Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Auto crossing is my hobby, but I want to add some high speed track days to my need for speed. I've heard from some corvette buddies that some of the corvettes with the LS3s fry the engines because the oil system isn't enough to handle track days.

Here is a corvette forum discussion about it.

Let me ask another way, who's LS3 HASN"T blown up on the track - Corvette Forum

My question is, should my car, in stock form, on street tires, be able to handle track days with no problem?

Anyone hear of any problems?

Any people doing track days on a regular basis with no problems?

Thanks, everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I have not read or heard anything about this before your post. After reading your link it seems that high G corners (oil starvation) take their toll. A dry sump set up would be the way to go if you are a serious racer IMO.

I hope some track day and auto-Xers will chime in on their setups. What are they seeing and have heard at the events.

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, it seems to be non-stock setups that cause this, but I just want to make sure. It took me three years to get a car I've lusted after since I first saw one, I don't want to destroy it the first year I have it. :)

How's it going USA? I remember you from when I was on the forum before!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Blown motors at track days is due to driver error or poor maintenance.

There is NO reason to be running @ red line on a track day. It isn't a race, there are no prizes, no awards...

Now if it is a competition, then that is a different story.

You should always check your motor/car over before doing track days.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you're running the PZero tires you prolly want to switch them for a track day.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you're running the PZero tires you prolly want to switch them for a track day.
I didn't have a problem with mine, but it will depend on the speed of the track, weather, temperature (air and track).

Actually our last track day was in the rain and I had a set of stock tires (new) and they did the best out of all the other cars. I had the best traction. Instructors even commented on it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Blown motors at track days is due to driver error or poor maintenance.

There is NO reason to be running @ red line on a track day. It isn't a race, there are no prizes, no awards...

Now if it is a competition, then that is a different story.

You should always check your motor/car over before doing track days.
I dont know about that...LOL inertia is real and there was a string of them for a while with the Vette guys
An oil accumulator would take care of it I would tghink, I run one in my car as well as an oil cooler.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont know about that...LOL inertia is real and there was a string of them for a while with the Vette guys
An oil accumulator would take care of it I would tghink, I run one in my car as well as an oil cooler.
I understand inertia is real, unless they were going in perpetual circle, they should have been fine; but that then leads me to the driver error part. They should have been watching their gauges, temperature, pressure, etc.

My guess would be they didn't have good /fresh oil in the cars either, but things do happen:thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I thinnk it was more to the fact it happened under certain circumstances... like breaking into a hard right hand turn ... kept some of the oil trapped in the heads.... would 1 quart extra have staved that off? I dont know to be honest. But I dont think it was just a matter of oil temps and not monitoring pressure... lets face it when your entering a turn the last thing your at is your gauges... BUT I havent heard of it for a while as well.. so maybe an extra quart was the solution?

·
8,984 Posts
Yeah, it seems to be non-stock setups that cause this, but I just want to make sure. It took me three years to get a car I've lusted after since I first saw one, I don't want to destroy it the first year I have it. :)

How's it going USA? I remember you from when I was on the forum before!
**** dog, where you been?:eek::lol:

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
**** dog, where you been?:eek::lol:
Hey 54! I went away because I didn't get a Camaro, and being here was tough to swallow. Just bought a 2010 SS/RS 3 weeks ago, so I'm back!!!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone again. Glad to see some familiar names here, it's like coming home! :)

·
8,984 Posts
Excellent, I with a V as you can see, but I am still around Moding these days....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts