Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like a CAI that retains the stock airbox. Is there a company that anyone knows of that makes this? Basically I would like to get rid of the reservoirs and run a tube from the box to the throttle body...

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Blackwing has one that replaces the stock intake tube but keeps the stock airbox. I have it. Cost me $180.00 and installed in about 15 min..

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
Replacing the intake tube will not turn the stock airbox into a "cold air intake"...

I ran the Magnuson supercharger intake tube for about a year before we developed our CAI system, you can get details on that here: http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v8-engine-discussion/31146-high-flow-plastic-intake-elbow-budget.html
Yes, it does say "SUPERCHARGED" on it, but it probably works just as good as the New Era tube only, and the Blackwing tube, and I was into the whole setup on the car for about $40 rather than $90 or $180.

To my knowledge no one currently makes a "CAI conversion" tube that would replace the stock hot air intake scoop on the front of the box and run somewhere to get cold air.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Replacing the intake tube will not turn the stock airbox into a "cold air intake"...
I "believe" the OP was just "borrowing" the term when describing what he wanted to do. All this will do is eliminate the convoluted path of the stock tube and improve flow some tho the OP should add a high flow filter to take advantage of the tube replacement....

·
JacFab.com
428 Posts
I "believe" the OP was just "borrowing" the term when describing what he wanted to do. All this will do is eliminate the convoluted path of the stock tube and improve flow some tho the OP should add a high flow filter to take advantage of the tube replacement....
In that case, there are some tube only options available... When he mentioned removing the reservoirs I was thinking the washer fluid bottle, thinking he wanted to get actual cold air from there.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Try some black plastic pipe from the plumbing store and some rubber connectors. It won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
In that case, there are some tube only options available... When he mentioned removing the reservoirs I was thinking the washer fluid bottle, thinking he wanted to get actual cold air from there.
Yea, I want an intake tube without the air reservoirs on it. I don't wanna remove the washer fluid reservoirs. Where can I find the tube only options?

Edit: I saw your pics and I think it came out nice. I will try to find something similar on Ebay and Craigslist. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Have a look at my CAI blackwing.. Old the picture I have moved the wire to the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a look at my CAI blackwing.. Old the picture I have moved the wire to the bottom.
It looks really nice...I just can't believe what they're charging for it.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
It's a lot of money for a plastic pipe.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
It looks really nice...I just can't believe what they're charging for it.
Yea, I know, 180 for 1 K&N drop in filter, one tube, two clamps, two connection hoses and one small breather tube. What I liked about it was I kept the stock air box which helps keep my filter clean and not totally exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed the blackwing air intake, I do like it as it retains the stock air box.
just wondering has anyone tried to get more air into the stock box.
I know the stock box has the inlet tube facing towards the front of the car, but basicly the air inlet tube is blocked by the boday of the car.
they have foam around the end of the tube, but it doesn't fit into anything, you would think that there would be a hole through the front of the body of the car that this tube would fit into and would be drawing air into the intake.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just installed the blackwing air intake, I do like it as it retains the stock air box.
just wondering has anyone tried to get more air into the stock box.
I know the stock box has the inlet tube facing towards the front of the car, but basicly the air inlet tube is blocked by the boday of the car.
they have foam around the end of the tube, but it doesn't fit into anything, you would think that there would be a hole through the front of the body of the car that this tube would fit into and would be drawing air into the intake.
I just bought a Blackwing set-up off Ebay and will hopefully be getting it in the next few days. As far as the box and the foam end...I noticed it and I have no idea what Chevy intended with it. It looks almost like they had some plan for it but then ditched the plans and didn't bother to reshape the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's like the air intake tube is just sitting there, going no where, you would think with the foam on the end of the intake that the tube would be fitting into some kind of a hole
toward the front of the car to draw air in.
I guess it's another GM marvel (like there AFM which we won;t get into)
have a good day

·
Registered
12 Posts
that could be, never thought of that damping the sound of the intake sucking air, but where does the air come from, there's really no kind of an opening that the intake tube is facing, unless it's just sucking up radom air from the engine bay.
you think GM could of put a little more effort into designing this thing, at least make it look like it's doing somthing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts