Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title should say "Best" not "Bes"

This review captures the essence of the car the best, i think.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0808_2010_chevrolet_camaro/index.html

I want one.

Laugh all you want (and yes, the above inner-voice exchange actually occurred inside my head), but there's a reason: For the first time in history, the base Camaro is no slouch. The V-6s found in the current Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger SE (240 and 250 hp, respectively) are smooth, economical engines, but they're by no means asphalt shredders. The six-cylinder Mustang and Challenger exist because of their relatively good fuel economy and their accessible, Joe-Everyman MSRPs. The base, V-6-powered 2010 Camaro, on the other hand? It's going to be cheap. But it's also going to be fast. And that ain't just numbers talking.

Yep, we drove one. Two, actually.

General Motors recently let us loose in two prototype Camaros, each equipped with the company's direct-injected, 304-hp, 3.6-liter V-6. These were fully functional, so-called "99-percent" engineering prototypes, cars that behave and feel almost exactly like a production 2010 Camaro will. Being prototypes, the examples we drove were cosmetically rough - think zebra-stripe camouflage, sandpaper paint, and trailer-park interiors - but the behind-the-wheel experience was essentially that of a finished, bug-free production car.

What we discovered during this drive was pretty impressive, but it wasn't totally unexpected. Let's dispense with the obvious first: The '10 Camaro behaves a lot like a Pontiac G8, largely because it shares both a platform (Zeta) and a drivetrain with GM's most sporting four-door. But there's more to it than that. Due to the relatively restricted nature of our drive (a GM engineer was present at all times), we weren't able to obtain test results or steal off to the dyno or go visit Mulletville for some man-on-the-street reactions, but we can offer some subjective impressions. What we can't do is guarantee that, once you've driven one, you won't start thinking about a V-6, too. ...next page >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
199 Posts
"eliminating the torque readout shown in almost all official photography to date"

substituting a trans temp.. not sure I like that one.. but did not feel the torque gauge was that useful to begin with... mine would be peg'd most of the time.. :lol:

time for the aftermarket to step in and produce a BOOST gauge in it's place! and why not a fuel pressure gauge too! MUCH MORE USEFUL! :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
The more reviews I read about the V-6 car, the more I feel like the author. If I was buying the Camaro to use as my daily driver, I would absolutely be getting the V-6. Since I'm going to be getting a weekend toy, I will definitely get the V-8. Hopefully a lot of people will be looking at the V-6.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
and why not a fuel pressure gauge too! MUCH MORE USEFUL! :D
Now THAT would be good. Trans temp? Huh?

GTC, this is all you, baby:

The interior: It's retro without being overblown, fun without being goofy, and serious without taking itself too seriously. It's usable, intuitive, and practical. It's also just cool to look at.

And this is well put by the author, too :D

The rear suspension: Quite frankly, it's amazing. After decades of bump-wary, live-axle pony cars, we've finally arrived at the point where the base model of a production horse drives like a real, bang-up-to-date modern car. Bravo, GM, for having the balls to spend the money and take the chance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Now THAT would be good. Trans temp? Huh?

GTC, this is all you, baby:

The interior: It's retro without being overblown, fun without being goofy, and serious without taking itself too seriously. It's usable, intuitive, and practical. It's also just cool to look at.

And this is well put by the author, too :D

The rear suspension: Quite frankly, it's amazing. After decades of bump-wary, live-axle pony cars, we've finally arrived at the point where the base model of a production horse drives like a real, bang-up-to-date modern car. Bravo, GM, for having the balls to spend the money and take the chance.
Two Thumbs up from here in the plant.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
V-6s found in the current Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger SE (240 and 250 hp, respectively)

the stag has 210hp not 240 so far all of these mags have fudged up in one way or another **** have they ever heard of RESEARCH

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Can anyone who has sat in one comment on the C-pillar blind spots and the small back seat? The author wasn't too happy with those...although if that's the biggest complaint about the car...that's not bad.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Awesome review, especially when compared to the others, this was one of my favorite lines:

"The Camaro essentially blows away its competition - the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger seem positively primitive in comparison, a couple of rough-edged, cost-cut, sedan-derived chunks of ordinary." :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Awesome review, especially when compared to the others, this was one of my favorite lines:

"The Camaro essentially blows away its competition - the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger seem positively primitive in comparison, a couple of rough-edged, cost-cut, sedan-derived chunks of ordinary." :D
one of my favorites too!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
V-6s found in the current Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger SE (240 and 250 hp, respectively)

the stag has 210hp not 240 so far all of these mags have fudged up in one way or another **** have they ever heard of RESEARCH
Maybe they meant downhill. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
new cts has a huge blind spot from the c-pillar.
Camaro can't be much worse since it is a 2 door and the doors are so large.
Looks like the c-pillar is in almost the same spot as it is in the CTS.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Slowstang V6's have 210hp 240rwtq.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I hope that somewhere in GM's boardrooms they're looking at this article and saying something along the lines of "Wow, so this is what they have to say now that we finally do get it...".

·
Registered
357 Posts
I hope that somewhere in GM's boardrooms they're looking at this article and saying something along the lines of "Wow, so this is what they have to say now that we finally do get it...".
Somebody from GM is tracking what is being wrote and commented on about the 5thGen Camaro. Because the average Joe & Jane will be spending their hard earned cash on a superior vehicle, options to my choosing are a must!

SF
Rick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.