Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
i'm not a big drinker but what a PITA that would be having to be tested all the time just to drive the **** car. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
We may live freely but drinking and drving is our #1 thing that is very much harped about as in it should.

Not saying what is happening here should happen ( as its treating you like a child which is BS ) but there should not be a reason why anyone should drink and drive.

Our states biggest thing to jump on us about is seat belts

click it or Ticket

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't see the link, but I don't think it's a bad idea. So many people are killed by drunk drivers who should never get behind the wheel of a car. They never think they're too drunk to drive. Arresting them and suspending their licenses doesn't always work, as there are many repeat offenders.

I wouldn't mind the extra inconvenience if it saved lives. It's a small price to pay.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We may live freely but drinking and drving is our #1 thing that is very much harped about as in it should.

Not saying what is happening here should happen ( as its treating you like a child which is BS ) but there should not be a reason why anyone should drink and drive.

Our states biggest thing to jump on us about is seat belts

click it or Ticket
Both Georgia (my home state) and California have "click it or ticket" programs. It may just be a nationwide thing.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see the link, but I don't think it's a bad idea. So many people are killed by drunk drivers who should never get behind the wheel of a car. They never think they're too drunk to drive. Arresting them and suspending their licenses doesn't always work, as there are many repeat offenders.

I wouldn't mind the extra inconvenience if it saved lives. It's a small price to pay.
My objection has nothing to do with the "message", it has everything to do with government intrusion into your life. I suppose New Yorkers love the nanny state as much many Californians do, but every little inconvenience codified into law means less privacy and less personal freedom for yourself. Even in the case of responsible drivers it implies you can't be trusted to drive sober.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My objection has nothing to do with the "message", it has everything to do with government intrusion into your life. I suppose New Yorkers love the nanny state as much many Californians do, but every little inconvenience codified into law means less privacy and less personal freedom for yourself. Even in the case of responsible drivers it implies you can't be trusted to drive sober.
The amount of people driving drunk proves some people can't be trusted to drive sober.
And even though I'm a responsible driver and don't drive if I've been drinking, the people who need to have these installed in their cars wouldn't think they'd need them. So I'm not opposed to a little inconvenience if it helps solve a problem.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
So we the masses should have to bear the cost of having a PITA system placed in our cars. I would think they could make the person who was busted pay to have the system put into every car that they have and then pay a monthly charge for the rest of there lives to be able to drive. It would teach everyone that they know (since word of mouth is the best ad) not to drink and drive. Oh and BTW I do have a few when I want to but, I do not drink and drive.....

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
WOW if every car had it here there would be no traffic:thumbsup:
:lol::lol:

Worth it if it saved lives (as I'm sure it would)....but yes a big PIA for everyone else. Without a doubt anyone caught DWI should need to have it installed in order to get their license back.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
:lol::lol:

Worth it if it saved lives (as I'm sure it would)....but yes a big PIA for everyone else. Without a doubt anyone caught DWI should need to have it installed in order to get their license back.
This! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
What about the guy in Wisconsin that was arrested for his 12th OWI? Do you think he wouldn't find a way to bypass this system? Don't you think he is driving an old beater?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What about the guy in Wisconsin that was arrested for his 12th OWI? Do you think he wouldn't find a way to bypass this system? Don't you think he is driving an old beater?
I don't believe there is a way to bypass them. They are designed with that thought in mind. And if he is driving an old beater then forcing him to have it installed on it (and any car he owns) takes care of that scenario. The only thing this scenario (forced installation once convicted) can't account for is "borrowing" a car or renting one...

If the person can't afford the cost then they need to look at mass transit! I'm sorry but when you are a repeat offender I have no sympathy... :mad:

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Anyone with that much of a history shouldn't be aloud behind the wheel and should be in jail.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts

I agree Weland. Every time the government intrudes a little further into our lives...it opens the door for the next breach of our rights. Personally...I'm not a drinker...and I would like to see this on every car owned by someone with a second DWI conviction. (I believe everyone gets one mistake...even though that mistake could be deadly) But for it to be a requirement is outrageous. [URL="
[/URL]

I was a happy active dog breeder until 2 years ago when the state and especially the City of Dallas decided to make dog breeding a criminal activity. Sure...I can get a license to breed dogs...but if I do...I will be subject to and must submit to surprise inspections of my home. And should they arrive at an inconvenient time and I refuse the inspection...my dogs would be confiscated and I would be denied ownership of any dog for two years. I have nothing to hide but I draw the line at giving up my Constitutional Rights just to breed a few dogs. [URL="
[/URL]

Sadly...this is the direction that I entire country is headed in. They just approved a .01 per ounce tax on soda pop that will add $1.44 to every 12 pack. WTF...I'm not fat...I weight 107 lbs...but I have to pay more for my Coke because some people are fat. [URL="
[/URL]

Oops...sorry...I'll get off my soap box now. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I agree Weland. Every time the government intrudes a little further into our lives...it opens the door for the next breach of our rights. Personally...I'm not a drinker...and I would like to see this on every car owned by someone with a second DWI conviction. (I believe everyone gets one mistake...even though that mistake could be deadly) But for it to be a requirement is outrageous. [URL="
[/URL]

I was a happy active dog breeder until 2 years ago when the state and especially the City of Dallas decided to make dog breeding a criminal activity. Sure...I can get a license to breed dogs...but if I do...I will be subject to and must submit to surprise inspections of my home. And should they arrive at an inconvenient time and I refuse the inspection...my dogs would be confiscated and I would be denied ownership of any dog for two years. I have nothing to hide but I draw the line at giving up my Constitutional Rights just to breed a few dogs. [URL="
[/URL]

Sadly...but this is the direction that I entire country is headed in. They just approved a .01 per ounce tax on soda pop that will add $1.44 to every 12 pack. WTF...I'm not fat...I weight 107 lbs...but I have to pay more for my Coke because some people are fat. [URL="
[/URL]

Oops...sorry...I'll get off my soap box now. :eek:
I agree Hilary, it SUX when the Many have to Pay for the Few....

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
first off.. what the F---?

Second.. why not just put these things in the cars of people convicted of DUIs or DWIs and give everyone else the benefit of the doubt

third, what alcoholics do you know that actually buy new cars? most i know probably drive 500 dollar beaters without ABS.

my .02.

·
Registered
715 Posts
first off.. what the F---?

Second.. why not just put these things in the cars of people convicted of DUIs or DWIs and give everyone else the benefit of the doubt

third, what alcoholics do you know that actually buy new cars? most i know probably drive 500 dollar beaters without ABS.

my .02.
you'd be surprised by the number of "party plates" (DUI identification license plates required after the first DUI conviction in Ohio) that are on brand new, high end vehicles here in Ohio. The assumption that alcoholism, and drunk driving is limited to lower class income is, honestly, a bit insulting.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
I know more than a few affluent alcoholics driving $50,000+ cars.

you'd be surprised by the number of "party plates" (DUI identification license plates required after the first DUI conviction in Ohio) that are on brand new, high end vehicles here in Ohio. The assumption that alcoholism, and drunk driving is limited to lower class income is, honestly, a bit insulting.
Thank you Heavyweight for pointing that out because you are sooooo right! [URL="
[/URL]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts