Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the initial allocation thing.

At what point will this vehicle be widely availiable to anyone who walks into a dealer to place an order?
When will dealers be able to order them as they wish for stock?

This may have been posted about in another thread, but I can't find it after a quick search. Figure a specific thread would be helpful to others as well :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unless GM does something different with this Camaro than in the past. It will be a while if ever when there will be a good selection of them on the dealer lots. In my opinion GM seems to be a little gun shy on even producing a large amount it will be a few months if ever when you will see more than a hand full on most lots. This is how they keep hype up make sure they dont overbuild the model.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I would say a year from now. It will take a while to fill all the orders and they would need a bit of a break to make enough inventory stock for the 2,000 dealers. Let's assume the average inventory per dealer is 5 Camaros - they would have to build 10,000 cars just for stock.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Unless GM does something different with this Camaro than in the past. It will be a while if ever when there will be a good selection of them on the dealer lots. In my opinion GM seems to be a little gun shy on even producing a large amount it will be a few months if ever when you will see more than a hand full on most lots. This is how they keep hype up make sure they dont overbuild the model.
That's just a stupid policy. Piss a bunch of people off wanting to buy the car by holding them up for $2-$5 K over list, instead of selling a ton of them while the car is hot. How long have they been in business? How many consultants do they have? They can't figure out how many they need to produce?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
CF4? You lost me...

I remember that for 3 months, the "new mustang" was extremely rare and markups were ridiculous. After 3 months, the dealerships couldn't move them very fast at all (of course, we all know Mustangs are slow). My point being, it 6 months time, you could walk onto almost any lot and browse and pick your car.

Hell, the Challenger, from what I understand, is already getting that way.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So did I but I don't remember how many I saw on lots when the CF4 was first introduced :confused:
They spent a ton of money on advertising the '94 camaro with commercials and billboards. Then they stopped, and were amazed sales dropped to 50,000 on the '98's.
Every girl I've heard is crazy about this car. Build them, and they will.....come.

·
Registered
472 Posts
CF4? You lost me...

I remember that for 3 months, the "new mustang" was extremely rare and markups were ridiculous. After 3 months, the dealerships couldn't move them very fast at all (of course, we all know Mustangs are slow). My point being, it 6 months time, you could walk onto almost any lot and browse and pick your car.

Hell, the Challenger, from what I understand, is already getting that way.
You're absolutely right, and the '93 z28s were no different. By the time the '94s started showing up, the dealer stabbings had ended. On second thought, I can't believe that with the economy the way it is now, the 10s will be any different. They'll stab the people who can afford to be stabbed again.

·
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, CF4 - Camaro/Firebird/4th Generation = 1993 Camaro/Firebird, old term from working at GM :D

back to my original question - At what point will this vehicle be widely availiable to anyone who walks into a dealer to place an order?

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Sorry, CF4 - Camaro/Firebird/4th Generation = 1993 Camaro/Firebird, old term from working at GM :D

back to my original question - At what point will this vehicle be widely availiable to anyone who walks into a dealer to place an order?
I think that's a questions without an answer. The economy is terrible, and GM doesn't really know how desirable a Camaro is going to be to people who don't want to buy a new car at all.

·
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that's a questions without an answer. The economy is terrible, and GM doesn't really know how desirable a Camaro is going to be to people who don't want to buy a new car at all.
There is an answer. GM has a plan in place of some kind. I'm looking for what that may be in this case.
Are they only allowing certain allocations based on feeling out the market? Is it because they plan to produce only a limited number for a few months then ramp up production?

I don't buy the economy thing, GM has spent millions to bring this car to market already.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea they have spent millions to get this Camaro to market and already no blue color and no z28 whats next? I think 6 to 8 months of mark ups when they start to hit dealers in small amounts. And yes you would think GM would be kicking these out like MUSTANGs only time will tell . The Dodge dealer here in Palm Coast FL HAS 2 R/T Challengers for 10 k each over sticker think he,s going to buy more i dont.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yea they have spent millions to get this Camaro to market and already no blue color and no z28 whats next? I think 6 to 8 months of mark ups when they start to hit dealers in small amounts. And yes you would think GM would be kicking these out like MUSTANGs only time will tell . The Dodge dealer here in Palm Coast FL HAS 2 R/T Challengers for 10 k each over sticker think he,s going to buy more i dont.
I've driven an RT Challenger. People are stupid if they pay list for that car.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
There is an answer. GM has a plan in place of some kind. I'm looking for what that may be in this case.
Are they only allowing certain allocations based on feeling out the market? Is it because they plan to produce only a limited number for a few months then ramp up production?

I don't buy the economy thing, GM has spent millions to bring this car to market already.
They can't afford to spend millions more if this car flops or isn't profitable. They're going to ramp up production based on demand. It's not like 2 years ago, when they could introduce a new truck and mass produce it immediately because they knew it would sell.

People simply aren't buying new cars. New cars that are being purchased are mostly for necessity, and most "necessity" dictates a four door economy car of some kind. Not a two door sports coupe.

I'm sorry to say this Joe, but it's just plane (I tried to think of another word, because I don't want to actually start a fight or arguement), but it's plane ignorant to "not buy" the economy "thing."

Hell, 1 year ago, if OPEC had announced another market manipulator of cutting production by 2 million barrels a day, oil prices would have skyrocketted 20% or more. Instead, since the announcement, oil prices overall are still DOWN from the date of announcement. Why? Economy.

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
AFAIK, allocations will be in place for the entire first model year.
Allocations are in place because of the initial ramp-up in production, so the first model year will not be at full production.

They pretty much already are available to anyone who walks into a dealer and wants to order one.
Over 3,000 orders have been placed, but that certainly is not more than the total allocations out there.

But I see what you mean.

I would say that a few months before the start of the second model year (guessing very early 2010), dealers will be able to order them for dealer stock and/or any type of sold order.

·
SS-Eric
2,560 Posts
Octane, stock orders will be available after "sold" allocations are picked up and production begins. So I am guessing we will see them later part of May into June. I beleive I heard on the Pre-Order IDl a production number of 40,000 units per year. GM has all intention of the Camaro taking over the pony car in sales volume!!!! The reason for this Pre-Order 2 months before the final order is picked up is to make sure that GM has all of their i's dotted and t's crossed to prevent production constraints.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's an American car and GM needs to sell the Camaro and a lot of them. At first they will be somewhat hard to find but after six months you will have your pick at the right price. If you have to be one of the first & pay MSRP, that's a couple of grand out the window. I will wait :lol:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts