Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all anything above $300 for a CAI is just plain stupid. Its a plastic or metal tube with a filter on it. That being said I will buy the cheapest CAI I can find.

I looked at the the claims from New Eras OTR intake and it was a whopping 18 peak hp and 19 lbs of torque for $500.

Then I looked at Texas Speed and Performances intake. Non otr. They claim 18 hp and 8 lbs of torque for $300.

So an extra $200 bills gets you maybe 10 lbs of torque?

Then you have the bwoody style CAI that grabs air from under the front bumper and relocates the wiper fluid.

They claim once again 17hp over stock for $429..plus moving your wiper reservior.

So do you think the otr and underbumper style are any better or worth the extra $200?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying one if it doesn't actually grab cool air. And I agree....I wouldn't spend much more than $300.

I'm waiting for vararam. The details aren't out yet...but here's the G8 intake details...it's a similar design. The #'s they claim are pretty impressive.

http://vararam.com/g8.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying one if it doesn't actually grab cool air. And I agree....I wouldn't spend much more than $300.

I'm waiting for vararam. The details aren't out yet...but here's the G8 intake details...it's a similar design. The #'s they claim are pretty impressive.

Yeah Im starting to lean this way as well. Thier proto-type pics made the unit look as if it might be a otr intake as well. but hard to tell with the limited pics they released.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty sure the vararam is otr. Any word on pricing for it yet?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Im pretty sure the vararam is otr. Any word on pricing for it yet?
Well I just gave them a call. Nothing is definite but they said they were looking at late august for the release, he said they haven't determined any pricing but it would probably be in the neighborhood of "4 to 4 and a half". He also mentioned that there is a preorder list on C5 with a 150 preorders already and that there might be special forum pricing. Thats alot of preorders lol I wonder how long it will take to fill them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tell you what bro, Im a cheap mother*****er and Texas Speed should have theirs in next week and they are the stock bottm end record holder for ls1 powered fbodies. They have proved to me that they know their ****. I can get a CAI for about $150 less almost two months eariler and maybe...maybe lose a few hp, Ill take it.

I personally think the CAI's bigges benifit is not the cold air, but the removal of the baffles that trap air in the intake. So it gets an easier route to the TB. Back in the day the lt1 and tpi motors used to pull about 5hp off an airfoil that diverted air to the twin tb blades better. Im not buying the hype until there is indisputable proof that one intake is $200 better in performance than another. It defeats the purpose of a Camaro. If I wanted $500 intakes ( you could buy a new manifold for that price) $1800 headers, $1800 cat backs $500 axle backs I would of bought a vette.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make your own like I did for my G8. a guy who tuned mine actually measured mine as having more flow than a OTR $350+ kit.

He was impressed. Just some plastic tubing, and huge (filter ended) S&B filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would make one that makes the mail slot functional but then again anything not stock in good ole California has to have a CARB EO #, other wise it is illegal

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which is why I will never live in California....or at least not have my car registered there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed my BWoody CAI last week got it off of EBAY, Let me tell you it made a world of difference SOTP and you can really hear it sucking in the air. Plus you get a great looking billet resevior not a cheap plastic one! And its a beautiful piece at that. Im greatly impressed with the quality and the performance gain, I don't know how much horsepower I actually gained, but with the car as heavy as it is id say atleast 20whp.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Which is why I will never live in California....or at least not have my car registered there.
As much crap as we have to go through here in California, absolutely love it here. No matter where you live here, go a couple hours in either direction and you have mountains or oceans. The only other place would be Florida or Tennessee

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

i like that design and that company sounds like they know there stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts