Modern Camaro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure you've all seen the new Malibu commercial. the new car you can't ignore, and all of that. hoiwever, if you get the chance, read the fine print. base price is $19,995 and the car as shown in the commercial (optional equipment?) is $28k and change.

i don't think this bodes well for a nicely optioned V-8 camaro. probably be in the mid- to high-thirties. :eek::eek::nutkick:

this, of course, is not based in fact, but on my own twisted imagination

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know that there is a Quote out there somewhere of confirming that the GTO was overpriced, and that the Camaro would be "Competitive" with Mustang.

(I can't find the related link to that, Someone find it and feel the need to post it good on you!)

But yea, take a 4thgen SS/Vert could easily cost that.

I have a sneaky feeling that once the dust clears, a regular decently equiped V8 will run under 30K though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 2000 SS was $32K MSRP, $31K out the door.

That was before the days of rebates, I paid $800 over invoice.

I'd expect a loaded V8 5th gen to be a bit more than that. Mid 30's at least.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't expect it to be that much, since it was already said by Fbodfather himself that the pricing will be around the same of the mustang.
i understand, and while i have a lot of respect for him, he's still only speculating. until the first one hits the showroom floor, i won't believe they'll be able to be had for under 30.

while a lot of the 4th gens did carry heavy pricetags, you could still get a nicely optioned v-8 for under 30. way under 30, if you know what you're doing. i might have to wait a year to get a 5th, although it will kill me to wait. 'sides, i'd like to give them time to sort the bugs out. then, i'll be able to get what i want, in the color i want for a very reasonable price.

i'm just saying, the introductory price may actually shock some of you (this following the discussion of the bumblebee being worth over 40k for the contest).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Bumble Bee price again? Probably close to ten grand of that is for the paint, then you take away what ever special options they added and the price for the Camaro should be very reasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
a base V8 Pontiac G8 is less than 30k and it is nicely equiped too:
http://www.pontiac.com/g8/

base G8 GT standard equipment

6.0L with AFM
6spd trans with driver shift mode and sport mode
upgraded brakes
6 disc in dash CD player with 6.5" LCD display and mp3 playback
18" alloy wheels
GT hood
GT tail lamps
duel exhaust

The Malibu is in direct competition with the Camry and they are very close in price.

I expect the Camaro to be priced lower than the G8 mainly because it will be built in Canada instead of Austrailia. I think the G8 will probley be priced lower when it moves to Canada as well or at least get some rebates.

The Camaro is direct copetition with the Mustang and should be priced close as well. This is not a limited production car.

btw I believe what Fbodfather says, far better than speculation when it comes from him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, that too.. They are't going to let the mustang get away from them that easy. we'll be passing them at the track again with this new car like we've done with every generation of the past.. :D

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
i understand, and while i have a lot of respect for him, he's still only speculating. until the first one hits the showroom floor, i won't believe they'll be able to be had for under 30.

while a lot of the 4th gens did carry heavy pricetags, you could still get a nicely optioned v-8 for under 30. way under 30, if you know what you're doing. i might have to wait a year to get a 5th, although it will kill me to wait. 'sides, i'd like to give them time to sort the bugs out. then, i'll be able to get what i want, in the color i want for a very reasonable price.

i'm just saying, the introductory price may actually shock some of you (this following the discussion of the bumblebee being worth over 40k for the contest).
While a 2002 Z28 Coupe had a base MSRP around $22,500 and the convertible was around $29,500, that was 2002. Keep in mind, those were BASE cars.

If anyone exepects those same MSRP numbers or anything close for that same optioned car in 2010 they are kidding themselves.

8 years before 2002 the base hatchback Z28 had an MSRP around $17K if that give any type of gauge :D

I, like many others, think GM would be foolish to price the Camaro too much more than comprable Mustangs...

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Since it has been said its going to compete with the mustang and priced close to the stang, I've looked at what gt cost and what options they come with. If that turns out to be true the camaro won't be priced too crazy, however the first few I'm sure will have the dealer adjusted market value tag.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I can remember going to the local dealership and seeing a well equiped z28 for 26 grand and some with a few obtions for 24 grand. the base v8 wont sell very good if it is above 28 grand. Iam waiting for the SS and my limit is about 36 grand but most camaro fans cant afford anything in the 30's. I hope for chevy and the camaro fans sake they get this one right!

95 Z28 hot cam kit, headers, all the bolt on's running low 12's and a daily driver!:roxor::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
http://www58.forddirect.fordvehicle...les|fordvehicles&referrer=http://www.ford.com

Just as a reference. Here are things to think about and keep in mind we are speculating.

-Possible 300hp V6 in camaro (vs. comparible mustang with 300hp V8)

-If the camaro is equipped with similar standard options, a base camaro could be equipped as good as a premium equipped mustang

So I dont expect to drive away from the chevy lot in a $25k V8 equipped camaro. Here's my 2 cents:

-Base V6 = $22-25
-Base V8 = $29-32
-SS = $34-36

·
Registered
375 Posts
That sounds reasonable(guessing wise). All I want is the v-8 and few options for myself an that's it, if I can get Top-Dog this time around so be it, if not, since I've resigned myself to another 12yrs at work, I'll trade up down the road.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the msrp may be in the range of a loaded mustang,
but im pretty sure the stealerships will take advantage of the camaro/tf
relationship and gouge the prices deeply, :screwy:
unfortunately:BangHead::eek::confused:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
the msrp may be in the range of a loaded mustang,
but im pretty sure the stealerships will take advantage of the camaro/tf
relationship and gouge the prices deeply, :screwy:
unfortunately:BangHead::eek::confused:
It won't last long. I think GM plans on sending the dealers plenty of them.

·
Premium Member
2001 Camaro Z28
11,842 Posts
I still don't think markups are going to be much of a problem.
Camaro is a mass produced vehicle, so the supply will be there to match the demand.

Like I've said before, unless you really need to be the first person in your town to have one, there shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.