Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I am not sure if this has already been discussed yet or not. I have the 1LT V6 and I am at about 800 miles so far. But the fuel economy that my Camaro is getting is like 15 - 16mpg....Is it always this bad when you are breaking in a new car? Does it get better? I thought I would atleast be getting like 18 mpg. I am driving mainly city miles and have not been gunning it too much. So just curious why it is so low right now.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
What are your driving conditions - lots of stop and go city stuff, flat roads or hills, how much idling time? The EPA numbers are for a very specific test schedule - your MPG depends on where and how you drive.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've got the 2SS 6spd man. During the break in the period the computer gave me 16 mpg. I cruise mostly in a rural areas (less traffic).Now that I've got 1500 mile on it. I'll see what kind of highway mpg's I get when I take a drive down to Atlanta from michigan in October.
Although it doesn't really matter. I didn't buy the V8 for the gas mileage... :lol:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I've got the 2SS 6spd man. During the break in the period the computer gave me 16 mpg. I cruise mostly in a rural areas (less traffic).Now that I've got 1500 mile on it. I'll see what kind of highway mpg's I get when I take a drive down to Atlanta from michigan in October.
Although it doesn't really matter. I didn't buy the V8 for the gas mileage... :lol:
The OP has the V6, so he has every right to be concerned about getting only 16 mpg. That's almost 10 mpg less than what I thought people were actually getting with the V6. Heck, I get 16 mpg in daily driving with the V8.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I am really concerned. Because I thought I would be getting atleast around 20 mpg with my V6. I drive on normal flat roads and its your average city stop and go traffic. Today the screen read average fuel economy of 15.7

So I am not sure if maybe I should have it checked or what. I do only have 800 miles on it though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The city EPA rating is only 17 MPG. For a new car, you're not far from that with only 800 miles. Have you done any highway cruising yet to get a hwy mpg? Does the car feel like its doing anything that needs to be looked at? Is it shify=ting correctly?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
8,984 Posts
OP prolly got the lemon out of the bunch..last car produced on a friday that they just threw together real quick lol
Really? Thanks so much!

Anyways...

I think, jsut as a few have posted, as soon as you reach the magical numbers in mileage, you will see some jump in the numbers.

What City and State?

What octane grade are you using?

Good Luck bud!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In Jacksonville, FL. I use regular 87 Unleaded. That is what the Manual says. Anybody else here with a V6 get really bad gas mileage in their first 1k miles?

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I use 93 octane with my V-6 and i am getting 17.5 in city (yes i lead foot off the line) and the 2 highway trips i made first 1st i got 26.3 and the 2nd i got over 27. Might want to try a higher octane of gas and see if that helps.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I use 93 octane with my V-6 and i am getting 17.5 in city (yes i lead foot off the line) and the 2 highway trips i made first 1st i got 26.3 and the 2nd i got over 27. Might want to try a higher octane of gas and see if that helps.
Why do you use 93 octane in a engine tuned for, and built for, 87?

Honestly..it seems kind of a waste to use higher octane in an engine designed, and built, for lower octane. And the higher price would probably make the miniscule MPG gain moot. :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Why do you use 93 octane in a engine tuned for, and built for, 87?

Honestly..it seems kind of a waste to use higher octane in an engine designed, and built, for lower octane. And the higher price would probably make the miniscule MPG gain moot. :p
Uh oh... OCTANE FIGHT!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts