Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a "compact" sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods -- it's made in China.

More...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not surprising at all. Just like Ford and Chrysler, GM is trying to buy out its employees and reduce cost any way they can. The foreign markets are extremely competitive because they do not have to pay there employees $50 an hour plus lucrative benefits for doing a job you can essentially train a monkey to do. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to call anyone of there employees incompetent but just overpaid.

You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles.

I don't know about you but I think that the price of cars is becoming outrageous. I want a camaro but I will not be able to afford one.

In the area where I live you can buy a pretty nice house for $200,000 dollars. So, if I wanted to buy a loaded convertible camaro, I would be buying a quarter of an nice house. I don't know the facts on this but did a fully loaded convertible first gen camaro cost as much as a quarter of a nice house?

As you can see I hate the fact that car prices are so high when I know that they do not have to be. If someone knows this subject well I would like to hear what your thought are.

Till the prices come down on the new cars I will just have to be happy buying old ones and fixing them up as I go.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Not surprising at all. Just like Ford and Chrysler, GM is trying to buy out its employees and reduce cost any way they can. The foreign markets are extremely competitive because they do not have to pay there employees $50 an hour plus lucrative benefits for doing a job you can essentially train a monkey to do. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to call anyone of there employees incompetent but just overpaid.

You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles.

I don't know about you but I think that the price of cars is becoming outrageous. I want a camaro but I will not be able to afford one.

In the area where I live you can buy a pretty nice house for $200,000 dollars. So, if I wanted to buy a loaded convertible camaro, I would be buying a quarter of an nice house. I don't know the facts on this but did a fully loaded convertible first gen camaro cost as much as a quarter of a nice house?

As you can see I hate the fact that car prices are so high when I know that they do not have to be. If someone knows this subject well I would like to hear what your thought are.

Till the prices come down on the new cars I will just have to be happy buying old ones and fixing them up as I go.
You cannot be serious when you say 'You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles'

While some line workers make more than you would like to, GM has allowed that to happen hand in hand with the UAW. Sounds like jealousy more than anything else.

Also, just because you do not feel you will be able to afford the car you want, don't take that out on people making more money than you.

Some people want a Corvette ZR1 but are just as happy buying the base model hatchback Corvette... Sometimes you buy the base model of a car you like just because you love the styling and need to live within your means...

That said, the aired out '67 Chevy in your avatar is badass - reminds me of my current project :D

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a "compact" sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods -- it's made in China.

More...
Very old news. the Saturn Vue (Equinox counterpart) started using a Honda V6 motor as far back as 2004.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Very old news. the Saturn Vue (Equinox counterpart) started using a Honda V6 motor as far back as 2004.
Yes true. But the J35 was designed by Honda of America and built in the Anna, Ohio plant. I'll admit, I did know that this engine is american designed and built (I used to sell Acuras as well as obsess over them. Love 'em) but I did look up the exact plant. :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Since this thread pertains to the costs of making an engine in the US, might I ask what do you all think would be a good way to "de-unionize" the auto industry? I'm all for the workers having good benefits and pay, but to the extent that you start to cripple an industry, thats alittle too far in my book.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You cannot be serious when you say 'You know something is wrong when the people that are being paid to assemble vehicles are making much more money then the people who are suppose to buy the vehicles'

While some line workers make more than you would like to, GM has allowed that to happen hand in hand with the UAW. Sounds like jealousy more than anything else.

Also, just because you do not feel you will be able to afford the car you want, don't take that out on people making more money than you.

Some people want a Corvette ZR1 but are just as happy buying the base model hatchback Corvette... Sometimes you buy the base model of a car you like just because you love the styling and need to live within your means...

That said, the aired out '67 Chevy in your avatar is badass - reminds me of my current project :D

I will agree that people who want a ZR-1 and can not afford one may have little to argue about. But my point stems down to the fact that American made vehicles use to dominate because they were the only companies producing cars (essentially). But now American manufactured cars have stiff competition from outside sources (China, Japan, Korea) and these outside sources are able to produce cars, ship them here, and have a huge tax placed on them from our government and still be more then competitive in our market. So, basically since our American manufactured cars are made by people who benefit from a previous era when American companies were the only companies and there Unions have a stranglehold on the Automotive companies (GM, Ford, Chrysler) us the consumer now have to pay more for a car then what it is worth.

I wouldn't call it jealousy but more anger because the automotive companies have allowed themselves to be overrun by the UAW and now it cost us consumers more money (a lot more). If we want to get in a pissing match we could talk about McDonalds worker starting a union and causing the price of a cheese burger to go from $1 to $4. We both know that that McDonalds cheese burger is not worth $4 and we will buy where it is cheaper. But if the government steps in and raises the price of the other outside cheeseburger by applying a tax then we are forced to buy a $4 cheeseburger. This is my point.

I am not crying that they make more then me but I am crying because they are causing a price hike where there should not be one. I would be able to afford a new camaro if it was sold for what it is worth.

Lets just say that I dislike buying a commodity for more then it is worth.

Thanks for the complement about the avatar, I also have aproject. But it is in about a thousand pieces right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since this thread pertains to the costs of making an engine in the US, might I ask what do you all think would be a good way to "de-unionize" the auto industry? I'm all for the workers having good benefits and pay, but to the extent that you start to cripple an industry, thats alittle too far in my book.
Actually, I believe that GM, Ford , and Chrysler are in the process of buying out there current emplyees. Which means they get an early retirement essentially. Then, the employees are able to be hired back at lower wages and different benefits. Hopefully this will help in the long run by lowering the prices of the American made vehicles.

·
2,774 Posts
Jake I see where your going with your analogy and most of your point..
but the thing is, the problem is how our country does business..were playing in a way the rest of the world doesn't plays. Yes I agree Unions are trying to play like its 1960's again and no competition.
The legacy cost however is what like 1-2-3K? On a car? The over all cost is based on what has to go into a car..yes we would love that a car cost 3K less on average. But to blame just unions? Its all part of a bigger problem and yes they are a big part of it.
Truthfully the Z28 should come in at less than 30K..I dont care if Lutz says its going to be a better car..once you break the 30K barrier your opening up to many more cars that can compete with the camaro in price..I see many GT stangs go for 23-25K and are very nice..if the Z28 is over 30K?? you kidding me?? It will not sell I dont care if its 10x faster than the Stang...sorry..
I could go on and off track about thoughts about the whole problem..but yea the unions are a problem..but also people buying foreign products over our own..that is the bigger problem..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sure you are right Z28 Autobot but that does not alleviate the fact that we pay more for vehicles then they are worth.

What do you mean by "the problem is how our country does business..were playing in a way the rest of the world doesn't plays".

·
2,774 Posts
Can I ask you..What do you think a cars worth?

Car companies do not make every single bolt and part for the car. Contracted companies do and they want to get paid like every other company. Many of these companies make parts for both domestic and import cars built here in the U.S.. So they name a price and in the end you pay. Could it be lower? Sure but like I said..the parts company wants its $$$..if they can build it cheaper it would be built cheaper..but again there comes in what the customer wants and what the goverment demands be in the car..you want all this hi tech stuff..you pay for it..you want high end materials..you pay for it..the goverment demands saftey this and that..you pay for it..When it comes down to it and you break it down and I have heard it from many people and not just car guys a MSRP is actually a good deal..you do get what you pay for. But when the dealer bends you over and hands yuo the lube thats when you get screwed.
Now again thats on many of the cars out there..trucks..well thats a change and now those can be sold for less..but guess what if that happened GM and Ford would be gone by now and Toyota would not have its billion dollar ad budget it has now either to keep this problem going..

The thought about us not playing the way the other countries play is that they are ramping up to compete with us or even take our manufacturing away from us.. And we as a country are letting them..from the corperations all over to your next door neighbor..when we were on the top of the food chain we could do anything we want..and it worked..when "greed" (now) took over "responsibility" (then) Thats when we lost our basis for a competative manufacturing country..who owns that now? China..China owns much of the U.S. now..how bout your Fed. tax stimulus check..yea thank China..why does China have the money and we dont? They make our products for the most part and it is getting impossible to choose from U.S. or China made products..Our companies are going to full greed over responsibility. OUr Unions are not looking at the big picture and now the big one American Axle wants to move the manufacturing to Mexico..why?? to keep making money..
In short our goverment, CEO's and our Unions are destroying our country..all to keep thier wallets fat. Well mine is not and in fact I am taking huge hit on everything I try and do. And I am sure I am not alone.

This coutry is in for a real rude awakeing real soon and the ones who put us in this position will be the last to say "ohh its that bad" Yea..its that bad were on the front lines..the blue collar workers..we see it comming..

·
2,774 Posts
and as a side note..one good example of a car comapny getting the shaft..the LX cars from Chrysler, 300, Charger or Magnum..ever sit in one? How the interior is real cheap? Yet your still paying good money for it..well dont blame Chysler..Benz did that..they had very nice appointed interiors with some great accents..but because of the sucking of funds and profits Benz did mopar had to put in crappy materials at the higher end price..

Chrysler before the merger was the most profitable of the big 3 back in the 90's Now? Well they are like a deflated ballon with most of its air out of it..well that air is the millions Benz sucked from then when they were "merged" with them..When the penny pinching and lower grade materials used in Chrysler cars caught up to D/C and they lost money Benz dumped them..Its real sad..but that what happens now in the world. Benz manipulated Chrysler and took advantage of our greed and we lost out..

·
Registered
637 Posts
and as a side note..one good example of a car comapny getting the shaft..the LX cars from Chrysler, 300, Charger or Magnum..ever sit in one? Almost daily! :DHow the interior is real cheap? Not sure what you mean by cheap. No its not rich corinthian leather but is every bit as good as any other new car out there. Are they all cheap?Yet your still paying good money for it..well dont blame Chysler..Benz did that..they had very nice appointed interiors with some great accents..but because of the sucking of funds and profits Benz did mopar had to put in crappy materials at the higher end price..

Chrysler before the merger was the most profitable of the big 3 back in the 90's Now? Well they are like a deflated ballon with most of its air out of it..well that air is the millions Benz sucked from then when they were "merged" with them..When the penny pinching and lower grade materials used in Chrysler cars caught up to D/C and they lost money Benz dumped them..Its real sad..but that what happens now in the world. Benz manipulated Chrysler and took advantage of our greed and we lost out..

·
2,774 Posts
dshane..good example you own one of the cars..
the interiors were supposed to be as amazing as the outside. Even Chrysler admitted they went "over budget" and had to change the materials going into the interior (Yea right..More like Benz skimmed to much off the top to allow for the upper level trim)
Now I am trying to remember the quote and what was actually said it was some time ago that I read..but it was one before the actual car came out and the image that they were bringing was of a company that was owned by MB..that a lot of what MB knew about making classy and amazing interiors would be worked into the LX cars..The interiors look decent..but award winning?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts