Modern Camaro Forums banner

best SBC

• Gen 1: 283, 305, 307, 327, 350, 400 (carb)

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Gen 1 : 305 & 350 TPi/TBi

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Gen 2: LT1, LT4, Vortec

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Gen 3: LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Gen 4: LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9

Votes: 38 61.3%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your opinion what sbc was the best ever made? taking into consideration: Power, reliability, fuel economy, etc

·
Registered
62 Posts
any ls based engine!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any ls based engine!!
agreed, that was a major turning point for the sbc.

someone clicked on gen 1 sbc?

there is this guy in the 3rd gen section of this site that is obsessed with the idea his tbi 305 is a much better engine than the ls1, its pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
The Generation 3 was a good engine however even though im young at the age of 28 I gotta stick with the generation 1 smallblock. Easy to work on ,Easy to beef up and parts out the wazoo. Years of proven excelence :thumbsup:

It's hard to beat the good ol 350 pleanty of parts and ton's to work with as in high performance.

Who can forget the 283 ? IT made the 57 chevy what it was nothing like a good old powerpack engine :thumbsup:

There were Impala's that had 327's that would eat the pavement with there tires and high compression. Very under rated motor.

As of course the 400 not many think of the 400 however machine it a little and you have a hell of a motor especially when stuck between the fenders of a Nova or something small.

firechicken;154317 there is this guy in the 3rd gen section of this site that is obsessed with the idea his tbi 305 is a much better engine than the ls1 said:
the 305 is the only gen1 im not fond of or anything TBI to be exact. I expect to see this thread mainly stuck with Gen3 and 4 because thats mainly what folks are going to be used to knowing a lot of since our late model Fbodies have rocked these engines for the past 10 years however gen1 continues to Roll and has done just that for the past 54 years.

283 came in 57 the 55 came with the first V8 small block as the 265 hit the road.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I clicked Gen 1 (I'm sure you were expecting gen 2).

More numerous, more popular, just as reliable, can be built to make good MPG, most peoples first V8, easier to work on, cheaper parts, and without them, you wouldn't have your precious LS1s or LS3s.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I started with a Gen 1. The are cheap and plentiful.

I voted Gen 3 simply because that was the first LSx, but the Gen 4 are still just as great. The LS engine has proven time and time again its reliability, efficiency, ease of modification and is now very abundant.

Anyone can think what they want, but take the best Gen 1 350 (whatever that is; the L98?) and put it up against a 346 (405hp LS6) and it's quite obvious that stock vs stock and mod vs mod which is clearly the best package.

Gen 1's are cheap, and that's pretty much the only plus to them, unless you refuse to learn about electronics.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
ANY GM V8!

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I started with a Gen 1. The are cheap and plentiful.

I voted Gen 3 simply because that was the first LSx, but the Gen 4 are still just as great. The LS engine has proven time and time again its reliability, efficiency, ease of modification and is now very abundant.

Anyone can think what they want, but take the best Gen 1 350 (whatever that is; the L98?) and put it up against a 346 (405hp LS6) and it's quite obvious that stock vs stock and mod vs mod which is clearly the best package.

Gen 1's are cheap, and that's pretty much the only plus to them, unless you refuse to learn about electronics.

Your comparing engines old as dinosaurs to gen 3 motors? No duh who will win stock/stock or mod/mod. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your comparing engines old as dinosaurs to gen 3 motors? No duh who will win stock/stock or mod/mod. :rolleyes:
thats the point, and what we are compairing, showing how much they have come since the gen 1's, better head design, roller cam, fuel injection....but the gen 1 paved the way for our todays sbc, and they are cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts