Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad::mad:Well after hoping and praying and wishing really hard, I just received the call from the dealer telling me that my car is in the dead zone of Pontiac. This sucks I thought I would miss out on this because my vin number was high(5952) well I guess the camaro gods had other plans.

Now the count down begins.:mad:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I got a six pack patiently waiting for when I get home. Guess I need to go refill. Good thing is once its released it shouldn't take long to get to me as I'm only 1 and half hours away from Pontiac. Oh well I will just have to keep burning my wheels in my 400hp GTO :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I don't expect it to be there too long. Hear me out on this.

So GM is sending all these cars to Pontiac to perform this recall although they could send them to the dealers and let the dealers handle them. Here is the kicker, I and a few people that work inside they company that are pretty high up on the corporate ladder believe that GM is holding all these pre-order Camaros there until after they file for bankrupty. Reason being, pre-orders are credited as sold orders. What this means is once they file for chapter 11 all the bad debt comes off their balance sheets.

So whats that got to do with anything you ask? EVERYTHING is the answer. Once the debt is off of the balance sheets and they start shipping all those cars they are holding that shows up as reveune and cash coming in, thus making the balance sheets appear strong and financiality viable. If you ask me thats a pretty smart move on GM's part if that's what they are doing. Showing high sales and money coming in right after filing looks very good and gives investors confidence.

Now feel free to poke holes if you can't see them doing this.

·
Registered
25 Posts

So GM is sending all these cars to Pontiac to perform this recall although they could send them to the dealers and let the dealers handle them. Here is the kicker, I and a few people that work inside they company that are pretty high up on the corporate ladder believe that GM is holding all these pre-order Camaros there until after they file for bankrupty. Reason being, pre-orders are credited as sold orders. What this means is once they file for chapter 11 all the bad debt comes off their balance sheets.

So whats that got to do with anything you ask? EVERYTHING is the answer. Once the debt is off of the balance sheets and they start shipping all those cars they are holding that shows up as reveune and cash coming in, thus making the balance sheets appear strong and financiality viable. If you ask me thats a pretty smart move on GM's part if that's what they are doing. Showing high sales and money coming in right after filing looks very good and gives investors confidence.

If that's the case
I going to need more than 6 pack

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you must be in the dead zone also.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in Dead zone too

Me too, me too!!! #2386, built 4-3 but that was the last I know. My dealer called it the "Camaro" triangle instead of Bermuda triangle... Oh well, beer won't do it for me, I am going to go with a gallon of Crown!!!!

Positive thoughts... Positive thoughts...

It's not working!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts

Your a smart man................:thumbsup:

at least there are a few on here that understand business. As much as I hate to say this, I don't see this *new* Camaro being around long, especially if GM files for protection. Our government is going to make changes mandatory, And thats NOT A GOOD THING FOR SPORTSCAR PEOPLE.

The brass at GM F'd up, this car should have hit the streets AT LEAST 3 years ago. And don't give me the B.S. that they "wanted to do it right". The battery cable issue is proof that they didn't R & D these cars enough.

I LOVE the car, it looks amazing, interior is the best yet in a GM car (outside of Cadillac).

I hope the General can find a way to keep this car ALIVE........it deserves to be!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I disagree about the Camaro going away............IF it sells!! I know there are ALOT of pre orders and initial hype, but how long the car lasts depends entirely on numbers. With that being said the V-6 is the bread and butter of Ford for the Mustang and The General is betting "everything" on the 6 banger this time around. They want EVERYONE to want one. That means kids, old people, rich people, girls, poor people pretty much all walks of life. That is/was the formula for the original Pony cars. Take a look at the early Mustang commercials, they show women driving the 4 cylinder vert, not big burly men smoking tires. The SS is for that, but that is the upper echelon of the "real car". If the 6 banger sells, WE ALL WIN!!! Can you say Z-28!! Im rooting for Moms and kids and Dr.s everywhere to get a 6 banger. Then I will smoke thier ass in my SS. This is my .02 baby.

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts
mmmm........I don't think so. With a VIN that high, we would not be shipping it to Pontiac - it MAY be that it's being railed to New Boston (Michigan) and that's causing confusion....

·
8,984 Posts
Your a smart man................:thumbsup:

at least there are a few on here that understand business. As much as I hate to say this, I don't see this *new* Camaro being around long, especially if GM files for protection. Our government is going to make changes mandatory, And thats NOT A GOOD THING FOR SPORTSCAR PEOPLE.

The brass at GM F'd up, this car should have hit the streets AT LEAST 3 years ago. And don't give me the B.S. that they "wanted to do it right". The battery cable issue is proof that they didn't R & D these cars enough.

I LOVE the car, it looks amazing, interior is the best yet in a GM car (outside of Cadillac).

I hope the General can find a way to keep this car ALIVE........it deserves to be!!
Watch out the sky's falling again!

·
Banned
1,136 Posts

The more I think about your statement...the more I LIKE IT...sure beats my "theory" GM was holding our SSes until the release of Transformers II...June 1st trumps June 24th! :lol: :lol:

Of course, I am still holding out hope to take delivery by Friday, May 29th, which would blow both theories out-of-the-water!! :5go:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mmmm........I don't think so. With a VIN that high, we would not be shipping it to Pontiac - it MAY be that it's being railed to New Boston (Michigan) and that's causing confusion....
Well if thats true I would feel better, just wish there was a way someone besides my dealer could tell me. Because he said that it shows that it's in Pontiac. I'm thinking I might get my stepfather to go down there and ask around since he has access.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
believe that GM is holding all these pre-order Camaros there until after they file for bankrupty. Reason being, pre-orders are credited as sold orders. What this means is once they file for chapter 11 all the bad debt comes off their balance sheets.

So whats that got to do with anything you ask? EVERYTHING is the answer. Once the debt is off of the balance sheets and they start shipping all those cars they are holding that shows up as reveune and cash coming in, thus making the balance sheets appear strong and financiality viable.
I'm far from an accounting expert, so those accounting wizards or CFO's out there correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're confusing cash flow and income statments with balance sheets. While they're all interrelated, each sheet serves different purposes. Balance sheets ALWAYS, MUST, ALWAYS (did I mention always) net to zero if you're doing it right. Assets = equity of shareholder + liabilities of the company.

Cars built but not actually sold (invoiced) can show up as a current asset as they would be inventory, but reasonably considered to be sold within a year, and also counted at company costs (profit comes in with the income statement). Thus, cars counted as assets must also have the cost of that inventory (that same company cost from the asset side) added to the liabilities section, to even out the balance sheet. Whatever you do as a business should always have a net effect of ZERO on the balance sheet.

Inventory on hand that gets sold goes on the income statement as cost of goods sold WHEN the revenue is collected for it. So if you don't have the cash in hand, but are REPORTING the inventory as sold, you can't go back later and add those sales again. The income sheet is where you get to post the selling price, thus the profit/loss ends up on the income statement. It shows up as inventory value on hand until then. On all statements, read the footnotes. A lot of info as to how they got the numbers you see are in there. You play too many shell games with income statements and you could end up looking bad. Besides, even in Chapter 11, if business debts are higher than assets, the company could be dissolved anyway by the court and cease operations!!! That's why GM needs positive cash flow (more profits) and reduced liabilites right now. So holding onto cars is not in the best interest of GM.

You also have to store the inventory if it's not sold, so those costs increase (security, lights, floor or parking lot space, etc.), cutting into profits. So holding onto a lot of inventory isn't a smart concept. Get them sold and out to the customer. Just-in-time manufacturing tends to be the best method of inventory management, although some may disagree. Right now, demand outstrips Camaro inventory, so as soon as they can get them ready to ship, they ship them. I don't see any reason it's a great idea to to hold them.

While it's true AFTER any "reorganization" filing, the liabilities are drastically reduced, the balance sheet is STILL going to read a net ZERO. But the cash flow will change significantly, whether or not cars are sold now or later.

Whew! It can get confusing because accountants do things so many different ways. But I think that's generally how it goes...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts