Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think u would get a great bang for your buck out of the LS3 engine but is it possible to do the modifications on the LS3 to make it into the LS9.

If not what would u have to do to get simular horsepower and torque from the LS3 to match the LS9.

Also what would be the components u would need and an idea of cost.

As well what would u have to do to the chassis to handle the new power.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
dude the ls3 and ls9 have the same block and THATS IT.. the ls9 is a hand built motor and it is EXPENSIVE to make the rest of the questions im too lazy to answer

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
They have the same head casting too LS9's are just CNC'd. But other than that you'd need the forged crank titanium rods forged pistons, CNC the heads, camshaft, blower etc etc. You'd be better off and much cheaper adding aftermarket forged pistons and blower and call it a day.

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
You could sell the LS3.
Parts list:
LS9 top end(supercharger)
Heads $2500
LSX 454c.i. block with forged internals $6000
Cam $200

IMO that should get you 1000+rwhp for $7700 plus the price of the top end from the LS9 and tune.

I would expect the complete LS9 crate engine to be in the $18-20K range.

Found this:
http://blogs.superchevy.com/6229843/super-chevy-comments/more-chevy-power/index.html
Our source inside GMPP, says this: "GM Performance Parts is looking into releasing the top half of the LS9 into their GM dealer system so that they could release it as a separate part number in addition to LS9 crate engines. That will allow you to convert an LS3 (with a piston/rod upgrade) to the top end potential of the LS9. Or, just imagine the potential with one of their LSX blocks punched out to 500 cubic inches!" All I can think of is putting this engine into a '67 Camaro, then somehow adding the ZR1's 15.5-inch carbon ceramic front disc brakes for stopping power. Of course, you if these parts get released, you could just add them to your 2010 Camaro. Oh, the possibilities ..

dude the ls3 and ls9 have the same block and THATS IT.. the ls9 is a hand built motor and it is EXPENSIVE to make the rest of the questions im too lazy to answer
I don't believe they are hand built. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could sell the LS3.
Parts list:
LS9 top end(supercharger)
Heads $2500
LSX 454c.i. block with forged internals $6000
Cam $200

IMO that should get you 1000+rwhp for $7700 plus the price of the top end from the LS9 and tune.

I would expect the complete LS9 crate engine to be in the $18-20K range.

Found this:
http://blogs.superchevy.com/6229843/super-chevy-comments/more-chevy-power/index.html
Our source inside GMPP, says this: "GM Performance Parts is looking into releasing the top half of the LS9 into their GM dealer system so that they could release it as a separate part number in addition to LS9 crate engines. That will allow you to convert an LS3 (with a piston/rod upgrade) to the top end potential of the LS9. Or, just imagine the potential with one of their LSX blocks punched out to 500 cubic inches!" All I can think of is putting this engine into a '67 Camaro, then somehow adding the ZR1's 15.5-inch carbon ceramic front disc brakes for stopping power. Of course, you if these parts get released, you could just add them to your 2010 Camaro. Oh, the possibilities ..

I don't believe they are hand built. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the 454 an easy swap?

Sounds like that is the way to go.How is this engine for reliability?

Also are u saying that I could get all of this done for around $10,000 with installation?

What would I have to do to the chassis and driveshaft for it to take the added power?

Last where is a good place to purchase all of this?

Thanks

·
5,668 Posts
Is the 454 an easy swap?

Sounds like that is the way to go.How is this engine for reliability?

Also are u saying that I could get all of this done for around $10,000 with installation?

What would I have to do to the chassis and driveshaft for it to take the added power?

Last where is a good place to purchase all of this?

Thanks
I doubt you will be able to get the supercharger and get it installed for $10k.

Read my last post.

The block is supposed to be able to hold 2500HP. I have no experience with it though. I do know it is a direct LS style engine replacement. It can be punched out to 500ci+ and there is a tall deck version that can go even bigger. Should not be to hard of a swap. No harder than adding forged bottom end to the LS3.

I am sure you will want to upgrade other things if you want that much power.

Check your PM box.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

·
See You On Course
3,867 Posts
So, can you? Yes. Would you? No. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
I doubt you will be able to get the supercharger and get it installed for $10k.

Read my last post.

The block is supposed to be able to hold 2500HP. I have no experience with it though. I do know it is a direct LS style engine replacement. It can be punched out to 500ci+ and there is a tall deck version that can go even bigger. Should not be to hard of a swap. No harder than adding forged bottom end to the LS3.

I am sure you will want to upgrade other things if you want that much power.

Check your PM box.
500+ci?
dang
would the cylinder walls be super thin or what?
could the handle much more after that?

·
5,668 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Why not buy a plain-jane coupe for $20,000 (Estimate).

Then You have $8k-$10k to play with before you even hit SS price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the difference between LS7 handbuilt and however a LS3 is assembled/built?

I can't imagine there are robots that can assemble an entire engine.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
2,774 Posts
DW,

if your looking for a LS9 engine for the look go ahead. It will cost you A LOT!
Compared to doing something a little more to the LS3.
For the price of the LS9 you could shop around and find some cheaper and a few more ponies than what the LS9 offers. There is some things that some of the LSX guys are doing that make the LS9 look like childs play in terms of HP.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts