Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, so i have a 327 for my chevelle, what's the best way to get 400-500+ hp with best sound?? not too much for turbos, but i love the look of the blowers that come out of the hood... would a cam and one of those do it?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol, i know that... need floorpans, trunkpan, pull out a gigantic dent in right side, paint, tranny etc... it may be a few years before i finish... but i figure when i get my commission i'll be single making 30k a year... given my monstrous 160lb weight that hasn't changed since i was 17..

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
lol, i know that... need floorpans, trunkpan, pull out a gigantic dent in right side, paint, tranny etc... it may be a few years before i finish... but i figure when i get my commission i'll be single making 30k a year... given my monstrous 160lb weight that hasn't changed since i was 17..
My mechanic has a 327 in his thirdgen firebird, his car is lighter but he runs 10s so anything is possible I guess.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's funny, but sad because in my mom's tracker with all 90hp; I don't think it could reach 80mph :(
lol, my mom's cavalier was like that.. i got used to driving the supra doing a lot of engine braking... didn't work out so hot in the slushbox cavalier...

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
K, so i have a 327 for my chevelle, what's the best way to get 400-500+ hp with best sound?? not too much for turbos, but i love the look of the blowers that come out of the hood... would a cam and one of those do it?

With the right heads/cam/compression, 400hp is do-able. 327's love to rev...so the are fun "little" motors. BUT, due to their smaller cid, they don't make as much torque as larger motors. You can get more out of it, but would be less street-able. You could always built a bullet-proof 400hp motor and add a nice little 100 shot nitrous system on it.

With a blower, (depending on what size) 400hp would be pretty easy...but not cheap and you'll have to build the bottom end, cooling and fuel system a bit more bullet-proof. But if all you wanted was 400hp, you wouldn't have to spin the blower too fast, so it would be a relatively conservative setup...pump gas wouldn't be a problem. Also, there's a lot more tuning that goes into it...carb and throttle adjustments can be a pain. The best thing about blowers is...when you need more power, just swap a pulley (and belt) and hold on.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok... well all i've got's the block :D, so i've got plenty of room to build.. I think my dad's vette ('68, same engine), is gonna be pushing 375 without a blower... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
ok... well all i've got's the block :D, so i've got plenty of room to build.. I think my dad's vette ('68, same engine), is gonna be pushing 375 without a blower... :rolleyes:

327's are nice in old 'vettes because they are light cars.

It's really just a matter of how much you want to spend and what you want to do with the car. If you just want a nice cruiser/occasional racer...get a nice set of Dart heads, roller cam, 10:1 pistons and call it a day. If money isn't a concern and you want more of a head-turner and balls to the wall...then add a blower into the mix.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm thinking balls to the wall weekend car... :cool:

this car will probably be progressive... depending on how much money i have after i graduate, and i guess i also have to decide if i want the new camaro first, or if i just wanna restore the chevelle and keep daily driving my supra... i'll have at least 30k available at that point, so it's up in the air i guess, doubt i'll put more than 10k into the chevelle though, i'll do the work myself, including paint..

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
That's a nice Chevelle.:thumbsup:

I'd just wait to see how much $$ you have to play with. Don't start buying engine parts until you know exactly what you are building.

I had a 6-71blown 468 in my '79 Malibu. I loved the blower motor...it's an insane feeling having that much power at ANY rpm...it was hard to see over though.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Buy a 5th gen, it'll be a fun car that is reliable and backed by a warranty.

Sell the supra, take the cash and mod the camaro a little.

Then once you are ready...take the chevelle head on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts