Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to put an exhaust system on and I know I'm going with Borla but I'm indecisive between the options. Course Ive done my research but listening on a computer is a little different than in person and I've yet to find them in my area. Can anyone suggest one over the other between the "S Type" and the "ATAK" exhausts?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the "S" type and it sounds better than the Atak. I live here in Ca close to the Borla HQ and they used my car (L99) to do some R&D. Just recently they asked me to come in to set up the Atak on it to see what the difference would be. The installer and shop supervisor and I all agreed that the "S" sounded the same if not better than the Atak. Now that is on the L99. Either way I dont think you can go wrong. Good Luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im getting ready to put an exhaust system on and I know I'm going with Borla but I'm indecisive between the options. Course Ive done my research but listening on a computer is a little different than in person and I've yet to find them in my area. Can anyone suggest one over the other between the "S Type" and the "ATAK" exhausts?
I've actually had both systems on my car, and each has their strengths. The S has a deeper rumble, but also has more drone because of the lower frequency. The ATAK is the more aggressive if the two, and just sounds meaner IMO (it's the one I kept). It really comes down to the kind of sound you want.

Mine is also an L99.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am getting a LS3 2SS and I have in my future Borla Long Tubes with the Borla ATAK. It is still a little over a month off but wanted to through in my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have the Borla touring cat back with Kooks LTs and high flow cats. I like it alot. It has a drone when the AFM kicks in.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I have American Racing longtubes , And Borla S type exhaust.

IF you have a L99 if you dont get AFM tuned out you will get a anoyying sound when AFM kicks in.

S type has a nice deep Tone with some drone throughout the exhaust note.

Atak reminds me a lot of Corsa its more Raspy and has a higher pitch.

I think S type has more drone however imo I like the drone.

Drone can go away if you know how to drive the car and make it go away.

its all in the throttle.

listen to sound clips on youtube I say go with s type :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
S type

I have American Racing longtubes , And Borla S type exhaust.

IF you have a L99 if you dont get AFM tuned out you will get a anoyying sound when AFM kicks in.

S type has a nice deep Tone with some drone throughout the exhaust note.

Atak reminds me a lot of Corsa its more Raspy and has a higher pitch.

I think S type has more drone however imo I like the drone.

Drone can go away if you know how to drive the car and make it go away.

its all in the throttle.

listen to sound clips on youtube I say go with s type :thumbsup:

I totally agree. i just had my aftermarket air intake, ARH long tube headers(no Cats) and borla s type installed and dynno tunned. Let me just say wow wow. I love the deeper rumble of the s type. My tune showed 450 rwhp and 500 torque. My friend has the atak and as said above is higher pitch and raspy. But it's all about what you like. I like the deeper sound.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've actually had both systems on my car, and each has their strengths. The S has a deeper rumble, but also has more drone because of the lower frequency. The ATAK is the more aggressive if the two, and just sounds meaner IMO (it's the one I kept). It really comes down to the kind of sound you want.

Mine is also an L99.
This pretty well sums it up. I am looking for a local to help us with a video of the S-Type but here is a good one we shot of the ATAK.

My personal favorite is the Stainless Works Retro Chambered. It is both deep and aggressive. It is hard to tell because we had to turn down the sensitivity on the microphone, but it is actually louder and obviously deeper than the ATAK. Drone is very minimal.

·
Registered
202 Posts
noticed the johnson county tag, where you from in Ks? I live in Ottawa,Ks. Im ordering my camaro soon and would like to find future camaro cruise friends

·
ユキヒョウ
1,442 Posts
The ATAK is the most aggressive of the two. If you never install LT headers then you should be ok with the ATAK. I've read posts from others' here and in other forums that LT + ATAK will make your ears bleed.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The ATAK is the most aggressive of the two. If you never install LT headers then you should be ok with the ATAK. I've read posts from others' here and in other forums that LT + ATAK will make your ears bleed.
It is most certainly very aggressive but it isn't completely redonkulous. Here are a couple of videos 2011 2SS/RS shot of his car. We set him up with Stainless Works 1 7/8 headers and a Borla ATAK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the SLP loudmouth and they are irritating at low throttle usage. Has anyone hear both the Loudmouth and the ATAK? If so, does the ATAK have less drone and vibration or are they similar?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why does GM only offer the performance exhaust for the LS3 engine and not for the
L99?
I heard that Borla makes these axhaust for GM.
If you buy the Borla exhaust, they say it will fit both the LS3 and the L99, go fiqure
GM.
How bad is the drone on the L99 with the "S" series after axle exhaust.
I want to get something to make the car a little louder, but don't want to shoot myself
in the foot and end up with alot of drone noise in the cabin.
any help would be appreciated
thanks

·
Banned
173 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts