Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUPERBOWL

Any of you guy watching this. The early days so far have had some good deals.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW some cat just paid 47k for 74 vette. I need to roll our 74 out to auction I'd be more than happy to get half that amount.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt Stone not being there this year due to illness is really hurting the commentary. These other guys are saying some stupid stuff.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Matt Stone not being there this year due to illness is really hurting the commentary. These other guys are saying some stupid stuff.
Justin Bell has good heritage, but he makes my ears hurt. We're missing a lot of info that Matt would have had right off the top of his head. They say he'll be back at the next auction though.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Honestly, I dislike Barrett Jackson.

They're a big part of why classic cars cost so much.

I don't mind looking at the cars.
Very true. I was hoping that the cars values would be sliding this year but if the Wednesday night '69 Z/28's were going for 50K plus, Friday and Saturday primetime will be stupid money.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
This is why I hate not having SPEED. -_-
You can watch it live on the BJ site. They webcast everything and store a lot of it so you can go back and watch whatever you missed.

The feature came in handy for me last year as my kids were always laying claim to the TV.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Honestly, I dislike Barrett Jackson.

They're a big part of why classic cars cost so much.

I don't mind looking at the cars.
No, Barrett Jackson isnt why classic cars cost so much....Barrett Jackson is why so many people with classic cars think they're cars are worth so much. I've heard it so many times with people suddenly becoming car experts. Barrett Jackson is a huge game, alot of those vehicles are purchased at those prices bc of the people buying them. I watch it, and they're have been some really good deals so far....try building one yourself sometime and see how much you invest, I think you'll have a new outlook on some of those numbers....

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
No, Barrett Jackson isnt why classic cars cost so much....Barrett Jackson is why so many people with classic cars think they're cars are worth so much. I've heard it so many times with people suddenly becoming car experts. Barrett Jackson is a huge game, alot of those vehicles are purchased at those prices bc of the people buying them. I watch it, and they're have been some really good deals so far....try building one yourself sometime and see how much you invest, I think you'll have a new outlook on some of those numbers....
That's exactly what I mean. If it wasn't for this show, I bet first gen camaro SHELLS or rolling bodieswouldn't cost upwards of $10k. If everybody thinks their cars are worth so much, then people who would have sold theirs for a low price would raise their price thinking, "well if he sold it for that much, then I could sell mine for this much more!" As for finding out the price myself. The auction value is easily 2-3x as much as all the money it cost to build that car and your time invested in it (which i believe is it's actual value).

Anyway because of big auctions like this, my dream of building/restoring/buying a classic car is pretty much unattainable until I turn like 45. Because people are putting the barrett jackson tax on their cars

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
No, Barrett Jackson isnt why classic cars cost so much....Barrett Jackson is why so many people with classic cars think they're cars are worth so much.
i agree with that sentiment too. some people think their worn-out-no-engine-rot-box is a goldmine cuz of a concourse level car they saw on the block that sold for high $$. some people are just dumb like that. however, there are still plenty good deals to be had out there. just ignores the retards.

i love watching barrett-jackson too... but it always makes me wish i had more money so i could buy some of those great cars.

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's exactly what I mean. If it wasn't for this show, I bet first gen camaro SHELLS or rolling bodieswouldn't cost upwards of $10k. If everybody thinks their cars are worth so much, then people who would have sold theirs for a low price would raise their price thinking, "well if he sold it for that much, then I could sell mine for this much more!" As for finding out the price myself. The auction value is easily 2-3x as much as all the money it cost to build that car and your time invested in it (which i believe is it's actual value).

Anyway because of big auctions like this, my dream of building/restoring/buying a classic car is pretty much unattainable until I turn like 45. Because people are putting the barrett jackson tax on their cars
A guy with a late model Camaro shell ,as you call it, cannot obtain a value from Barrett Jackson. We've bought starting projects in the $3500 range, and we've also bought $15,000 starters. Those first gen Camaros are super hot right now, and the ones rolling across Barrett Jackson that were finished in a shop may possibly be loosing money. If I'm reading your quote right that you feel that people are making 2-3x markup on Barrett Jackson, I can tell that is about as false as it comes, especially the way the market pricing is now. The cars that are selling for $40,000-$50,000 werent finished in a shop for $15-20,000, that wouldnt cover the parts on most of them. As for your dream of obtaining a classic car and feeling that is unattainable, depends where your standards are, you can certainly pick up a heck of a nice classic car for alot less than a new Camaro,it won't be "Barrett Jackson material", but you can certanly pull it off.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The auction to watch for "attainable" cars is Mecum Auto Auction. Those cars aren't always frame-off restored, or highly modified street monsters, or numbers matching high highly desireable classic muscle. The cars in that auction generally go from 12K - 45K with an occasional exception of a really nice car that would go up to 100K. They always have cars that look good, and can be driven whereas the B-J cars are most likely headed for a garage, museum, or display.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The auction to watch for "attainable" cars is Mecum Auto Auction. Those cars aren't always frame-off restored, or highly modified street monsters, or numbers matching high highly desireable classic muscle. The cars in that auction generally go from 12K - 45K with an occasional exception of a really nice car that would go up to 100K. They always have cars that look good, and can be driven whereas the B-J cars are most likely headed for a garage, museum, or display.
Have to agree there TX_SS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts