Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a fresh 350 and quadrajet 4 barrel in my 71 RS. I was told by the engine guy to fill the bowl on the carb before trying to start it to prevent repeated cranking. What is the best way to fill the bowl? I thought there was a vent on top you could just put gas into and it would fill it but was not sure which hole to use to do this or if it's even possible. Alternatively I was thinking about gravity feeding some fuel into the line going to the carb but was hoping for some input on this.

If I put fuel in this hole will that fill the bowl?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Welcome to the site Rogera!!

You want to open the butterfly's on the carb and pour the fuel into there, but you only need to pour fuel in the front ones, not the back ones. But, be careful as too much will flood it out. If you have a mechanical pump, the only thing you really need to do is pump the pedal a few times.

I have removed and reinstalled my Holley HP several times and never once poured fuel directly into the carb. True it takes a couple of cranks for her to fire up, but nothing that will hurt your starter or drain your battery. I'm not exactly sure why your engine builder was worried about repeated cranking. Don't get me wrong, you don't want to hold the key for minutes on end, but let it crank for a few seconds while you pump the heck out of the gas pedal. Stop for a few minutes, then repeat. It won't take long for the fuel bowls to fill up and for her to fire.

Just my two cents..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His concern is with the flat tappet cam getting chewed on the cranks I guess. I know I can prime it directly into the throat but thought I remembered a way to fill the bowl from up top as well. I dunno, that's just what he suggested. I wouldn't think with the assembly lube it would hurt anything for the few cranks it would take but this was the break in directions I was given.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well I have done many engine starts, and like bucky sayes it should not hurt it by cranking a few times. Do you have a mechanical fuel pump? If so then a few revloutions of the engine will fill up the bowl for you. Do you have a glass fuel filter in the inlet side of the carb, If you do just add some fuel to it by disconnecting it and pour some in and you will see the fuel going in. Have someone doing the cranking for you or hook a remote stater and do it your self...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts