Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper formula to calculate hp at the rear wheels? If it is going to be 422 at the crank, what will it be at the wheels? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Assuming the average drivetrain losses are 17-20%, simply multiply the 422 crank hp by .83-.80 and you come up with 355-337 rwhp. These are estimates so it all depends on the efficiency of the drivetrain.

I found this to be a very good read, albeit quite technical but a wealth of information.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
As you can see 422hp rating is severely underated. Since this time around the vette and Camaro have an IRS, the drivetrain loss should be near the same. As mentioned before the LS3 vette average over 390 to the rear wheels thru a M6. Lets say that the camaro and the vette both have a drivetrain loss of 20%.

x
390rwhp
= 468hp

The vette's LS3 is rated at 436hp. But musters 32hp to the wheels.
I strongly believe that the differences (pulley, alternator mounting, and intake) will effect the Camaro at the very least. If it does effect it at all, and considering the corvette's LS3 response to bolt-ons; it become a moot point in the end when comparing vehicle mod for mod on the dyno.

I think the Camaro will pull at least 390rwhp on dyno stock.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you can see 422hp rating is severely underated. Since this time around the vette and Camaro have an IRS, the drivetrain loss should be near the same. As mentioned before the LS3 vette average over 390 to the rear wheels thru a M6. Lets say that the camaro and the vette both have a drivetrain loss of 20%.

x
390rwhp
= 468hp

I strongly believe that the differences (pulley, alternator mounting, and intake) will effect the Camaro at the very least. If it does effect it at all, and considering the corvette's LS3 response to bolt-ons; it become a moot point in the end when comparing vehicle mod for mod on the dyno.

That would be awesome. My goal is 500 rwhp. I should be able to bolt that on fairly easily. Thanks Jinx! :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
CAI, headers, cam and a good tune....Should give it some **** good RWHP numbers.
Nice lumpy cam with electric cutouts. Gotta keep the stock mufflers for the stealth mode.

:poke: Challenger. GT 500.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CAI, headers, cam and a good tune....Should give it some **** good RWHP numbers.
Nice lumpy cam with electric cutouts. Gotta keep the stock mufflers for the stealth mode.

:poke: Challenger. GT 500.
Everyone says "good tune". My question is where do I get one?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I know a performance shop that could probably do it, but what would I need......does that imply I would need to purchase a programmer?.......Sorry Speed Kills I didn't mean to steal your question, just thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I'm sure there is a sponsor on here from the west coast area that can handle it. We have a few really good ones here in Georgia. (Atlanta area)
You can check some of the vette boards, I'm sure they could tell you where to go around your part of the country. I have not checked the sponsor list on here yet. So I dont want to put any companys name on here.

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
Depends if the ECM is like the vettes or the G8s.

Reactions: kyvrwc

·
Registered
98 Posts
There was a similar thread going on GMInsideNews last week. The consensus over there is that GM has not been sandbagging their hp numbers on the LS3 the same way that they did the LS1 and LS2. Supposedly the LS3 powertrain only suffers a 10% power loss from the crank to the rear wheels instead of the traditional 17- 20%. YMMV.

Here's the link to the thread there.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f39/gm-completely-sandbagging-camaro-v8-67166/

·
Registered
98 Posts
One trick I would expect is for the advertised hp numbers on the Camaro to always be lower than those claimed for the Corvette in order to avoid hurting the feelings of new Corvette owners...:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
One trick I would expect is for the advertised hp numbers on the Camaro to always be lower than those claimed for the Corvette in order to avoid hurting the feelings of new Corvette owners...:lol:
From a marketing standpoint, it's highly unlikely the General would ever have another performance coupe with more advertised power than their flagship coupe. Even if they were the exact same hp/tq ratings the advantage would still be in favor of the Corvette.....braking, cornering and acceleration. There is a significant power/weight ratio difference between the two cars.

·
Dark Side Moderator
2,665 Posts
There was a similar thread going on GMInsideNews last week. The consensus over there is that GM has not been sandbagging their hp numbers on the LS3 the same way that they did the LS1 and LS2. Supposedly the LS3 powertrain only suffers a 10% power loss from the crank to the rear wheels instead of the traditional 17- 20%. YMMV.

Here's the link to the thread there.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f39/gm-completely-sandbagging-camaro-v8-67166/
Well they have to make some excuse. On the G8 GXP they claimed the 402hp rating was because of revised intake to fit the car and exhaust routing.

I seriously doubt there is as little as 10% drivetrain loss. Good excuse though. I dont mind underrating. I like knowing I bought a 422hp car and got a 460 hp car.

402- G8 GXP
422- Camaro SS
436- Corvette

More likely for all LS3 cars: 460hp give or take 5hp from fitment designs.

My two cents:

Model: 0-60 1/4

G8 GT 5.3 13.7
G8 GXP 4.7 13.0

Charger R/T 5.5 14.1
Charger SRT8 5.0 13.6

Chally R/T 5.4 13.8 (estimated from Charger r/t and Srt8 difference)
Chally SRT8 4.9 13.3

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Camaro SS 4.6 13.4 (reported numbers at this point)

With this additional info I think the HP rating are not the only thing fudged.
Look at the G8 and how the GXP version pulls a estimated 13 flat in a car that is claimed to be heavier and rated lower than the SS. I put the competiotion in there for giggles.

My estimate for the Camaro factoring in all the info we have this far:

Camaro SS 4.6 12.8 (and not like the GTO's 12.9 when all planets are aligned, Im talking with a good driver on stock tires)

Hell, the Challenger has been reported to run 13 flat bone stock.

·
8,984 Posts
hptuners seem to have a pretty good rep for tuning, but the market will be floded regardless....

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
hptuners seem to have a pretty good rep for tuning, but the market will be floded regardless....
Yes, and the beauty of that is the consumer <Camaro owner> will reap the benefits of the tuning community looking to capitalize a very large market.

Competing vendors always benefits the consumer.......through price and quality.

·
8,984 Posts
Yes, and the beauty of that is the consumer <Camaro owner> will reap the benefits of the tuning community looking to capitalize a very large market.

Competing vendors always benefits the consumer.......through price and quality.

BOOYA! What that man said!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

x
390rwhp
= 468hp

At the risk of opening a can of worms, I'd like to point out that while the LS3 appears to be under-rated if a 20% drivetrain loss is used, it would appear to be accurately rated if that loss is really only 12%. Since the loss is truly not a flat % anyhow, I'm inclined to believe the SAE ratings are legit...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts