Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK

See Octane I was thinkin befor I posted this.

I know that u guys have see threads like this before. But I havnt seen any of them. It does look like Dodge is tryin to possible use thier 392 as a possible engine in thier SRT verison of the Challenger according to Car and Driver. I know the hold up is getting that motor to act right with fuel regulations and etc. My point is.
Do u guys think that the Camaro will have a shot stock just stock of going against these cars that are going to be 500hp. Shelby GT500 and possibly 500hp Challenger. Or are we going to have to mod are cars just to keep up. Bob Luts made that comment a while back saying he wasnt worried about Dodge he has a 100 extra horse power on tap with the ZO6 motor. This would have been cool if they wouldnt have deciced to axe the motor a short time after.
Ive thought about it. I mean if my family car which is 4100lb Charger the SRT version runs around mid 13's with 425hp. 500hp means high to mid 12's
My feelings are that GM doesnt need a 500hp motor to get those et's all they need is the LS3 in a 5th gen that weighs the same as a 4th gen.:roxor:

What do u guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Going to depend on the weight of the new Camaro mostly. 3800 or below and the LS3 can easily handle both the GT500 and the SRT boats. If they weigh more then they are going to need to bump that up some more. If so lets just hope GM puts one of the supercharged engines in its stable into the new pony.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Look, you can't compare a GT500 to a Z28 or even an SS. Where a GT500 is $70K (market value), using the 4th gen performance structure, a Z-28 is probably going to be less than $35K, and an SS is going to be less than $40 or $41K. Also, I've heard that their going to miss the market on pricing with the Challenger. I've heard an R/T (Z28s equivalent) is probably going to cost upwards of $40K. So you better believe and SRT is going to be $45-$50K.

I'm getting tired of hearing "I better be able to keep up with a GT500 stock." Why? Did you pay $70K for your Camaro? Probably not. I can guarantee you it's not going to cost another $30 or $40K to mod it to keep up.

Bottom line: Compare apples to apples. Z28, GT, R/T

If you want a version of the Camaro to keep up with a 500 or 600 hp Challenger or Mustang, ask GM to make a COPO, Yenko, Motion, or any other special edition you can think of, but expect to pay what the equivalent GT500 or SRT is going for. (It's not going to happen, when you start getting into Cobra Territory, GM figures that's what the vette is for)

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
My first car was no slouch..despite the 3spd auto that didn't like to shift in the high-rpms (ONLY reason why I barely lost a impromptu dragrace to a chrysler..I was going like 50mph in 2nd gear..if I let off the gas enough for it to drop into 3rd..it would have been all over.)
**** I miss that Quad4 in that light car..it was a mini-rocket.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I agree with Dev, the Camaro isn't going to be made to compete with the overly priced sloth of a tank GT500 (sloth for the amount of hp it has)

Even I'm going to say it, it's funner to mod your car. Even tho I wont mod for a LONG time.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look, you can't compare a GT500 to a Z28 or even an SS. Where a GT500 is $70K (market value), using the 4th gen performance structure, a Z-28 is probably going to be less than $35K, and an SS is going to be less than $40 or $41K. Also, I've heard that their going to miss the market on pricing with the Challenger. I've heard an R/T (Z28s equivalent) is probably going to cost upwards of $40K. So you better believe and SRT is going to be $45-$50K.

I'm getting tired of hearing "I better be able to keep up with a GT500 stock." Why? Did you pay $70K for your Camaro? Probably not. I can guarantee you it's not going to cost another $30 or $40K to mod it to keep up.

Bottom line: Compare apples to apples. Z28, GT, R/T

If you want a version of the Camaro to keep up with a 500 or 600 hp Challenger or Mustang, ask GM to make a COPO, Yenko, Motion, or any other special edition you can think of, but expect to pay what the equivalent GT500 or SRT is going for. (It's not going to happen, when you start getting into Cobra Territory, GM figures that's what the vette is for)
:rotflmao:
Now this is funny. Explain to me again why we cant compare the 2? Pricing? Is the GT500 not a pony car. Oh i see now we can only race cars in our price range now is that it. I dont know where your from but in my home town when the 40k 03-04 Cobra came out they were lookin for 30k-26k LS1's Doesnt matter how much your car cost. Thats like tellin some one they cant line their old Nova up against our soon to be 5th gen because ours cost more. When mags did shoot outs the Shelby was in the competion with cars 20 or 30 thousand dollars more than that car cost. Pony car is a pony car Im not tryin to compare it to the GT 40.
Let me also say in a differnt catagory. SRT's are good competion with V seris caddys. And I think the Caddys cost alot more.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
:rotflmao:
Now this is funny. Explain to me again why we cant compare the 2? Pricing? Is the GT500 not a pony car. Oh i see now we can only race cars in our price range now is that it. I dont know where your from but in my home town when the 40k 03-04 Cobra came out they were lookin for 30k-26k LS1's Doesnt matter how much your car cost. Thats like tellin some one they cant line their old Nova up against our soon to be 5th gen because ours cost more. When mags did shoot outs the Shelby was in the competion with cars 20 or 30 thousand dollars more than that car cost. Pony car is a pony car Im not tryin to compare it to the GT 40.
Let me also say in a differnt catagory. SRT's are good competion with V seris caddys. And I think the Caddys cost alot more.
stock for stock, you CAN'T compare them....because admit it, the camaro is NOT trying to compete with the GT500 STOCK.

He never said you couldn't race against other cars, I think you misunderstood his post.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Im with Dev and Sluuug. Yes, this is a apples to oranges comparison. One said you couldnt race against varied priced cars; it just the class of car. This comparison is basically the base V8 (which prolly will be just a LS3 or L76) against the other flagship top cars. If you want a good comparison, make it 6.4 SRT-8(When and if available), GT-500, and Corvette, then SS, Mach 1, and 6.1 SRT-8, then Z28, GT, and R/t. I dont expect my GT to run with a Cobra, no I dont. Different class.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stock for stock, you CAN'T compare them....because admit it, the camaro is NOT trying to compete with the GT500 STOCK.

He never said you couldn't race against other cars, I think you misunderstood his post.
I understood his point. I can admit as far as we all no the answer is no. Chevy isnt tryin to keep up with the Shelby. But the thread was to see how many of u think that they might. But at the end of the day the GT500 is still a pony car. So its still considered in the Camaro's class. Even if it does cost 70k

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Pony Car is broad term used as liberal as the term "muscle car".

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The point of the thread was to see if any one thought that GM might jump on the ban wagon.
And to state that for all we know the Camaro might have a chance of runing right along side GT500 depending on its weight.
I personally dont care if it can run with the GT500 bone stock as I will make it in mods.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
GT-500:

1/4 Mile ET: 11.891
1/4 Mile MPH: 118.900
1/8 Mile ET: 7.665
1/8 Mile MPH: 94.600
0-60 Foot ET: 1.705

2005 GTO:

1/4 Mile ET: 12.830
1/4 Mile MPH: 107.400
1/8 Mile ET: 8.240
1/8 Mile MPH: 85.600
0-60 Foot ET: 1.890

Charger SRT-8:

1/4 Mile ET: 13.213
1/4 Mile MPH: 108.670
1/8 Mile ET: 8.588
1/8 Mile MPH: 84.930
0-60 Foot ET: 2.048

----I expect the Challenger to be the same or at least 100lbs lighter of a Charger and have a 6.1 in the R/t model. So give an extra tenth.
--Challenger= 13.0

---I expect with better traction abilities (due to wider stock tires, and a better IRS), similar weight and 35 extra hp to be 1 or 2 tenths faster.
--Camaro= 12.6

---Its been said that the GT500 will have 550hp by 2009. (Still heavy and most likely ford just puts on a smaller puller from the factory)
--GT500= 11.5

So people can get my idea of how I guess it to be. I still will be getting a Camaro. I hate bench racing (especially before the cars are out), but i do think about it. If a GT500 beats me, I wont be upset at $35k.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
If a GT500 beats me, I wont be upset at $35k.
BINGO!

Sorry, to some extent price does determine class. If you WANT the Camaro to beat the SRT-8 Challenger or GT500 stock for stock, you're asking too much and, in the end, you will be disappointed.

Personally, I don't want to spend more than $38K on a Camaro. I was approved by the bank up to $40, but I could go and grab a sunset orange metallic C6 for $42 all day long, which WILL keep up with the more expensive GT500 (and the almost assuredly more expensive SRT-8 Challenger).

All I'm saying is that I hate seeing this posts that are asking for unrealistic expectations.

Realistic Expectation: In the 1/4 the Camaro is going to smoke the Mustang GT and R/T Challenger. (it sure as hell better, or I'll get a R/T)

Unrealistic Expectation: In the 1/4 the Camaro is going to keep up with the GT500 and SRT-8 Challenger.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I think a LS3 camaro can handle a GT500. Hopefully it will be lighter too.

Vette thru IRS put down 389.5 RWHP stock with the LS3 NA
With mods it made 506.7 RWHP

GT500 thru live axle put down 435 RWHP stock with supercharger
Does anyone have some RWHP of a modded GT500?

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/2008-chevrolet-corvette-ls3-dyno-results

"Next up was the car with the 6 speed manual transmission. The manual transmission was more efficient and put down 389.5 horsepower and 377.4 pounds of torque. These are very impressive numbers from both cars, easily beating Chevrolet’s published numbers of 430HP and 424 pounds of torque. Using a conservative drivetrain loss of 17-18%, these cars are pushing over 450 horsepower."

"LG put added longtube headers, performance cam, ported intake, K&N aircharger, under drive pulley and a custom tune to one of the cars and added over 100HP to the wheels. The car now prodcues 506.7 HP and 457.1 tq"

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GT-500:

1/4 Mile ET: 11.891
1/4 Mile MPH: 118.900
1/8 Mile ET: 7.665
1/8 Mile MPH: 94.600
0-60 Foot ET: 1.705

2005 GTO:

1/4 Mile ET: 12.830
1/4 Mile MPH: 107.400
1/8 Mile ET: 8.240
1/8 Mile MPH: 85.600
0-60 Foot ET: 1.890

Charger SRT-8:

1/4 Mile ET: 13.213
1/4 Mile MPH: 108.670
1/8 Mile ET: 8.588
1/8 Mile MPH: 84.930
0-60 Foot ET: 2.048

----I expect the Challenger to be the same or at least 100lbs lighter of a Charger and have a 6.1 in the R/t model. So give an extra tenth.
--Challenger= 13.0

---I expect with better traction abilities (due to wider stock tires, and a better IRS), similar weight and 35 extra hp to be 1 or 2 tenths faster.
--Camaro= 12.6

---Its been said that the GT500 will have 550hp by 2009. (Still heavy and most likely ford just puts on a smaller puller from the factory)
--GT500= 11.5

So people can get my idea of how I guess it to be. I still will be getting a Camaro. I hate bench racing (especially before the cars are out), but i do think about it. If a GT500 beats me, I wont be upset at $35k.
Just wondering were are u getting your times from?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.