Modern Camaro Forums banner

CAMARO & Impala SS

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Luwinkle 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Still speculation by those writers, though. They didn't say for sure, they were guessing. Just like we have been.

#5 ·
I'm putting my money on LS3. Drive an 07 vette, then an 08. Incredible for 30 hp difference. Also, like the ZR1 Vette pic I posted in the "Camaro color poll" thread, I know a few new colors coming out - and remaining VERY hopeful they cross production lines to other models!!!!!

As a salesman, I got to tell you - I am impressed. What is coming down the road with Chevy is awesome. I drove the new Hybrid Tahoe a few months ago (glad to have the Chevy show truck here for the weekend!), the Malibu is taking off.....and the ZR1, Camaro, Impala SS.....I don't get rich, but I have FUN! Sharing the fun with others is like watching your kid win a basketball tournament! PURE RUSH!

#9 ·
Yes it does. I remember a GM exec saying they weren't sure that Chevy would market a RWD Impala or have it remain FWD. My guess is it will remain FWD and V6 'cuz of rising fuel costs. This car we see here is a Middle Eastern variant of the Pontiac G8 marketed here. I doubt GM is going to rebadge the G8, call it an Impala,and sell it here. In fact, I'd bet money on it. just my little ol 2 cents.:rolleyes:

#11 ·
Guys...

That is not the U.S. Impala SS..that is a Middle Eastern bound Holden badged as an Impala SS.
Actually it has been said the Impala is going to stay FWD for the near future.
We are not getting that car here or anything like it as the Impala..it already been handed down by the guys who know that this is not ours.

#12 ·
I think I just said that 2 posts earlier.;)

#18 ·
Well given the Camaro has alot of austrailian influence and help in design I wouldn't be so sure of that. Besides while US manufacturers abandoned the American muscle movement Austrailia continued to build them, just styled to their needs. Why do you think GM went to them for RWD V8's?

#17 ·
You just NOW see Dramatic groundhog?(or is it chipmunk..or prairie dog..too **** tired right now)

And Z28, bob said they are unsure if they will go RWD or FWD with the new Impala, he didn't say 100% one way or the other.

#19 ·
When I was at the Malibu launch, The rep I talked to said Chevy is losing out bad when it comes to Police and Taxi service cars. The Crown Vic is losing ground to the Dodge....and Impala with the 6 doesn't cut it - running camera's, laptops, and all the lights. There's a big market, and Chevy's knife isn't big enough to cut it right now. While the public screams for MPG, the government fleet users do not.

I know our police chief won't touch it, even though I mentioned an Impala fleet would save him (mostly taxpayers) $15,000 in gas savings based on the MPG differences in the car.

The Chevy Malibu for all purposes has nearly cloned the Impala in size & features, and exceeded it in quality....The Impala sales are predicted to slump in mid 2008 because of the Malibu.....It will need an update.

I wouldn't give up on it yet - http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061113/FREE/61113001/1065/TOC01ARCHIVE

#20 ·
I agree on that. I said before and say it again; the Crown Vic existence in the last decade wouldnt have happen if it wasnt for government contacts and fleet needs. With that said Chevy has been losing out, like Scotty said, in a game that GM should be winning in...... larger, powerful, economical, and efficient cars. The Charger is replacing Crown Vics (that did dominate). But while it has the power thats cops and other fleets may need; they suck in MPG (which is a bigger point to consider with eco-concerns and tax money together).
So ideally, I think, in GM's lineup that a G8 would fit the bill. Good MPG, V8 power, Rwd, superior handling (over Charger and Vic), and larger enough too. But one problem exist...... cost. The G8, while being a great car (that even tempts me at times); it prolly wouldnt be cost effective in unit cost for fleets. So the answer to that problem.......make a cheap car (per unit) that can do all a G8 can without the pontiac flare, if you will.
While Im against rebadging a G8 from GM to make a Impala; I think they have proven that the Zeta platform is flexible enough to not do that. So my food for thought today is:

When the aggressive tree-huggers protest outside automaker's gates about MPG and emissions, how are the cops going to get there to the gates to flog the hippies without being hypocritical? Answer a Chevy Impala with 28 MPG, 400hp, Flex-fuel optioned, and big trunk to carry the riot gear.

Ok, maybe a little extreme; but I think people get the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.