Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 13' manual SS. Looking at getting a K&N CAI for it. The specs says it gives the camaro about 18+ HP. Id rather hear from fellow camaro owners. Is this accurate? Will i feel the difference? Or am i gonna have to put it up on a DYNO to see the changes on the computer? Thanks

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
Yes you will.

It will feel like your engine woke up and will sound better.

But I'd recommend a cold air intake from www.ColdAirInductions.com

They look great, have the best performance of all intakes, and the test results to prove it.

Going cheap is not the best thing to do as far as intakes are concerned.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
K&N is fine but there are others out there that are better. A cold air intake will give you noticeable results. RacnJsn is in the finishing processes of his Cold Rush intake. It looks promising. I would say to wait out depending on how bad you really want an intake and how long it will take to get those out for sale. I would recommend staying away from fender intakes. And whichever underhood intake you choose I'd say make sure it is sealed off from the engine in a box with a lid and has a scoop on it. Ram air is my thing so I went with Vararam. Each different style will have advantages and disadvantages. Choosing one based on what you particularly prefer is the best way to go about it.

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
So K&N is going cheap?
I'd say K&N is cheap. In quality, not price.

They make a good drop-in filter, but need to work on their cold air intake.

JacFab's Cold Rush looks promising.

Cold Air Inductions is proven and in my personal experience the best on the market right now.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
Yes you will.

It will feel like your engine woke up and will sound better.

But I'd recommend a cold air intake from Cold Air Inductions Inc. - Cold Air Intake Systems - High Performance Cold Air Intakes & Filters

They look great, have the best performance of all intakes, and the test results to prove it.

Going cheap is not the best thing to do as far as intakes are concerned.
One of the first mods I did was install a Cold Air Inductions intake. I researched intakes and decided CAI provided one of the better looking set-ups, impressive gains, a quality filter, and I liked the fact the filter is covered.

Noticed more initial response from the pedal and was impressed with the growl it gives the engine. WOT turns into beast mode.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you don't relocate or remove the water fluid tank you will be wasting your time and money. You wouldn't believe how many camaros come in for service and they have the washer fluid neck inside the covered a/f. If you don't move it very little "cold" air will flow into the intake.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't relocate or remove the water fluid tank you will be wasting your time and money. You wouldn't believe how many camaros come in for service and they have the washer fluid neck inside the covered a/f. If you don't move it very little "cold" air will flow into the intake.
Move it where?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the cold air induction parts are very expensive. I guess you get what u pay for but maybe i should mod something else

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
And the cold air induction parts are very expensive. I guess you get what u pay for but maybe i should mod something else
An intake from Cold Air Inductions is not expensive when compared to the others on the market.

Especially when others "claim" big numbers or "fluff" their numbers. :screwy:

CAI, Inc. backs up their claims with independent testing, results, performance, and customer service. :thumbsup:

Cold Air Inductions Inc. - Cold Air Intake Systems - High Performance Cold Air Intakes & Filters

What more could you ask for? :dunno:

You just spent almost $40K on a vehicle, why go cheap now? :confused:

Hard to beat the look of an intake from CAI, Inc. and give up finding one with better performance. :roxor:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Guys guys guys, CAI is a good brand that is for sure. But there are other brands that are just as good. And remeber, it's not all always about the best numbers on a dyno on one given day.

There was an intake comparo over on C5 and CAI was one of the top performers. However there are some companies that at the time were still working out the kinks to their design. And other companies that were not involved in the testing for one reason or another. But just because CAI made the most or one of the highest hp/tq numbers on that particular car on that particular dyno on that particular day does not mean it is hands down the say all end all. Otherwise EVERYONE would buy it. And there are other people who have a great deal of knowledge that did not choose CAI. Now I'm not taking anything from CAI, but if you do your research you can find at least 3 other brands that are just as good.

Vararam makes a very good intake. It is the one I have. I chose it because it is a ram air style intake that will give you the coldest possible air available in the straightest possible path. So once the vehicle is moving it will greatly benefit from this. The CAI intake is under the hood in the stock box location. There is a lot there that can prevent a fresh path of air. Next time you pop open the hood take a look at your air box. It isn't in the most optimal path. The intake works obviously, but ram air is superior on a moving vehicle. Not to mention the Vararam is about $310 shipped if you look around on Ebay. That is the non-tune version.

Other brands that are good are New Era (another ram air style), ADM is good, I heard good things about Rotofab, Volant, Airraid, and a few others. And I will add that even tho K&N takes a bashing, their system has been shown to make the similar hp on similarly equipped vehicles. In fact, just because one CAI has better numbers on a bone stock car does not mean the same will be the case once headers, custom tunes, and other mods are added in. Each car is different and will respond to all mods as a whole. If you like K&N, then I'd say go for it. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
You're right Chapel...I LOVE my Airaid CAI and I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I do think the one from Cold Air Inductions is much better looking...it just wouldn't work with my RK Sport Ram Air Hood because of the closed top. I wanted a CAI that would function with the air fed through my hood scoop and it was the best one on the market 3 years ago when the CAI choices were still very limited for the V6 Camaro.

I had no idea I even needed a CAI...lol...but when I spoke with the guys at the performance shop that installed my headers...they said the CAI was a must if I wanted to do headers.

I do know that one of the reasons that the K&N CAIs get a lot of negative feedback is it's the only one that almost always throws a CEL so if you install one...you're gonna have to get a tune sooner rather than later...which is a big concern to those who are trying to preserve their warranty.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Halltech works great u wont be dissapointed!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Apex makes a relocation kit. I have some pics in here of the opening with the washer bottle and after the bottle was moved..... Huge difference.
did u feel the difference when running the car??

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It pulled a bit harder and you get more sound under the good but my ass isn't that sensitive to say ahhhhh yes 16 new HP.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts