Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that it would be an eye opener for those of us who like to do things ourselves. Make sure you have the proper tools when working on your Camaros. Use jackstands and wheel chocks. It certainly doesn't hurt to have blocks under tires to help if the stands would fail (make sure the holes are vertical, not horizontal). It's a shame when an accident like this happens...

CentreDailyTimes said:
JEANNETTE, Pa. — A western Pennsylvania man has been killed by a car that fell on him when a jack slipped as he worked on the vehicle in his grandparents' driveway.

Westmoreland County deputy coroner Gerald Fritz says 24-year-old Kevin Garland Jr., of Blairsville, died of asphyxiation Wednesday night.

Fritz says the man's grandmother found him under the car and called 911 about 7:40 p.m. He was pronounced dead at Excela Westmoreland Hospital in Jeannette about 8:30 p.m.

Jeannette is about 25 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/news/breaking_news/story/1635582.html#ixzz0XPsgE9QD
Adam lives in Jeannette -- I wonder if he knew the guy.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
The last name sounds familiar but I doubt I know them. However, if I saw a picture of the car I'd know exactly where to find the house.

BTW: This is how my uncle died, a van crushed him when he was 19 or 20.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Similar thing happened to an acquaintance about 20 years ago. The jack stands failed (rusted, old, just plain flimsy) while he was doing a brake job and the rotor landed in the middle of his chest. It must have been quick. His family found him DOA with his tools still clutched in his hands.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
... Yeah. **** shame, but oh so common.

I do it daily, no glasses, gloves, or bandages. Well except for today since I'm still nursing a quasi-hole in my hand after trying to extract a FPT disc out of a turboprop on a routine inspection.

We jacked that F'ker up with wood blocks when the manual called for a 1 ton engine hoist and $2K stand when we separated the turbine section from the compressor section. One tip and someone would have lost a leg/arm/body.

Then there's the time I became the human sawhorse for the tail for this thing:

Mechanics: Short on brains, but give them a manual and they become Einstein.. kinda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts