Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my catch can (I don't need any comments on the can itself, I've read all the back and forth and decided I was going to do it) and I'm not real fond of the rubber hose. I am thinking about replacing it with the stainless steel braided hoses, but wanted to see if the forum has any comments on those in general. I am also considering replacing other hoses, so please feel free to expand into other hoses, if there is any difference? I know they are said to be stronger (I think this to be true, but if not, tell me), but are there other benefits? Are there negatives? Difficulties in fit? Any favorite suppliers? What variations are there in cost? Anything else? Also, not really interested in comments on maintaining originality, since it is an option that can easily be reversed (as is almost everything I have done to date). TIA

also, are there variations in what you can buy? colored? Different braid patterns? Different strip widths? TIAA :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If you use all the correct fittings it will look amazing. But to do it right its costly.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you use all the correct fittings it will look amazing. But to do it right its costly.
:lol: we are already looking at a money pit on mods, so it might as well look good ... I really want to get my plans in line on some long tubes headers, but it is sounding like good old VA is going to keep me from doing that :mad:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not like the line is gonna be pressurized. The flimsy rubber hose is just fine for what it's going to do.
ya I know, I just didn't really like the idea of more plain rubber hoses ... kind of tired of that look

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope, not a chance ... I've been on a motorcycle twice and off twice ... not about to make that my primary (or any) mode of transportation

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
It's not like the line is gonna be pressurized. The flimsy rubber hose is just fine for what it's going to do.
Wow...thanks for stating the obvious.

That statement was because of your apparent love of shiny stainless steel... Lol
I suppose you like your women common and dull too. :lol::lol::D

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That statement was because of your apparent love of shiny stainless steel... Lol
Well in the original post I thought I kind of made it clear I was looking for plusses and minuses ... granted, catch can hoses are not pressurized, but radiator hoses are ... so I was looking for comments beyond looks ... so now I have two pieces of useful information ... 1) they are kind of expensive, but as I have said a couple of times in a couple of different threads, whenever you start modding these things, it tends to cost you some cash and you have to decide where you want to invest your money and 2) on non-pressurized hoses, they only serve a purpose of looks. As Envy asks, how about some productive conversation on the topic?

I already ordered a 3 foot section of hose and the clamps, but I think I should have ordered the nicer ends (i.e. I should have called in and got help first on getting the right part but I wasn't thinking right) ... I will go back and order those. Cost me $20 so far. I am pretty sure I am going to do the radiator hoses, but one step at a time. Not exactly sure what other hoses make a difference yet, but would like to know what hoses it does make a difference on.

Since I'm not ready to shoot my warranty, I'm not going to do some things on the car. Since Virginia is a PITA on some other things for inspection, I have to figure out my options in that direction and decide if I can do anything or not. Since some things work perfectly fine right now (for example the exhaust) but will have to be replaced somewhere down the road anyway, those are on my later list. But dressing up things gives some individuality and I know I can do them myself (I'm no mechanic, but can probably do a good many things, if I invest the time), so that's the mode I am in right now.

Can we go from there now?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well in the original post I thought I kind of made it clear I was looking for plusses and minuses ... granted, catch can hoses are not pressurized, but radiator hoses are ... so I was looking for comments beyond looks ... so now I have two pieces of useful information ... 1) they are kind of expensive, but as I have said a couple of times in a couple of different threads, whenever you start modding these things, it tends to cost you some cash and you have to decide where you want to invest your money and 2) on non-pressurized hoses, they only serve a purpose of looks. As Envy asks, how about some productive conversation on the topic?

I already ordered a 3 foot section of hose and the clamps, but I think I should have ordered the nicer ends (i.e. I should have called in and got help first on getting the right part but I wasn't thinking right) ... I will go back and order those. Cost me $20 so far. I am pretty sure I am going to do the radiator hoses, but one step at a time. Not exactly sure what other hoses make a difference yet, but would like to know what hoses it does make a difference on.

Since I'm not ready to shoot my warranty, I'm not going to do some things on the car. Since Virginia is a PITA on some other things for inspection, I have to figure out my options in that direction and decide if I can do anything or not. Since some things work perfectly fine right now (for example the exhaust) but will have to be replaced somewhere down the road anyway, those are on my later list. But dressing up things gives some individuality and I know I can do them myself (I'm no mechanic, but can probably do a good many things, if I invest the time), so that's the mode I am in right now.

Can we go from there now?
Well you want a plus and minus list I can give you that.

Plus side of adding stainless hoses:
-They look pretty.

Minuses:
-Factory hoses are often custom molded to fit the car or fit around objects on the motor to prevent abrasion or other problems. Steel lines can't do this very well.
-stainless lines are **** expensive.
-the pressure on the factory hoses will take decades to bust the hoses. Decades. That means the car will probably never have this problem as long as you own it.
-adds more weight to an already heavy car.
-doesn't do anything for you performance wise.
-can cause issue with chaffing or excess wear on parts the stainless lines may contact.
-replacing the hoses will almost certainly void your warranty if it ever goes to the shop for engine trouble.

Seems like a pretty easy choice to me. Stainless lines are great if you wanna supersize your brakes, but other than that, they are almost useless. Unless you are running some extreme amount of radiator coolant pressure...

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, but this just isn't a mod I would bother with unless I absolutely wanted to just blow tons of cash on my car and get nothing back out of it except something shiny under the hood.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I have something to add to that...

-They look pretty.

Minuses:
-Factory hoses are often custom molded to fit the car or fit around objects on the motor to prevent abrasion or other problems. Steel lines can't do this very well.
-the pressure on the factory hoses will take decades to bust the hoses. Decades. That means the car will probably never have this problem as long as you own it. Not really a minus...just another unneeded opinion.
-adds more weight to an already heavy car. Only a minus to those who have an interest in racing their Camaros.
-doesn't do anything for you performance wise. Stating the obvious again.
-can cause issue with chaffing or excess wear on parts the stainless lines may contact. Good point!
-replacing the hoses will almost certainly void your warranty if it ever goes to the shop for engine trouble. That's ridiculous...lol

Seems like a pretty easy choice to me. Stainless lines are great if you wanna supersize your brakes, but other than that, they are almost useless. Unless you are running some extreme amount of radiator coolant pressure...

I'm not trying to be a pessimist here, but this just isn't a mod I would bother with unless I absolutely wanted to just blow tons of cash on my car and get nothing back out of it except something shiny under the hood.
Why are you so concerned with someone else's choice of modifications? I hate to disappoint you...but NO ONE is modding their car to try and please you!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I run these on my cavalier from the engine to catch can, and to the intake.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220712-b
90 degree
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220702-b
straight
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220788-b
hose....

The father runs these on his t-bucket.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-632140/
hose
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-612433/overview/
90 degree

I have used the fuel cell bolt in -8an and -10an fittings so I can drill and bolt in an -an fitting so I do not have to weld anything. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

-They look pretty.

Minuses:
-the pressure on the factory hoses will take decades to bust the hoses. Decades. That means the car will probably never have this problem as long as you own it.
-adds more weight to an already heavy car.
-doesn't do anything for you performance wise.
-can cause issue with chaffing or excess wear on parts the stainless lines may contact.
-replacing the hoses will almost certainly void your warranty if it ever goes to the shop for engine trouble.

That's better ... I am definitely not racing my car, so that is not a worry ... the hoses I am looking at are wrapped factory hoses so I know my warranty is not an issue and nothing should chaff, but something to be aware of ... extra weight is always something you don't want, but, really, do they add a significant amount, I mean some people carry tools in the trunk that weigh more ... I have had a hose go on my 71 Nova long ago, wasn't pretty for me as my temp gauge wire was also broke and I didn't know it, so never say never ... "pretty" and expensive are left ... some would already say I have a lot of pretty and expensive under my hood (see my build thread) and I am okay with that, as said I was looking for some things to make it different from others and that I can do myself.

I do appreciate your answers and things to think about, and its not that I am adverse to performance upgrades (I am definitely not); I just need to figure out my direction on those considering the things I listed before - warranty, VA inspection (which is a huge PITA I am finding out), my ability to do some of the work - I also want to understand the 'bang for the buck' on those upgrades and things that don't cancel each other out if you are not thinking. As I'm not a mechanic, I guess I lean toward the easy things

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I run these on my cavalier from the engine to catch can, and to the intake.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220712-b
90 degree
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220702-b
straight
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-220788-b
hose....

The father runs these on his t-bucket.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-632140/
hose
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-612433/overview/
90 degree

I have used the fuel cell bolt in -8an and -10an fittings so I can drill and bolt in an -an fitting so I do not have to weld anything. :thumbsup:
I hadn't looked at Summit yet, will need to check those out. I see most of those are screw in fittings, the you tube vid on RX install seems to indicate a push and twist or something, so I need to look for that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have something to add to that...

Why are you so concerned with someone else's choice of modifications? I hate to disappoint you...but NO ONE is modding their car to try and please you!
And no offense, but I didn't ask your opinion on the matter of my thoughts. I posted what I think if the matter. The OP can take it or leave it. If you really want the truth of it, I think the whole idea of upgrading a hose because I'm too scared to mod anything else is the car is a fools errand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's better ... I am definitely not racing my car, so that is not a worry ... the hoses I am looking at are wrapped factory hoses so I know my warranty is not an issue and nothing should chaff, but something to be aware of ... extra weight is always something you don't want, but, really, do they add a significant amount, I mean some people carry tools in the trunk that weigh more ... I have had a hose go on my 71 Nova long ago, wasn't pretty for me as my temp gauge wire was also broke and I didn't know it, so never say never ... "pretty" and expensive are left ... some would already say I have a lot of pretty and expensive under my hood (see my build thread) and I am okay with that, as said I was looking for some things to make it different from others and that I can do myself.

I do appreciate your answers and things to think about, and its not that I am adverse to performance upgrades (I am definitely not); I just need to figure out my direction on those considering the things I listed before - warranty, VA inspection (which is a huge PITA I am finding out), my ability to do some of the work - I also want to understand the 'bang for the buck' on those upgrades and things that don't cancel each other out if you are not thinking. As I'm not a mechanic, I guess I lean toward the easy things
Like I've said before, it's your car, do what you want to it. The fact that they are factory wrapped hoses is a bit better though. I was thinking you were having these made up yourself lol. And yeah the weight would be negligible, but it's still more weight. I myself feel the factory hoses are fine for basic engine use. If you planned to mod your motor completely out, I might consider braided lines as a security measure, but even then, it wouldn't be the top of my list of worries.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And no offense, but I didn't ask your opinion on the matter of my thoughts. I posted what I think if the matter. The OP can take it or leave it. If you really want the truth of it, I think the whole idea of upgrading a hose because I'm too scared to mod anything else is the car is a fools errand.
It's not "scared" to mod ... it's don't want to mod and then roll into the inspection station and be told, you have 15 days to get it in code and thereby flushed the entire cost of the mod down the toilet and end up stuck with something I can't run on the car. For example, I was thinking of long tube headers, but then found out I probably can't get rid of the resonators (at least not yet) ... if I had bought the LT's and put them on, I'd be out probably $800 and 2 days of work on the car at least. I like to know what I am up against at the inspection station. I KNOW I won't fail for hoses.

Anyway, that's why I asked, I wanted opinions ... In the end, I may or may not wrap some other hoses, I'll see what the catch can hose looks like once I put it on and go from there. Other things will come (at least I hope), its just they might be further down the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts