Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What can you performance gurus tell me about these two cars...

Who would win?

Car 1
Curb Weight (lbs)4555
Horsepower 604 @ 4800
Torque (lb-ft)738 @ 2000-4000

Car 2
Curb Weight (lbs)4345
Horsepower 661 @ 5400
Torque (lb-ft)738 @ 2200-4200

I only understand so much, and I don't know enough to understand if the RPMS matter? Or are the differences in RPM between the two neglible? I figured it would make a diffence considering they reach their HP# at different RPMS... or does tht not matter?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If everything else was equal...I would think car #2...is this a trick question?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i think the difference in the RPM for torque is negligible. the HP RPM range variations do make a difference, but i'm not sure exactly how much difference it would make in, say, a quarter mile race.

p.s. i was never good in math and stuff... maybe some engineers would be able to give a better explanation.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
edited original post for my confusion. :confused:
Thanks! :)

Assuming you are thinking in terms of a drag race, and based on the details given, car number two is the likely winner because it is lighter and produces more peak power (hence a lb/hp ratio of 6.57:1 vs. 7.51:1.) There is a slight difference in the RPM numbers you gave but the peak torque curves are both 2k wide and are only shifted by 200 RPM between them so that doesn't mean much.

We know nothing, however, about gearing, transmissions, tires, suspension, conditions, little about the power curve (I'm guessing turbo-diesels?), etc.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! :)

Assuming you are thinking in terms of a drag race, and based on the details given, car number two is the likely winner because it is lighter and produces more peak power (hence a lb/hp ratio of 6.57:1 vs. 7.51:1.) There is a slight difference in the RPM numbers you gave but the peak torque curves are both 2k wide and are only shifted by 200 RPM between them so that doesn't mean much.

We know nothing, however, about gearing, transmissions, tires, suspension, conditions, little about the power curve (I'm guessing turbo-diesels?), etc.
thanks for the post!

I was at the House of Imports a few hours ago with my buddy to pick up his car (Mercedes dealer) and they had those two cars in the show room. Fantastic and beautiful cars, and I was looking at the spec sheet on the window. The RPMs threw me off, but I figured the difference was minor.

Car1: 2009 SL 65 AMG

Car2: 2009 SL 65 AMG Black-series

BTW, the Black series had a 30K mark up! :eek: That's as much as a freakin' SS 5th gen lol.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I knew as soon as I saw those specs that it was the SL65. They make some monster power, but are pretty heavy.
Turbo-diesel didn't seem quite right because the peak HP was at a fairly high RPM but not real high. Big-displacement twin-turbo fits. And the two cars are almost identical! (Which explains why the numbers are almost identical...)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after actually READING I realized how painfully obvious that the Black Series will be faster since it has about 600rpms more to take advantage of the torque... CORRECT? At the very least, that's one way of looking at it I hope :lol:

·
8,984 Posts
Wrong.

It's a driver's race.

On paper, yes, but paper is a LIAR!

·
8,984 Posts
Well no **** genious!

And guess what, a one legged duck will swim in circles, but only in water with one leg when swimming.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have to disagree that this particular scenario would be a drivers race! Drivers being equal, the Black series would be quicker
Sorry, my friend! 54inches is teling you the truth. The differences between the two cars is small enough that two different drivers (or even two different runs with the same driver) would like result in a bigger gap than the specs alone suggest.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Out of curiosity, why does it matter? These cars make virtually the same power - and they are both SL65's. It'd be one thing if you were trying to compare a SL65 to maybe a Viper or something. We're you having some sort of argument at the dealer or something? I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm just wondering.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts