Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note this is only on the bill, not an assault on Dems, Repubs, or California.
-----
California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

Oh yeah..

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures for more.
And here's the study:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints/final_cool_cars_workshop_presentation31209.pdf

Come on, California. Do you really want us to plant a MOAB on the San Andreas fault line? :BangHead:

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
I guess all the Califonia people will be driving rainbow color cars from now on

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
Where is the Terminator

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Its amazing. I think all the punks do in elected offices is try to figure out a way to make a name for them selves no matter how stupid the idea is.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thinking bass ackwards, then would Wisconsin outlaw light color cars? It takes them longer to heat up when cold out, since the sun isn't as effective as say a black or dark blue car. :lol:
LOL not withstanding, you are waaaay off-base because you are using both logic & rationality. I think that is a criminal offense now...

:lol:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thinking bass ackwards, then would Wisconsin outlaw light color cars? It takes them longer to heat up when cold out, since the sun isn't as effective as say a black or dark blue car. :lol:
Agreed. Put Ohio on that list, too.

This is obsurd.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Think on the bright side...NBC will have to cancel the "Knight Rider" tv series and hence no more (black) Mustang on Prime Time (unless it is already cancelled)... :lol:

I wish I could say that is the reason I ordered Cyber Grey Rally Stripes instead of Black, but I would be fibbin'... :D

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Now yall see why I drive Yellow Cars...im Earth day friendly everyday !!!!!!! :lol:
SAVE A TREE AND WIPE YOUR A$$ ON A OWL :thumbsup:
or how does it go ?
Drink more Beer and save water for the fish ? shrugs lol

This is just Stupid IMO !!!!!! First off California gets Hot but nothing like Texas ....we get 100+ Temps not to mention 100+ in HUMIDITYYYYYYYYYYY :angry::eek: for weeks at a time.
The reason parts of our country like Cali and Texas are so dam hot is because we keep taking out the tree's and building more shopping malls which require adding more cement. By getting rid of DARK colored cars will help out with the heat is hideous.....uuugghhh No lol if that swings in cali I will be suprised. That wouldnt happen around here.

Good luck Cali I hope the best for ya !!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts