Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I paid $5 for this title!
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

Am I asking for bureaucratic troubles here?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts

I wouldn't think it'd be a problem...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.:thumbsup:

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think so...not sure, but you MIGHT even be able to have it registered in cali when you buy it. My dealer had one of their orders canceled, so they still have at least 1 allocated Camaro available (at MSRP)...PM me if you want their info.:thumbsup:
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. ;) (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. :D *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I'm still holding out for the 'vert. ;) (Even though that might change soon.)

(Also, I have zero money$ right now while I'm still in school. The Camaro is slated to be a graduation present to myself. :D *crosses fingers*)

But thanks for the offer!
oh, ok....good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've always wanted to do a road trip across the States, and am quite fond of the idea of picking up my car from a dealer on the East Coast and driving back home to LA in it.

However, this is California, which means that as far as emissions go it's really Nazifornia (even if I'm in favor of such strict regulations most of the time), and that means used out of state vehicles are always a sketchy for that and other reasons.0

That's alright, though, since the Camaro won't exactly be a used vehicle (at least not mine if I get one). I guess I'm just wondering if there is any paperwork or any annoyances that I might not be expecting when "importing" a car from another state.

(From what I gather the Camaro will be completely identical for all states, so street legality shouldn't be an issue at all.)

I was thinking about buying and registering the car in Nevada. My reasons are tax in CA - which you will have to pay when you register it in Cali and the yearly registration is a huge hear - or will soon be with the local budget crisis (not to mention the national one!).

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Yes, you'll have to pay the taxes for wherever it will be registered.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
so what you're saying is you'll pay 2 state taxes?(say you buy a car in NJ*7% tax* and you register the car in North Carolina*3%* do you still have to pay both NJ AND NC taxes?.or am i wrong?
No, you pay the tax for wherever it'll be registered...assuming that when you buy it, the dealer is gonna register it for you.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
50 state emissions for the Camaro - you'll be fine. No tax in WI for out of state purchases. You can follow Dan back to Arizona with his Camaro :5go:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Buy it wherever you want, but you'll pay California sales tax on it no matter what. Just be sure you don't pay the other state's tax too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when i got stationed in california i had to get my motorcycle registration renewed so i went to the DMV and they tried to tell me that since i bought it in another state and hadn't owned it for a year, i had to pay sales tax on it. so they tried to charge me either 400 or 600 and change extra. i told them i would rather go to jail for expired tag than pay tax on it twice. just one more reason to hate california.

·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like how you registered just to post hate on California. :rolleyes: The DMV everywhere is either completely comprised of incompetent crooks or at least run by them. I'm used to it already.

And the break-in period, a cross-country trip might be a bit rough on a brand new vehicle. :p
A careful cross-country trip is just the kind of break-in a muscle car would like. Then I can unleash the power when I get back and have the first service. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts