly the V6 versions turbo or super charged), and for 2014 GM now offer turbo charged as an option from the factory.

Would not be that difficult as the chassis is NOT that far from the Camaro's.......Hmmm....

·
Registered
486 Posts
I looked into fitting most of the Cadillac AWD parts into my 2013 V6. In all honestly it doesn't look "that bad" to make everything work.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I usually shift to one of my 4WD vehicles for the snow, but this morning I went out and the truck was frozen solid, couldn't get the doors open. Because of that, and because my wife steal my car for the snow, I ended up driving her Sentra. The roads were actually pretty good, so I had no issues. But the Camaro stayed in the garage.

On an AWD Camaro, what does a burn out look like?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I borrowed my dad's F-150 for this snow storm we just had. Man that truck is a beast in the snow...it is unstoppable. It just rolled and blasted through everything easily. But now we have another snow storm coming this Monday. And unfortunately I will have to give the F-150 back by then. So I'm hoping to buy a cheap truck/SUV by then. I saw a guy on Craigslist a town over selling an Explorer with AWD and a 5.0 V8 for $1500 OBO. So maybe I can have that before anymore bad weather comes this way. Just tired of getting stuck in the snow. I mean, of course the answer is to just have a second vehicle. But sooner or later I think our sports/muscle cars are gonna come with AWD options.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,787 Posts
I usually shift to one of my 4WD vehicles for the snow, but this morning I went out and the truck was frozen solid, couldn't get the doors open. Because of that, and because my wife steal my car for the snow, I ended up driving her Sentra. The roads were actually pretty good, so I had no issues. But the Camaro stayed in the garage.

On an AWD Camaro, what does a burn out look like?
69...:lol: LMAO :lol: sorry.. need to behave :lol: couldnt resist :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
775 Posts
Turbo charging this brand new AWD Acaidia this week.....can't wait to see the results!

The Caddy CTS's we do the AWD is great on launches for traction, track or street. This guy wants a Porsche Cayenne killer sleeper.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think it would be a good option... Maybe not on all of them obviously lol. but I mean here we just got 5"+ and now about 4-8 coming tomorrow morning into monday morning. My snow tires are amazing, but they can't work miracles :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
And at least then those little twerps in the WRX and Evos won't be flying by me in the snow. It isn't fair really. They get to drive fast in snow while I have to creep along barel doing 20 mph...
I have a 2008 VW R32 which has all wheel drive and it is fantastic in the snow, but I really don't drive any faster. It is true that all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive does help you get moving faster in snow, but it does not help as much as people think once you get moving. When 4x4's or the little twerps in the WRX and Evos go flying past me I just smile, wave and let them go. Once your moving and going faster with 4x4 or all wheel drive it just means that when you do go in the ditch, you will be farther down in the ditch than I would be.
:hello:

IMO I don't think they will ever make a Camaro with all wheel drive, but if they did I sure would take a look at it. An all wheel drive Camaro with a little less weight(say 3500 or 3700) and the LT1 would be an awesome car. However, I would still store it in the winter instead of driving it. **** Wisconsin road salt..

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
An AWD Camaro would take off QUICK! Twice the traction!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think if GM did come out with an AWD option it would be a flop,,

1. it would add a lot of sticker price,
2. no one would want a v8 Camaro that couldn't do a burnout or a simple donut
3. it would add a lot of weight to the car
4. would make the gas mileage worse.

if you need one to go in the snow it's another reason to go V6,, although it's not all that great in snow either.

the better option is to do what your doing,, just buy a beater, the down side is now you have to pay maintenance and insurance and storage on another vehicle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
SIN R G, You've got a good point. Putting power to the ground through 4 wheels sure helps in getting going. When it comes to stopping on a slick ice or snow covered road however, there is no advantage. When you start pressing on the brake pedal, it's all the same no matter how many drive wheels you've got and whether they're in the front or the back.

So just let the WRXs and Evos fly past. Keep your own speed reasonable for the road conditions and visibility and you're likely to stay out of ditches and other troubles associated with frozen roads.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I drove my 87 V-8 Camaro through the winters until 1998. I then got a 1998 Z-28 and drove it through the Boston winters until 2002 when I got my 2002 SS. I drove the SS through the winters until 2009 when I got my 2010 SS. I refuse to drive the SS in the winter. Enough white knuckles. For the price of a set of good winter tires and wheels, I got a 2001 Buick Century. It pulls like a freight train in the snow and my precious SS sits in a salt free, dry garage next to my Harley Streetglide. I would not buy a AWD Camaro.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
No just get a truck or jeep. Its cool on a truck but very pansy assed on a car.
Audi A4 2T Quattro
Caddy CTS-4

That's just two off the top of my head, and DEFINITELY not "pansy", unless pansy means fast and cool.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts