Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin just bought a 2002 Ford Lightning, and he thinks because it is supercharged, it is way faster than my Camaro.

i explained to him stock for stock the Camaro wins hands down, even showed him actual 1/4 mile times from the internet of each.

he goes off to say, "well once i get my intake, headers, pulley and tune it will smoke YOUR camaro."

i explained to him, "well if my camaro was 100% stock, maybe, but realize everything you just listed i already have, and i'm not done with my upgrades!"

seriously, a lightning faster than a camaro??? what a :clown:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I cab see where he's coming from having had, and ultimately totaled a lightning they are quick, but the Camaro is going to win.

·
8,984 Posts
Take it to the track and show him right now.

·
8,984 Posts
Hollar at me when you get back brother!!!!!! I live 2 miles from the track. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dude, IT IS A PICK-UP TRUCK!! I hate wannabe vehicles. It's like the Porsche Cayenne or a Jeep SRT8. WHY?! Seriously, if you can't figure out your vehicle's identity, stop trying to make it something it is NOT! I blame your cousin for the Lightning, Porsche for making a Turbo-Charged SUV ($108,000.00), and Dodge for the SRT8 Jeep. If you want to lay down rubber, stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and buy a muscle or sports car to come to grips with your vehicle's identity. I hate pretenders. It's like a scrawny nerd with too much money buying a Ducati motorcycle and showing up wearing leather at the bike rally in Sturgis. Makes no sense. :facepalm:

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Dude, IT IS A PICK-UP TRUCK!! I hate wannabe vehicles. It's like the Porsche Cayenne or a Jeep SRT8. WHY?! Seriously, if you can't figure out your vehicle's identity, stop trying to make it something it is NOT! I blame your cousin for the Lightning, Porsche for making a Turbo-Charged SUV ($108,000.00), and Dodge for the SRT8 Jeep. If you want to lay down rubber, stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and buy a muscle or sports car to come to grips with your vehicle's identity. I hate pretenders. It's like a scrawny nerd with too much money buying a Ducati motorcycle and showing up wearing leather at the bike rally in Sturgis. Makes no sense. :facepalm:
:rolleyes:

What's wrong with having best of both worlds?

That's like saying a Corvette engine shouldn't belong in a Camaro, because it's not a Corvette. :facepalm:

·
Registered
811 Posts

The thought is nice, but in reality, it doesn't really work. It doesn't look right and it looks desperate. At least to me it does. I own a Cobalt SS/SC and if I even entertained the notion of competing with somebody, I would only view the Civics, Neon SRT4's, and assorted rice as being of the same or similar ilk. Trying to envision my Cobalt, with all the mods and bolt-ons in the world, it would never be a muscle or sports car. It might put up comparable or better times, but I understand the difference and would never consider playing in that league of car. I guess I believe in everything being logically structured. Sorry you disagree, but you are entitled to of course.

This is why I own a Camaro SS/M6 AND a 2006 Cobalt SS/SC/M5.

·
Registered
811 Posts

That's like saying a Corvette engine shouldn't belong in a Camaro, because it's not a Corvette. :facepalm:
Well, a Corvette engine, by design, was installed stock in the 2010/2011 Camaro SS's so that makes sense on every level. If you are using that thought process, then I'll go one better and ask you if putting a 6.2 HEMI engine in a Dodge Neon makes that car worthy or being in the same class with Camaros and Corvettes? Performance aside, that idea is beyond incomprehensible. It looks stupid and desperate. Why not add add quad exhaust tips to it as well and really make it look embarassing? Far fetched but I think you get the picture.

To be completely fair, on that note, the Camaro will NEVER be a Corvette either not matter what I do to my car, so that is why I don't bother playing that game. I know what my cars are and I leave it at that. Ignorance is easier to sort out when you understand what you have/are up front.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Bold statement. Once I get my Camaro (its ordered), I plan on turning my truck into a prostreet vehicle, 427cu inch small block, mini-tub, new rear suspension, etc. I bought my truck because I hated all new age muscle cars at the time and couldn't afford older muscle, so I found my generation's muscle cars, which were trucks. V8's with rear wheel drive. And when I'm done, it will be a better performance vehicle than most on the road. People can do whatever they want, take a vehicle design they like and apply the performance they are interested in. I'm not a fan of your cookie-cutter approach to the world. I don't think you should have those stripes on your Camaro, they are not stock, how dare you do something that was not designed for your vehicle by the manufacturer.....tsk, tsk, tsk

·
Registered
811 Posts
Bold statement. Once I get my Camaro (its ordered), I plan on turning my truck into a prostreet vehicle, 427cu inch small block, mini-tub, new rear suspension, etc. I bought my truck because I hated all new age muscle cars at the time and couldn't afford older muscle, so I found my generation's muscle cars, which were trucks. V8's with rear wheel drive. And when I'm done, it will be a better performance vehicle than most on the road. People can do whatever they want, take a vehicle design they like and apply the performance they are interested in. I'm not a fan of your cookie-cutter approach to the world. I don't think you should have those stripes on your Camaro, they are not stock, how dare you do something that was not designed for your vehicle by the manufacturer.....tsk, tsk, tsk
Is it not still a Camaro? Am I pretending it isn't? Relax, of course you can do whatever you want and so can I. I guess I'm more upset with the categorization of things. People tend to get ahead of themselves when they aren't prepared for the "moment." This "moment" tends to occur when you spend money on a vehicle for one purpose and then realize you wanted something else but either cannot undo what was done or cannot get what they want because they can't afford to do it. Example:

I bought a Cobalt because I need it to be practical for work and great on gas. I didn't want a slouch of an engine, so I picked up the SS with the Supercharger. The car wasn't meant to race for my purposes but if people implied that I bought the car for that reason, the car would look the part and be placed in the correct category as the other cars in it's class. I also am aware I would look silly bringing my Cobalt to a Muscle Car Meet thinking I'm a badass and could give those cars a run for their money, nor would I think my car has the same appeal or personality as a Camaro, Mustang, Challenger or Corvette. That is just irresponsible, but I REALLY wanted to have that appeal and upgrade to that class of Muscle Cars where all the allure and respect are. No matter what I did to my Cobalt, I wasn't going to get there that way. I saved up and purchased a Camaro.

You might not care for appropriate categorization and perhaps fast pick-up trucks and ridiculous turbo-charged SUV's are your thing, but from MY vantage point, it is atrocious. You want to deck out a truck or van, that's fine, please do so, but remember that you are not driving a vehicle in the same category as a muscle CAR regardless of what you do to it. And if you don't like my stripes, you can kiss my grits, son! Not sure why personal attacks were necessary but I will just chalk that one up to insecurity. I forgive you. :D

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
There are plenty of fast trucks and SUVs. I think they are pretty cool for what they are. Slamming someones personal reasons for getting one would be the same as golfaholic slamming your stripes.

Different strokes for different folks. They wouldn't make them if people did not buy them. This is the same reasoning you purchased your Cobalt. Others can say you're driving a rice rocket with a ridiculous wing and obnoxious exhaust, but you purchased the car for the reasons stated. Perhaps people purchasing the Lightning or GCSRT purchased their rides for the same reason -- something faster and more unique than the bread and butter trucks/suvs.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ok, ok, firstly I wasn't trying to make it a personal attack, I actually like your stripes, but I was trying to use it as an example. I used to think like you, I would go to car shows and see late model cars, and be like what the eff, these aren't muscle cars, why are these wannabes here. A lot of people say the same things about the new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, and even Vipers. You classify your car as a muscle car, but a lot of folks do not, many argue that muscle cars ended in the early 70's. Its like Demonspeed said, its all perspective, based on my perspective my truck can be a muscle car/truck, based on your opinion your Camaro is a muscle car, and based on some one elses their '72 Chevelle is the last muscle car. Sorry it came off as a personal attack, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I took your original comments as a personal attack.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I think people are focusing on titles too much. It doesn't matter if it has 2 wheels and pedals, if it can get down the that 1/4 mile faster than you, it won.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think people are focusing on titles too much. It doesn't matter if it has 2 wheels and pedals, if it can get down the that 1/4 mile faster than you, it won.
:werd: :agree:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok, ok, firstly I wasn't trying to make it a personal attack, I actually like your stripes, but I was trying to use it as an example. I used to think like you, I would go to car shows and see late model cars, and be like what the eff, these aren't muscle cars, why are these wannabes here. A lot of people say the same things about the new Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, and even Vipers. You classify your car as a muscle car, but a lot of folks do not, many argue that muscle cars ended in the early 70's. Its like Demonspeed said, its all perspective, based on my perspective my truck can be a muscle car/truck, based on your opinion your Camaro is a muscle car, and based on some one elses their '72 Chevelle is the last muscle car. Sorry it came off as a personal attack, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I took your original comments as a personal attack.
I'm sorry as well for being defensive. I guess there is no ultimate authority on who says what is a muscle car and what is a rice rocket. If you are happy with what you own then I suppose it can be whatever you desire it to be as long as you are happy! :) I wasn't offended whatsoever. I just said what I said so I could further elaborate my stupid point. :) No denying that the TRUE muscle car era was in the late 60's-early 70's. Not really sure WHAT the new Camaro really is but only that we DO know whatever that classification truly is has the nameplates and company of Mustangs and Challengers. Your guess is as good as mine I suppose. :) Nobody does muscle like guys like you golfaholic. I'm a wannabe since I wasn't around in that era and am proud to know there are diehards like you still around who know what the deal is!! :) :lol:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My cousin just bought a 2002 Ford Lightning, and he thinks because it is supercharged, it is way faster than my Camaro.

i explained to him stock for stock the Camaro wins hands down, even showed him actual 1/4 mile times from the internet of each.

he goes off to say, "well once i get my intake, headers, pulley and tune it will smoke YOUR camaro."

i explained to him, "well if my camaro was 100% stock, maybe, but realize everything you just listed i already have, and i'm not done with my upgrades!"

seriously, a lightning faster than a camaro??? what a :clown:
Hey this is camarochic's better half haha. But I'm a big Lightning fan.
Ok stock for stock the camaro will win but you do have to watch out for lightnings from a dig with the right mods they can be sick.
Now from a roll the camaro will win atleast 85% of the time.

Now for the guy that says having a WANNABE truck? Well I'm building my 93 Svt Lightning right now and on motor we are expecting low 12's in 1/4 mile. And thats pretty good for a 4500# pickup truck. The way I look at it if you go to the track how many mustangs, camaros, or vettes do you see? It's the trucks and suvs that impress me so talking smack about anything other than fast cars is just flat out ignorate.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
...I'm building my 93 Svt Lightning right now and on motor we are expecting low 12's in 1/4 mile.
A Gen 1 is a much different truck than the Gen 2. Not even comparable, IMO. 12's are the 13's of the late 90's -- yawn fest. Cool truck? Yes, but I'll take the blown 331 over the 351 any day. Pulley swap, exhaust, intake, tune = :D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts