Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of BBK headers on phastek performance for 499.99 (chrome no cats) other than not rusting, what are the advantages to having stainless or ceramic vs chrome? Does it really effect the sound that much?

Thx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And would there be any advantage to run a cat and a muffler other than its quieter? And legal in Cali? I'm in Kansas so no cats needed. My buddy has a 5.0 with long tubes and full 3" exhaust with just designators and its loud but I like it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Far as I know there's not much if any difference in sound. Differences will be in apperance and heat. Stainless and chrome will discolor, ceramic will maintain its color much better and help to keep the heat in the exhaust and not you engine comartment.
Also as far as I know Kansas doe's require cats. Their veiw is (like Mo.) if it came with cats you have to maintain working cats. The only difference is you don't have to have yours inspected regularly like we do across the state line.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Far as I know there's not much if any difference in sound. Differences will be in apperance and heat. Stainless and chrome will discolor, ceramic will maintain its color much better and help to keep the heat in the exhaust and not you engine comartment.
Also as far as I know Kansas doe's require cats. Their veiw is (like Mo.) if it came with cats you have to maintain working cats. The only difference is you don't have to have yours inspected regularly like we do across the state line.
Along witht this I think ceramics are a bit heavier. Chrome gets hot as heck. IMO T-304 SS is the best way to go. Even with discoloration it will look nicer than OEM manifolds. If you look on Ebay you can find the better quality BBK LTs in SS or Ceramic for a little more than the price you listed from Phastek.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I was a cop for awhile in ks, we do not get our vehicles inspected unless you buy one from out of state or in state that came from another..however I was planning on running chrome. Is the heat enough to cause problems? I have already noticed that the engine bay gets pretty warm anyways. Not too worried about discoloration, anything looks better than the pop metal heaver pieces of crap that come factory. And thanks for the insight

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well you could always use header wrap also. But I personally would stay away from chrome headers...unless you can get them for a killer deal.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love Texas speed. Lol and we do apparently. I was looking into kooks stainless 2 inch as well check out the cartek video on YouTube 102mm intake

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I love my BBK's.... But expect to spend money on a trifecta tune, unless you like the gas out the tailpipe smell....

We'll let you know how its like with a supercharger in spring :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts