1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article by Motor Trend.

By The Numbers: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro V-6 vs 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

We've driven the base, V-6-powered 2010 Camaro, and we're impressed. Actually, we're more than impressed. At first acquaintance, the entry-level version of Chevy's 21st century ponycar looks and feels a winner. It's smooth, quick, and accomplished on the road, with great steering, nice chassis balance, and good grip, even on the standard 18-in. wheel/tire combo. We can't wait to drive the V-8.
But with the hassle of high gas prices, the looming threat of the new 35-mpg CAFE laws, the worrying knocks from the engine room of the American auto industry -- all the stuff that has the doomsayer enthusiasts pining for the good old days -- this new Camaro got us thinking: Who needs a V-8?
CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

We haven't had the chance to track test a new Camaro yet, of course, but this is what we do know about the numbers: More than 300 hp under the hood; a 0-60-mph time of at least 6.1 sec or better; EPA fuel consumption numbers of 18/26 mpg; a price tag of around $24,000. Independent suspension all round. Disc brakes all round. Alloy wheels. Available six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
This is the base model, remember.
Let's rewind four decades, back to those good old days and the original 1967 Camaro. Back then the base model boasted -- if that's the right word -- a 140-hp straight-six under the hood, three-on-the-tree manual transmission, live rear axle, drum brakes all round, steel wheels with dog-dish hubcaps, and taxi-cab interior trim. Not so much a ponycar as a motorized mule, really.

Four decades ago, Camaro fun actually started with the V-8s, the 327, and the SS-350. There were a number of different output and transmission combinations available, but in late 1966, we tested a coupe fitted with the 210-hp 327 driving through a two-speed (count 'em) Powerglide automatic, and a 295-hp SS-350 coupe with a four-speed stick. The numbers are revealing.
The 327 auto wheezed to 60 mph in 10.7 sec and ran the quarter in 18.2 sec at 77 mph. Just for perspective, the 8974-lb Ford F-450 King Ranch dualie we tested during the 2008 Truck of the Year judging last year was two tenths of a second faster to 60 mph and a half second quicker over the quarter mile. How'd the hot-shot SS-350 go? Zip to 60 mph in 8.0 sec, with the quarter mile coming up in 15.4 sec at 90 mph. Gas mileage? We estimated in the 12-13-mpg range.

Okay, but a fully loaded SS-350 cost just a few bucks over $3400 back in 1967. The 2010 V-6 is likely to sticker at $24,000 or so. But here's where it gets interesting. The V-6 promises to be 25% quicker to 60 mph than the SS-350 (and probably seven to 10% faster over the quarter mile, according to our projections) while using 25 to 50% less gas. Yet in terms of the hours we average wage slaves will have to work to be able to buy one (according to U.S. Bureau of Labor statistics), it's only going to cost about eight percent more.
Don't get us wrong -- we still want a new Camaro with a six-speed stick and a 400-plus-hp LS3 under the hood. Or, better yet, the 556-hp supercharged LSA, which, based on the Caddy CTS-V test numbers we've just run, should be good for a 4.0-sec 0-60-mph time and a quarter mile in the low 12s. (A 21st century ZL-1, anyone? C'mon GM, build it. The parts are all there.)
But if your budget can only stretch to the V-6, you can quite rightly ask: "Who needs a V-8?"

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
There are a few of us out there who have/had the chance in life to own a 1st/2nd gen Camaro ! weather you have it or sold it you see this new camaro and think...I gotta have one with power... it looks kind of old but with technology today this baby is going to be fun !!!!!!

For people who have not had the luxery to drive an older car they see it the same way as we do as old and cool and " daily transportation " but also think to themselves... I would like a V8 but if a V6 is 300hp and great on gas and very affordable "we hope " thats all I need.

I will be buying a driver and I want good gas mileage....however I own a sports car and want something I can drive to and from work that gives me a little grunt just as my 69 does but with the technology of today. If I had to get a V6 because of $$$$$$ or something else I would... but if I can afford it im getting a V8....because as a poster that hangs in my Garage says....I'm a Camaro the legend that roams the streets hear me roar :patriot: :D

Shrugs " hey im 27 and just happen to be living in my parents Generation from cars to the music lol
I work hard for what I own and if im going to work hard for it then im going to be driving what I want the first time around...... I may not be driving a New Z28 but its going to have some Grunt "

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That article really puts today's cars into perspective.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a few of us out there who have/had the chance in life to own a 1st/2nd gen Camaro ! weather you have it or sold it you see this new camaro and think...I gotta have one with power... it looks kind of old but with technology today this baby is going to be fun !!!!!!

For people who have not had the luxery to drive an older car they see it the same way as we do as old and cool and " daily transportation " but also think to themselves... I would like a V8 but if a V6 is 300hp and great on gas and very affordable "we hope " thats all I need.

I will be buying a driver and I want good gas mileage....however I own a sports car and want something I can drive to and from work that gives me a little grunt just as my 69 does but with the technology of today. If I had to get a V6 because of $$$$$$ or something else I would... but if I can afford it im getting a V8....because as a poster that hangs in my Garage says....I'm a Camaro the legend that roams the streets hear me roar :patriot: :D

Shrugs " hey im 27 and just happen to be living in my parents Generation from cars to the music lol
I work hard for what I own and if im going to work hard for it then im going to be driving what I want the first time around...... I may not be driving a New Z28 but its going to have some Grunt "

I srsly want a V6 because of fuel economy, and 300 horsepower is enough for me. But I want the V8 Rumble. My plan is to get a 6, but I might get an 8 depending on price- since an SS convertible is probably the most expensive....

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great article. I've had the privilege of owning 6 67's, 2 68's and 2 69's in my lifetime, all of them V8 cars and 1 (a 69) an SS396 car. I still have 1 of the 67's (it's highly optioned).

I also have an 89 RS, a 98 Z28 M6 and a 2002 Z28 A4.

I will be acquiring a convertible SS when they are available.

·
A New Camaro, Excellent!
529 Posts
good article. the reality is that many auto manufactors will be switiching to alternative engine offerings with increased fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
I srsly want a V6 because of fuel economy, and 300 horsepower is enough for me. But I want the V8 Rumble. My plan is to get a 6, but I might get an 8 depending on price- since an SS convertible is probably the most expensive....
Good luck on whatever you end up with !!!!!!!! I agree 300 is more than enough for anyone on the street however im wanting a little more especially if they are offering it lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
i just rode in a 67 SS, convertable tonight... (neighbors) and man... i cant tell you how cool i feel even just being the passanger in that thing.

bright orange, 20's in the back, 18's in the front. completely restored with matching numbers. makes me want an old school :(

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I too want old school. Actually, I would prefer a 67 or 68 but time and money will not let me. :mad:
Nothing like the feeling of cruising in a TRUE muscle car

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm waiting for the write up from various magazines on the SS Camaro, once GM releases it to them. I bet there will be more postive articles than negative and a few who are just plain lost.

I want the V8 for daily driving and it would be cool to pass it down to my grandson 14 years from now. :) (bowtie generation's) :patriot:

SF
Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.