Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what will everyone think the insurance will be for a 18 year old male with 422 horses under the hood?

The bad:

422 ponies and 408 lbs of torque

The good

F and R airbags
Side air bags
onstar

Currently I am paying 1600$ for 6 month for my Grand AM GT
History: one accident, I was not at fault for

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi.. I Checked prices for Ins...using the Callenger as a base..heheh I am 54..by the time I get a SS I will be 55. Ins no convictions $900.00 I only checked with one ins co.
hope that helps

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
If you know anyone with a Mustang GT or V8 Challenger...see what they are paying.

take defensive driving if you haven't already, that will save you some $$...and don't get any tickets or in any accidents before your camaro arrives.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Lets just say it like this if you're paying $1600 for every 6 months then you must be doing real well making some money for yourself.

I'm 27 and I wanted a Z28 or an SS back when I was 18 in 1999 I could afford the car but with my age at the time there was no way I could afford the insurance on a Camaro..... keep in mind I was 18 and was asking for full coverage and my background was as clean as a Virgin... no wrecks and no tickets. I was still pushing way over a grand for every 6 months.

I dont know about today but if you are underage and you have a wreck on your record and you are paying $1600 for a Grand Am Gt I would almost call it highway robbery from any insurance company if it is any higher for a Camaro...im sure it will be thought. We are talking V8 Sports car !!!!!!!!
Good luck bro

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
Lets just say it like this if you're paying $1600 for every 6 months then you must be doing real well making some money for yourself.

I'm 27 and I wanted a Z28 or an SS back when I was 18 in 1999 I could afford the car but with my age at the time there was no way I could afford the insurance on a Camaro..... keep in mind I was 18 and was asking for full coverage and my background was as clean as a Virgin... no wrecks and no tickets. I was still pushing way over a grand for every 6 months.

I dont know about today but if you are underage and you have a wreck on your record and you are paying $1600 for a Grand Am Gt I would almost call it highway robbery from any insurance company if it is any higher for a Camaro...im sure it will be thought. We are talking V8 Sports car !!!!!!!!
Good luck bro

Geeze from seeing what yall are paying or say yall will be paying im glad I live where I do and have the insurance I do.

Grant it im 27 with a clean record and about to be married in a few months but the numbers im seeing up above im scratching my head wondering why they are so high.

around here you can drive a Corvette and have cheaper insurance than a STang why ? most kids drive stangs around here and they say Vette drivers are usually around 35 to 50+ and they usually drive more responsible.

everyone else post up what you're paying im curious if you dont mind.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That insurance rate on the Grand Am is ridiculous. Auto Insurance industry=Highway Robbery.:mad:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is there nothing I can do, it is BS. I have one wreck in which the kid creamed me. I did take defensive driving, I hate the fact that I have to pay for it a V8 Mustang GT is 400$ a month
I can afford the camaro if I work my nads off, I want a SS and plan to get it, if I have to get the V6 I will put a blower on it :D I think 250$ a month is good enough

·
Registered
913 Posts
Go online to one or more of the insurance companies progressive.com , geico.com , etc. and figure your cost for a base Corvette. You know that will be the max you will pay. Then take away 20% of the collision cost and you should be close, IMO. Liability would be pretty much identical and comprehensive costs should be pretty similar albeit again just slightly lower.

My .02

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't go by the Challenger & Mustang, that will give you NO reference........................thats all I'll say.

And NitrOracing21..................if your paying $1600 every 6. You better sweet talk mommy & daddy into paying your insurance, cause there's no way you'll be able to swing a Camaro.

It will be at least TRIPLE what you GA is...................and you can quote me on that.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Don't go by the Challenger & Mustang, that will give you NO reference........................thats all I'll say.
OK, well they have to base it on something.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think the Chally will be an overestimate at least for the V6. I'm lookin at that and the V8 mustang. I know it won't be perfect but I think it'll be ballpark and probably the V6 maro will be under those estimates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i think depends on the ins company, coming from my experience, when i was 19 and clean driving record i got raped for my ins, under my self for a dodge, was almost the same for the monthly payments as it is for the ins. In my opinion if ur able to put someone else on the policy i strongly advise you do, v6 v8 still a sports car= 18 rape

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah I was checking a '09 Chally at either Geico or Allstate and it was gonna be like $620/mo for me (19 single male). Then, for the hell of it I put my moms info, dropped to just over $200/mo. Makes me mad but at least I know who's name it's gonna be under now :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.