Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Hints Camaro V6 might get more power in 2011.

In the never-ending muscle car war between the Camaro and Mustang, Ford's V-6 model currently has the advantage as it boasts better fuel economy and more horsepower for the 2011 model year than the 2010 Camaro. Chevrolet Camaro and Corvette marketing manager John Fitzpatrick hinted to us today that the entry-level Mustang's horsepower lead may be short-lived.

When specifications on the 2011 Mustang were released, after noting the startling fuel economy improvement of the V-6 car to 19/31 mpg city/highway, we found it amusing that the car's new 3.7-liter unit made exactly one horsepower more than the 3.6-liter, 304-horsepower V-6 Camaro.

We asked Fitzpatrick whether Chevrolet would respond to the numbers challenge (the 2010 Camaro V-8's 426 horsepower already trumps the 2011 Mustang's 412 horsepower) in the next couple years. He told us, "you might see it sooner than that," noting that details on the new 2011 Camaro will arrive in a few weeks.

"It's really great to see [Ford] stepping up their game," Fitzpatrick said, explaining that he believes Ford used the Camaro as a benchmark.

Source: Automobile Magazine

2011 Camaro Pricing & Specifications are due to arrive on April 15.

·
Registered
457 Posts
How about a better sounding exhaust to go with that power increase?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
If my GM performance air intake ever comes in, I'll have more power. It's been on back order since last fall.

What's that disappearing in my rearview mirror? Oh, it's just another Mustang!

·
Registered
589 Posts
OOh they need to have what, 2hp to be higher than fords? LOL its stupid. They can throw some timing around and get that by chance alone. Redyno it stock in a cooler temp?

I dont understand why people think 1 hp extra is that much better? Plus its a 6 so who really really cares except for the women, who usually dont care about hp in the first place.

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
OOh they need to have what, 2hp to be higher than fords? LOL its stupid. They can throw some timing around and get that by chance alone. Redyno it stock in a cooler temp?

I dont understand why people think 1 hp extra is that much better? Plus its a 6 so who really really cares except for the women, who usually dont care about hp in the first place.
It's basic marketing ;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's basic marketing ;)

I understand it from that standpoint, but people on forums (mainly ford guys coming to chevy forums) arguing over 1hp is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
spec comparisons

I'm a huge Camaro fan, having owned one myself, however i'd like to point out a few comparisons that i came across that I feel like something needs to be done about. all of these comparisons will be done with the "GT" and "SS" (6 speed manual). we'll start with the curb weight of the two cars; Camaro: 3860lbs., mustang: 3605 lbs. HP; Camaro: 426Hp 420lb-ft., Mustang: 412hp 390lb-ft. weight to power; Camaro:9.06:1, Mustang:8.75:1. as you can all plainly see if they dont lower the weight of the camaro, the mustang WILL be faster even with less power... if you feel i did the math wrong then please feel free to confirm them yourselves. I HATE the fact that the Mustang will ever be faster than the Camaro, so something needs to be done. Is anyone else as mad about this as me? or have we all been blinded by our love of Camaro that we have refused to see the facts?

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
have we all been blinded by our love of Camaro that we have refused to see the facts?
There are some of us who do understand this. I can only speak for myself, but these facts do not diminish the passion I have for the Camaro.

This isn't the first time the Mustang has been able to "best" a Camaro (87-92 & 03-09), but this time around, the difference is much easier to make up. I expect GM to come out with some nice changes for 2011 & 2012. Even with the present options, the Mustang is not running circles around the Camaro. Furthermore, competition is a good thing.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I'm a huge Camaro fan, having owned one myself, however i'd like to point out a few comparisons that i came across that I feel like something needs to be done about. all of these comparisons will be done with the "GT" and "SS" (6 speed manual). we'll start with the curb weight of the two cars; Camaro: 3860lbs., mustang: 3605 lbs. HP; Camaro: 426Hp 420lb-ft., Mustang: 412hp 390lb-ft. weight to power; Camaro:9.06:1, Mustang:8.75:1. as you can all plainly see if they dont lower the weight of the camaro, the mustang WILL be faster even with less power... if you feel i did the math wrong then please feel free to confirm them yourselves. I HATE the fact that the Mustang will ever be faster than the Camaro, so something needs to be done. Is anyone else as mad about this as me? or have we all been blinded by our love of Camaro that we have refused to see the facts?
I feel the same. Before it didn't matter so much becuase Ford was way off HP and MPG, but now there going to be right there with Camaro, but the Camaro is a lot heavier. Camaro will have to have a significant HP gain or lose some weight or Mustang will have best performance.

Lose a little weight and improve MPG as well as performance.

Also I'm not a Mustang fan, but I do like to see them fight and I want Camaro to fight back. Thats how we the customers get great cars and great american cars.

I will be glad to see an alpha Camaro if they keep the V8s.

We don't know the specs on the 2011 Camaro yet so we can't compare the two yet, but I hope Camaro stays on top. So you can't be mad about facts when you don't have them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts