Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After more than two months of fiddling with knobs, climbing into back seats, scouring about for USB jacks and generally picking apart 40 new vehicle interiors, the editors of Ward’s Automotive Group announce the winners of the 2010 Interior of the Year awards.

Throughout February, March and early April, eight Ward’s editors evaluated 40 vehicle interiors. The 40 nominees were either all-new vehicles or offered significantly upgraded interiors for the 2010 model year.

Editors submitted scoresheets for each vehicle and awarded points based on fit-and-finish, comfort, material selection, safety and overall value.

They also paid attention to ergonomics and awarded points for accessibility of buttons, switches, vehicle controls and USB audio jacks. They climbed into the back seats of sporty coupes and into the third row of SUVs and cross/utility vehicles.

They folded down back seats to see how much usable storage space was gained and whether the load floor was relatively flat.

Most important, editors evaluated design harmony and aesthetics to see if all the design elements came together to impress, delight, soothe and surprise drivers and passengers.

This year’s nominees were split into six vehicle categories, two of which were price-capped. From year to year, the categories change based on launch cycles. For instance, four hybrids were new to the market, so they were given their own category.

Also under $30,000, this year’s Sports Car winner is the all-new Chevrolet Camaro, which carries on some classic Camaro styling cues while delivering a host of contemporary technologies.

Full Article: WardsAuto.com

:thumbsup:

Also FYI... Equinox also won in the "Popular-Priced truck under $39,999" category! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
They bought that award off. Everybody knows the Camaro interior is cheap plastic. LOL

·
Registered
589 Posts
Waits for Ford guys to complain or say it was because the mustang wasnt in the running.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
there's one person with a blue camaro that wrapped all the plastic trim in leather... looks really good, but **** i bet it was expensive!

if i had money to throw around, i would wrap all the plastic in leather, do the roof in suede, make the seats leather and suede. try and keep it real clean and luxuious looking without making it too gaudy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
If I had my way I would have crank windows, non-power driver seat, cloth seats, 2 airbags only. Do ya see where Im going with this one?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
there's one person with a blue camaro that wrapped all the plastic trim in leather... looks really good, but **** i bet it was expensive!

if i had money to throw around, i would wrap all the plastic in leather, do the roof in suede, make the seats leather and suede. try and keep it real clean and luxuious looking without making it too gaudy. :thumbsup:
Leather requires more TLC than plastic, unless you plan to keep the car covered in storage most of the year. I think the big issue people have with ALL that plastic is that it doesn't have to be rock hard. Textured coatings have been available for years and don't cost that much more to apply, pre-assembly. I'm not all into touching and feeling my car's interior, so it's not a big deal to me.

I just don't get why people want suede in the interior.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If I had my way I would have crank windows, non-power driver seat, cloth seats, 2 airbags only. Do ya see where Im going with this one?
Yeah man - hopefully they will have this as part of a track pack for the Z. In addition, I'd like to see the "track pack" package include: caulking delete (20 lbs of that stuff on each car), sound deadner/insulation delete, trunk carpet delete, OnStar delete, and fog light delete. I am definitely going to talk to John Fitzpatrick about that one when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
great news! and i find the interior to be very functional too.

i'm with weland. i'm not petting the **** dash, so i could give a hoot if it feels like plastic or not. news flash, any reaonably priced car has a plastic dash and panels. why mags even harp on that crap is beyond me.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
yea agreed, it has a sporty "racecar" feel/look to it that whiney european luxury car owners are complaining about. kinda like the dodge viper interior, but looks much better than that IMHO!

·
ModernCamaro.com Founder / Former Camaro Disciple
11,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love that the dash can get a quick wipe and look like brand new.
+1

I keep a Microfiber towel in the drivers door pocket, and whenever the dash gets a bit dusty a give it a quick wipe-down and it's perfect again. :)

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i'm with weland. i'm not petting the **** dash, so i could give a hoot if it feels like plastic or not. news flash, any reaonably priced car has a plastic dash and panels. why mags even harp on that crap is beyond me.
I've been saying for quite a while now that all Chevys except the Vette, should come with hard plastic IP's. I'm also one who keeps my vehicles for a decade (more for camaro) so I appreciate the good quality plastic in the dash and door panels because I know they will be just as nice 10 years from now.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I've been saying for quite a while now that all Chevys except the Vette, should come with hard plastic IP's. I'm also one who keeps my vehicles for a decade (more for camaro) so I appreciate the good quality plastic in the dash and door panels because I know they will be just as nice 10 years from now.
agreed, my truck is 13 years old and the grey plastic dash and door panels still look like the day i bought the POS! and i haven't cleaned the interior in it since last summer :eek:

·
THE FBODFATHER
487 Posts

Thank you!

I get a smile on my face because we've taken a lot of flack over the interior....and as you point out, Camaro people tend to keep their cars for -

.........oh ---- a century or so! ;)

While in Minneapolis, I had the opportunity to walk a few enthusiasts thru the show.

I pointed out the Mercedes R350 --

-- mismatched graining -- shading mismatches -- various gloss levels -- and on the driver's side, one fellow was actually able to put his hand between the door and the IP -- whereas the IP and passenger door had a gap not much more than a few thicknesses of paper......

It really is shocking to walk thru an autoshow (prior to it opening) and spend some time just looking at door panels and IPs and seat sew-lines and materials.......

I'm even more happy that the Equinox won an award (well deserved if I must say so myself!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts