Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm just amazed we're looking at the final version of this car. It's been a long wait, and It looks so close to the Concept, I'm baffled.

GM design chief Ed Welburn and Chevy General Manager Ed Peper just gave the media our first up close and in person look at the new 2010 Chevy Camaro coupe. The reveal was done in the mechanical prep shop that GM design uses for the final prep on all its concept cars. Peper announced that Job 1 for the new Camaro will be coming on Feb. 16 of next year, and although no official pricing is available yet it will be priced aggressively says GM brass. That aggression goes right along with the new looks and powertrain choices for this new coupe, as well. Chevrolet will offer the Camaro in 3 trim levels, the V6-powered LS and LT and the V8-powered SS. The V6 is a direct injected 300-hp 3.6L unit while the 422-hp V8 displaces 6.2L. Both engines will be available with either manual or automatic transmissions, all with 6 speeds. An RS package will be available as an add-on to to the LT and SS models. GM designers have stayed remarkably faithful to the concept design, although they have made some tweaks mainly to the roofline.

Powertrains

An advanced, efficient 3.6L direct-injected V-6 with variable valve timing is standard on LS and LT models. Direct injection technology helps the engine deliver more power through increased efficiency, while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. That means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions generated – including a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions.

The Camaro's 3.6L engine also employs variable valve timing to optimize performance and fuel economy across the rpm range. It is rated at an estimated 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 273 lb.-ft. of torque (370 Nm). A six-speed manual transmission is standard with the 3.6L engine; a Hydra-Matic 6L50 electronically controlled six-speed automatic, with TAPshift control, is available.

The high-performance Camaro SS is equipped with a powerful 6.2L V-8, with a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Standard, manual transmission-equipped models receive the LS3 engine, estimated at 422 horsepower (315 kW) and 408 lb.-ft. of torque (553 Nm). The LS3 debuted on the 2008 Corvette and uses high-flow cylinder heads based on the Corvette Z06's LS7 engine to enable great low-end torque and high-rpm power. It is paired with a TR6060 six-speed transmission.

A new, L99 V-8 engine is used on automatic transmission-equipped SS models. It is based on the LS3 and carries all of its high-performance design features, but also includes GM's fuel-saving Active Fuel Management feature. It enables the engine to run on only four cylinders during light-load driving conditions, such as highway cruising, to improve fuel economy. The V-8 is estimated at 400 horsepower (299 kW) and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (535 Nm); and it is matched with a Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission. This combination delivers an estimated 23 mpg on the highway.

You've waited long enough:

* Three models - LS, LT, SS
* LS and LT come with 3.6L direct-inject V6 (300 hp/273 lb-ft)
* SS six-speed manual comes with 6.2L LS3 V8 (422 hp/408 lb-ft)
* SS six-speed automatic comes with new 6.2L L99 V8 (400 hp/395 ft-lb) and Active Fuel Management
* 3.6L DI V6 gets 26 mpg highway
* 6.2L V8 with automatic gets 23 mpg highway
* RS appearance package available on LT and SS (includes HID headlamps with integrated halo rings, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels)
* Front and rear independent suspension
* FE2 suspension for LS and LT, sportier FE3 for SS
* Four-wheel disc ABS standard, SS gets four-piston Brembo calipers
* SS model gets adjustable Competitive/Sport mode for stability control and Launch Control on manual models
* Available 18-,19- and 20-inch wheels

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Maybe the location for the knob to switch between sport/compo mode on the SS model.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
I just want the option! I just want there to be a choice! No one has to pay for it but me. But I like gadgets. It's not like it's new tech, just pull it from the Vette storage bin!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
It's hopefully a place to put the top up/down switch for the 'verts!

·
Registered
122 Posts

I'm just amazed we're looking at the final version of this car. It's been a long wait, and It looks so close to the Concept, I'm baffled.

GM design chief Ed Welburn and Chevy General Manager Ed Peper just gave the media our first up close and in person look at the new 2010 Chevy Camaro coupe. The reveal was done in the mechanical prep shop that GM design uses for the final prep on all its concept cars. Peper announced that Job 1 for the new Camaro will be coming on Feb. 16 of next year, and although no official pricing is available yet it will be priced aggressively says GM brass. That aggression goes right along with the new looks and powertrain choices for this new coupe, as well. Chevrolet will offer the Camaro in 3 trim levels, the V6-powered LS and LT and the V8-powered SS. The V6 is a direct injected 300-hp 3.6L unit while the 422-hp V8 displaces 6.2L. Both engines will be available with either manual or automatic transmissions, all with 6 speeds. An RS package will be available as an add-on to to the LT and SS models. GM designers have stayed remarkably faithful to the concept design, although they have made some tweaks mainly to the roofline.

Powertrains

An advanced, efficient 3.6L direct-injected V-6 with variable valve timing is standard on LS and LT models. Direct injection technology helps the engine deliver more power through increased efficiency, while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. That means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions generated – including a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions.

The Camaro's 3.6L engine also employs variable valve timing to optimize performance and fuel economy across the rpm range. It is rated at an estimated 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 273 lb.-ft. of torque (370 Nm). A six-speed manual transmission is standard with the 3.6L engine; a Hydra-Matic 6L50 electronically controlled six-speed automatic, with TAPshift control, is available.

The high-performance Camaro SS is equipped with a powerful 6.2L V-8, with a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission. Standard, manual transmission-equipped models receive the LS3 engine, estimated at 422 horsepower (315 kW) and 408 lb.-ft. of torque (553 Nm). The LS3 debuted on the 2008 Corvette and uses high-flow cylinder heads based on the Corvette Z06's LS7 engine to enable great low-end torque and high-rpm power. It is paired with a TR6060 six-speed transmission.

A new, L99 V-8 engine is used on automatic transmission-equipped SS models. It is based on the LS3 and carries all of its high-performance design features, but also includes GM's fuel-saving Active Fuel Management feature. It enables the engine to run on only four cylinders during light-load driving conditions, such as highway cruising, to improve fuel economy. The V-8 is estimated at 400 horsepower (299 kW) and 395 lb.-ft. of torque (535 Nm); and it is matched with a Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission. This combination delivers an estimated 23 mpg on the highway.

You've waited long enough:

* Three models - LS, LT, SS
* LS and LT come with 3.6L direct-inject V6 (300 hp/273 lb-ft)
* SS six-speed manual comes with 6.2L LS3 V8 (422 hp/408 lb-ft)
* SS six-speed automatic comes with new 6.2L L99 V8 (400 hp/395 ft-lb) and Active Fuel Management
* 3.6L DI V6 gets 26 mpg highway
* 6.2L V8 with automatic gets 23 mpg highway
* RS appearance package available on LT and SS (includes HID headlamps with integrated halo rings, spoiler, specific taillamps and 20-inch wheels)
* Front and rear independent suspension
* FE2 suspension for LS and LT, sportier FE3 for SS
* Four-wheel disc ABS standard, SS gets four-piston Brembo calipers
* SS model gets adjustable Competitive/Sport mode for stability control and Launch Control on manual models
* Available 18-,19- and 20-inch wheels

What happened to the V8 that was going to get 30mpg??

·
Registered
349 Posts
Forget that push start issue. The one thing that really shouted out at me in the interior were all those scuff marks down by the door panel and up by the windsheild panel. I can't believe they would even allow that during this particular day.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
A really stiff rear end.
would you really call 3.42's "really stiff"? I don't think any gears would get you 30mpg's.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
" SS model gets adjustable Competitive/Sport mode for stability control and Launch Control on manual models "

A corvette with the A6 Transmission has the Sport mode on the shifter.
P , N , R , D , S

it says above you get the " adjustable Competitive/Sport mode " on manual models....... does that mean you dont get that on the Automatics like they offer on the Vette ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
4.10s FTW... at least that's what my 13mpg TBSS has...haha

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
would you really call 3.42's "really stiff"? I don't think any gears would get you 30mpg's.
Compared to my 2.73 in my 89 RS, yes. And on long road trips where I can cruise at 70mph for a few hours at a time, I will get 30mpg in my car. 210 miles on 7 gallons.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Compared to my 2.73 in my 89 RS, yes. And on long road trips where I can cruise at 70mph for a few hours at a time, I will get 30mpg in my car. 210 miles on 7 gallons.
it's also a 5.0.

3.42's are hardly steep, kind of right in the middle IMO.
I'm disappointed there's no 3.73's (hopefully they'll be an option). You're the only one I've seen wanting more of a "highway" gear. If your that worried about MPG's go, for the V6.

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
The SS has 4-way adjustable Stabilitrak. whats that ?

And if we do go with the paddle shift since it is said to be an option will it come with the 2.73 performance axle option like it is in the Vette ?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
The SS has 4-way adjustable Stabilitrak. whats that ?
StabiliTrak uses sensors to detect the difference between the steering wheel angle and the direction you're actually turning and depending on the situation, applies quick, precise force to the appropriate brakes to help the driver control the vehicle’s direction to help keep it on course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilitrak

As long as I can fully defeat it, I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stick with it

I am very impressed with GM's decision to stick to the concept design! Really minor, mandated changes seem to have been made. Excellent work team Chevy!

·
Premium Member
4,818 Posts
StabiliTrak uses sensors to detect the difference between the steering wheel angle and the direction you're actually turning and depending on the situation, applies quick, precise force to the appropriate brakes to help the driver control the vehicle’s direction to help keep it on course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilitrak

As long as I can fully defeat it, I'll be happy.
oh ok ty

1 - 20 of 31 Posts