Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys doing your break in? There has been huge debate on the benefits of hard or soft break ins, Anyone doing a hard break in? Or following the gm guide to the letter?

·
Registered
165 Posts
How are you guys doing your break in? There has been huge debate on the benefits of hard or soft break ins, Anyone doing a hard break in? Or following the gm guide to the letter?
just drive it the way your going to drive it. ive done that with all my ls powered vehicles with not one hint of trouble. i definately wasnt easy on the 2010 breaking it in and its 100% fine even at the 3500 mile mark. if it breaks it wasnt built right! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
I do not know what the GM guide line is for beakin but I am doing a gradual breakin by upping the max RPM by 500 every 200 miles. Right now I am at 6000 and have 1200 miles of the car. The Camaro feels strong , pulls hard and should be ready to redline now but I am trying to keep it slow and steady. Once I get the oil change at 1500 she should be ready to race.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've been doing my best to behave, but its tough. I think the book says not over 4000 rpm before 1500 miles, I've certainly exceeded that a few times, it also says not to drive at the same rpm range for a distance...kinda hard on the interstate when I travel 200 miles each weekend. I think alot of that is to cover there butts for warranty reasons to try and make people behave. I know when we used to break in race motors, it was a 15-20 minute break in, and the next day we were at the track thrashing them, so my honest guess is drive as you please.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
if you happen to have a automatic then drive it normal and then after a few hundread miles like 300 gradually start to get on the throttle more and more but drive it like you will daily. DONT BABY IT TO MUCH. People who have babied autos up until about 1500miles and then started to get on there cars are now stuck with cars making 0-60 times in like 7secs :eek: these cars are smarter than we think they are and learning from day one how to be driven. REMEMBER these cars respond on how they are taught from an early age.....kind of like kids lol

This is another reason why I want to order my car........I wanna be the only one who drives my car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Opinions about break in periods vary as much as opinions about cereal. To me, whether break in periods prove to be bubkuss for newer model cars with the new technology or not, I took it easy on mine for the first 1000 miles. I figure it doesn't cost me anything to be gentle for the first three weeks and it MAY save me thousands later. Well worth the choice to me.

Now that I've cleared 1000 miles and replaced the oil, it's time to drive it like it begs to be driven.

Will I ever know if taking it easy for the first three weeks really made a difference? No, there is really no way to truely determine that. However, it has given me the comfort of mind knowing that I did what I could to hopefully prevent future problems, and that's all you can really hope for. There really is no way to measure what ifs after the fact.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking at how much time, effort, and technology went in to designing the engine, why on earth would you break it in by following the advise of random people on the internet? Wouldn't this be the best time to follow GM's advice? Do you think they just made up their break in procedure or do you think they spelled it out for a reason? I vote to follow GM's procedure.

·
Premium Member
8,645 Posts
I did a little of both easy and rough (had to show the mustangs whos back) but mostly easy til 1500 miles now its broke in and now i just drive.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I did a little of both easy and rough (had to show the mustangs whos back) but mostly easy til 1500 miles now its broke in and now i just drive.

I've only put 300 miles on the car in almost three weeks and it's killing me.
I pulled alongside a POS Mustang at a Red light last week, where my lane was going to end about 300 yards after the light.
I let him go first, and he stuck his arm out the window, acting like "WTF was that?"
I wanted to be able to show him a sign, like "Break in period!!". :lol:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm pretty much driving mine normally, just keeping the RPM's down under 4k.

I've always heard the most important thing is NOT to keep it at constant speed/RPM's like using cruise control on the highway for long distances.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For the most part, I've "stayed between the lines" of the owners' manual. There aren't too many opportunities for me to cut loose on my daily commute. Plus, I've never had so much HP to play with, so there's a huge learning curve for me. Not that I haven't shown a few youngsters what a Camaro back end looks like, but until we get more used to each other, I'm doing it in my own comfort zone. I don't want pictures of my guy in pieces plastered all over the internet if I act stupid with him.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After 300-500 miles start grip & rip. Change the oil @ 1200 miles. Vary the rpms up and down light load and heavy load. Get em' loose quick makes the fastest engines.......

·
Registered
514 Posts
For me it is simple.....drive it like you stole it:lol:
I have owned many new vehicles....too much babying and you get smoke (like my wife's monte carlo). Stick your foot in it. Just remember to take care of it. Do you really believe that the racers from the 1960' & 70's babied the cars engine until it was broken in? No, we didn't:lol:
:rock5thvert:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I followed the book to the letter the first 500 miles. Nothing over 4000 RPMS and under 100. After that I started going over up to 4500 not many times. I also would vary the speed from between 65-80 on the highway. I now have 1100 on it, and last week I had it over 100 for the first time, and held it for about 1-2 miles. I'm starting to launch it harder as well. When I get it out next weekend, I'm going to let it loose. No more holding it back :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Theres a lot of debate on how to properly break-in a car. In most forums, these threads tend to go on forever leading to the following conflicting pools of thought:

- Follow the owners manual i.e, baby it
- Drive it like you always do
- Drive it like you stole it
- Break-in periods are not necessary for newer cars given the precision machining at the factory. (As compared to the older machining methods or, if you built the motor yourself without factory machining tools).

I tend to follow the owners manual but change the oil a little earlier than usual.

There is generally consensus on the following however:

- Vary your RPM during the first 1000 miles. (also noted in most new car manuals) Allow the car to engine brake slightly once in a while. This draws oil toward the top of the rings due to the vacuum created during engine braking.

- Gradually increase RPM.

- Do your first oil change a little earlier than what you would normally do. I did mine at 2000 miles. Some extremists do the following: once at 500, another at 1000, 1500 and then normal intervals thereafter. I think this is overkill and is primarily for people who rebuild their own engines which may not be machined very well. They would get more particles in the oil and clogged filters.

Whichever method you choose, make sure the car is warmed up before you rev it up. Never floor a cold engine.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I plan to drive it like I'll drive it all the time...which includes normal speeds and high speeds...I'm not going to let some other car show me up at a stop light....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i was wondering what the break-in methods would be for this new camaro...

when my father-in-law bought his LS2 goat, he completely forgot to ask (good thing i was there to pop the Q haha), and they said to pretty much let loose, but not to drive at the same speed for a long time/distance.
i thought it was strange because they didnt give us anything in writing (some of you mentioned a "book"?) we drove home between 65 and 100+. white knuckle moment for me because i trust his driving but he had a total of 5 minutes in a car he never drove in his life...

i also plan on following GM's instructions to the letter. unless i have to wait so long i buy a used one... :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Every car is broken in before you ever get it. Each car is run on the chassis rolls at the end of line to make sure it works and passes EPA testing. I'm sure there are some videos on U-tube somewhere of the process. This is a short 10-minute cycle but the engine is run at all speeds from a cold start. And before the engine gets in the car, it is run at the engine plant (on natural gas) to make sure it works as well.. The break-in period is more for the rest of the car ( brakes, tranny, driver, etc.) than the engine. And don't bother changing the oil until the oil monitor says its time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I haven't gotten a letter from GM about te breakin. But with the advise from here, I have been taking it easy, not gunning it when I take off. I have already have 380 miles since picking my Camaro up last Thursday afternoon. Can someone PM me to tell me where the battery is? No, I have not had trouble with it, but did GM hide the battery some where in front of a tire?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts