Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My co-worker has a 2011 SS auto, and she just found out that her harmonic balancer is bad.

She said the car has high miles, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem too.

I told her that I'd ask on the various Gen5 Camaro forums.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
775 Posts
GM has not used harmonic balancer's since the 80's as all engines are now internally balanced. I suspect they are referring to the crank dampener? They have an elastomeric bond between the inner and outer hub and yes, they break down and you can see a wobble at idle. New replacement is less than $100. Common to see these fail on LS engines after 5 years or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM has not used harmonic balancer's since the 80's as all engines are now internally balanced. I suspect they are referring to the crank dampener? They have an elastomeric bond between the inner and outer hub and yes, they break down and you can see a wobble at idle. New replacement is less than $100. Common to see these fail on LS engines after 5 years or so.
Thanks for the information.

BTW... I was under the impression that terms "harmonic balancer" & "crank dampener" were synonymous, but I guess I revealed my lack of technical & mechanical knowledge.:eek:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Common misconception. A harmonic balancer not only dampens vibration and harmonics, it also if you look at the back side has weight carved out in relation to how the crankshaft is balanced, and it also takes a external balanced flex plate or flywheel as well. A crank dampener is used on internally balanced rotating assembly's ....and most all modern engines are now internally balanced for longevity. Older engines did the balancing externally with the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate.

Most mechanics though should know this so if the car was diagnosed by a shop, I would be cautious as to their expertise. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Common misconception. A harmonic balancer not only dampens vibration and harmonics, it also if you look at the back side has weight carved out in relation to how the crankshaft is balanced, and it also takes a external balanced flex plate or flywheel as well. A crank dampener is used on internally balanced rotating assembly's ....and most all modern engines are now internally balanced for longevity. Older engines did the balancing externally with the harmonic balancer and flywheel/flex plate.

Most mechanics though should know this so if the car was diagnosed by a shop, I would be cautious as to their expertise. :thumbsup:
Great explanation!... Thanks for the information.:bowdown:

·
Registered
775 Posts
No problem. Any tech questions, just ask. Been doing this for 42 years and do webinar training for dealer techs all over the world. Don't always have time with new job to visit forums, but still try. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
My co-worker has a 2011 SS auto, and she just found out that her harmonic balancer is bad.

She said the car has high miles, but I was curious if anyone else has had this problem too.

I told her that I'd ask on the various Gen5 Camaro forums.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Stock Harmonic balancers on the LS engines have been causing trouble since the 1997 LS1 Vette. Some will last, some wobble, others come apart doing damage to the engine.
When i change these i don't waste my money on another stock balancer. You can get a SLP for $250.00 or what some consider the best, ATI for $400.00.

Bob

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stock Harmonic balancers on the LS engines have been causing trouble since the 1997 LS1 Vette. Some will last, some wobble, others come apart doing damage to the engine.
When i change these i don't waste my money on another stock balancer. You can get a SLP for $250.00 or what some consider the best, ATI for $400.00.

Bob
ATI is second to none in quality...good advice (just make sure you don't order a harmonic balancer....you want a crank dampener). We use nothing but ATI on all our race engines. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts