Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a new daily driver...

Took the Camaro out two Friday's ago for the last time in a long time...

Spent Friday night, Saturday and a little bit of Sunday taking out the interior. Removed all the seats, plastic panels, trim, headliner, carpet, all that's left now is the dash and counsole. Reason I'm doing all this is I'm getting it ready to be painted, I'm going to actually paint it red, not teal. Buying primer and paint today, I'm just doing the metal on the inside of the car for now. My neighbor and I spent a few hours taping everything off and masking the wiring up and tonight the inside of my car will be "flame red". I wanted everything to be red, even the things you don't see. It's only costing me an extra $30 and a few hours. Want to do this right the first time.

I'm working in Madison now, so I've got money coming in, but since the interior and all the soundproofing is all removed, I'm not sure when it will be back on the road!

I've also got a ton of the automotive plastic spray paint people are using to convert their interiors to different colors. I'm converting mine from grey to red!!! I've got a buddy of mine who has done it to numerous Thirdgens helping so mine turns out just as great as his all did. I still need to get money together for a red headliner, seat upholstry, carpet, seatbelts, and visors. That's all I need to complete the conversion.

Pics:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also doing some cool extra things, we spent some time today wiring up footwell courtesy lights like what the Iroc-z's had, so now my car will have them, too. There will also be a seperate switch under the seat so that I can turn them on while I'm driving, kind of like accent lighting. It's pretty easy because the panels under the dash already have the cutout for the light, all we need now is the yellow lense and to finish wiring the switch.

Right now I'm looking for some crappy rims and tires to use for a week to put on my car so I can ship my 16x8's out to Detroit, MI to get stripped and straightened/refinished/reclearcoated and have them paint on the red trim and get a new set of OE centercaps.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next year, provided I still have a job, a new 700r4, new tires, minor engine work, supsension work, alarm and sound system and weatherstripping will complete the job and my car will be done!!!

Mint '92 RS that runs and drives just the way it did when it was new.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
A T-5 Swap isn't hard if you have all the parts and I doubt you could bust one up with your 305 unless you really wanted to.

I'm not even being a dick here, but it's not like you have 350 torque killing that T-5 man.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A T-5 Swap isn't hard if you have all the parts and I doubt you could bust one up with your 305 unless you really wanted to.

I'm not even being a dick here, but it's not like you have 350 torque killing that T-5 man.
You didn't come off as being a dick lol. I know that. I had a change of heart as well. I was really liking the smoothness of my 700r4. I'll have a manual Thirdgen someday, but it'll be a T-56, just so I feel a little better when I am beating on the car lol.

The other thing was I didn't have all the parts, and I needed a good $5-600 more just to get it in there. I can pick up a low mile 700r4 replacement for $300 and put it in there for just about free.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
You didn't come off as being a dick lol. I know that. I had a change of heart as well. I was really liking the smoothness of my 700r4. I'll have a manual Thirdgen someday, but it'll be a T-56, just so I feel a little better when I am beating on the car lol.

The other thing was I didn't have all the parts, and I needed a good $5-600 more just to get it in there. I can pick up a low mile 700r4 replacement for $300 and put it in there for just about free.
I wish I had some videos of it, but when I got my car back from the tranny shop, it was insane how fun it was to drive for what it was. That's the way I like my auto/v8 cars but if you like smoothness than oh well.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I haven't started painting yet, anyone who has a red interior lmk, I would be happy to trade.
Just out of curiosity, how did it look rust wise after you tore the floor up? They look good, but the pics are low res.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just out of curiosity, how did it look rust wise after you tore the floor up? They look good, but the pics are low res.
Perfect. No rust, anywhere. Looks like it just rolled off the factory line. It's a southern car, not even the exhaust or suspension or impact bars have rust.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Perfect. No rust, anywhere. Looks like it just rolled off the factory line. It's a southern car, not even the exhaust or suspension or impact bars have rust.
Dude, that's awesome. How much did you pick it up for?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude, that's awesome. How much did you pick it up for?
Thanks!!!

Yeah, I got lucky with this one! Only $2,000! I paid $900 to ship it here from Orlando, it needed some TLC, but nothing too serious, just a fuel pump, a new throttle body, minor things and I had to fix the cigarette lighter because it was blowing the #20 acc. fuse. It runs perfect! Put 7,000 miles on this year and it never let me down once. It's never been driven in snow, I would say it's never seen snow but we got a dusting (like 1/8th on an inch of snow) early this year but it melted off in an hour. That's the only time this car will ever see it :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks!!!

Yeah, I got lucky with this one! Only $2,000! I paid $900 to ship it here from Orlando, it needed some TLC, but nothing too serious, just a fuel pump, a new throttle body, minor things and I had to fix the cigarette lighter because it was blowing the #20 acc. fuse. It runs perfect! Put 7,000 miles on this year and it never let me down once. It's never been driven in snow, I would say it's never seen snow but we got a dusting (like 1/8th on an inch of snow) early this year but it melted off in an hour. That's the only time this car will ever see it :D
Sweet. Hope I can come across something like that sooner or later. Jonesing for a project/superhappyfunthirdgen for a graduation present. :D

·
8,984 Posts
Sold. It was going to be way to much work and they are too easy to break. Launch them a few times and you're done. That's how I am funding my work now.
What year T-5? The WCT5 is difficult to break, I tried.

Thirdgen.org would be easy to find someone... but, IIRC, you are unable to access that site.
:eek:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts