Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off...I am sure this is not the first inquiry about the restrictions, so If I am repeating another post, by all means direct me to the correct location and delete this post or if anyone is knowledgeable on the subject send me a PM..

Long story short, I was wondering what these new restrictions mean for a first time camaro buyer like myself. I grew up around my father, uncle, and grandfather who all had either an SS or Z28, and subsequently fell in love with the camaro. The look, the sound..the whole 9 yards. I am young and live on a military salary, but have been saving for years to dish out 40K for an SS or Z28 type 2009/10 camaro.

My concerns are...

-will these restrictions hurt/affect me a couple years down the road after I have emptied my wallet?
-watching the trend and costs of "gas guzzlers" in the states over the past few years will 40K EVEN GET ME an SS caliber vehicle w/ or w/out base interior

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
There are discussions elsewhere, but I'll try to sum it up.

CAFE calls for car manufacturers to AVERAGE 35 mpg for their fleet by the year 2020 (If I remember that right). It used to be cars and light trucks only, but now it's all. So, a manufacturer can have a car that gets 25 mpg, if they sell as many cars that get 45 mpg as well.

It doesn't affect you once you've bought a car.

It means the manufacturers will have to work harder to make their cars and trucks more efficient from now on.

The Camaro "plan" is already in motion, and only the next gen will most likely be affected by this, not the current model/engines.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
The new CAFE laws have not even been written yet, so the automakers still don't even know how to play by the rules yet even now.

This is a response to a question about the 6th gen Camaro:
Fbodfather said:
Until the CAFE rules are written (they aren't -- only the law was passed) I think I can safely say that many programs are on 'hold' until we figure out what the rules will be and what we have to do to meet the law 'playing by the rules'

By the way -- if this does NOT make you furious at our elected officials -- it should!

Oh and welcome to the forums:hello:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are discussions elsewhere, but I'll try to sum it up.

CAFE calls for car manufacturers to AVERAGE 35 mpg for their fleet by the year 2020 (If I remember that right). It used to be cars and light trucks only, but now it's all. So, a manufacturer can have a car that gets 25 mpg, if they sell as many cars that get 45 mpg as well.

It doesn't affect you once you've bought a car.

It means the manufacturers will have to work harder to make their cars and trucks more efficient from now on.

The Camaro "plan" is already in motion, and only the next gen will most likely be affected by this, not the current model/engines.
Ahhh, thank you all for the reply. This eases my concern quite a bit. I hadn't heard much about the restrictions, but I was under the impression this was the governments step toward restricting all of our vehicles. Now I feel a little better about dumping 40K (if thats even possible) hahah

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
And the 35mpg are in 1980's terms.
So in today's EPA ratings..it's like 28.7 or something like that.

Not THAT difficult to obtain..but still a pain in the **** (No, that's not 'ass'.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.