Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Washington -- The long-awaited cash for clunkers program, which starts Monday, will include more vehicles than previously expected, thanks to changes unveiled in the final rules that were officially released Friday.

More...

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
I remember Summit Racing sending me a petition to ban this program so that parts vehicles were not destroyed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cash for clunkers

The only problem I see with this program is that Obama is taking the cost of it out of the military budget!!! They're baaaaaack!!!!

·
Supporter of common sense
9,152 Posts
Clunker was a poor term to choose, it makes it sound like it has to be a near junk POS vehicle.

Regardless, I'm still not a fan of spending our money to entice people to take on new car notes who have no business doing so to begin with. We'll have to see how this program pans out.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Just an item to note, the "voucher" price, whatever that is, is ON TOP of the scrap value price that the dealer must disclose and give you for your "clunker". So for example, if they say your car is worth $200 scrap, and you qualify for a 4500 voucher, you actually get a $4700 credit. It's cumulative, not exclusive.

If anyone does this, just keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
So I could buy a junker for a few hundred dollars, drive it to the dealer, get $$$ back from "Dear Leader" for it and pick up my Camaro?

·
Registered
544 Posts
So I could buy a junker for a few hundred dollars, drive it to the dealer, get $$$ back from "Dear Leader" for it and pick up my Camaro?
No. You have to own the vehicle for at least a year to qualify for the program.

I've thought about giving up my Firebird for this because it's in rough shape, and I don't know when I'll ever have enough money to fix it up right :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
One thing that the TV News is not saying, that once you turn the vehicle in as C.A.R.S. as it is called, that vehicle is required by the Government Law that it is to be crushed. The dealer cannot sell it, cannot trade it, or take it to auction. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab, I would not have it crushed. I think that I have figured that it gets about 10 - 12 mpg. Becuase it has HD - Heavy Duty, EPA states that GM doesn't have to post the MPG on it, where you have to figure it out by yourself. Before someone uses the Clunckers for Cash, need to check what the government requirments are, if the government requires the dealer to turn it over to them to crush. Some vehicles shouldn't be crushed. Like they say, "Don't crush them, restore them." I am hoping that the government doesn't go after the older cars, 1960's classic's, and we need to stand strong about not crushing the older classic's.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Drive train must be disabled by basically putting some sort of block hardener in the crankcase. There is a fight is about who is supposed to do it, dealer or someone else.

But from the way I read it, stuff like fenders, doors, steering wheels, etc, could be recovered. Just not any drivetrain components. I could be wrong.

·
9,152 Posts
One thing that the TV News is not saying, that once you turn the vehicle in as C.A.R.S. as it is called, that vehicle is required by the Government Law that it is to be crushed. The dealer cannot sell it, cannot trade it, or take it to auction. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab, I would not have it crushed. I think that I have figured that it gets about 10 - 12 mpg. Becuase it has HD - Heavy Duty, EPA states that GM doesn't have to post the MPG on it, where you have to figure it out by yourself. Before someone uses the Clunckers for Cash, need to check what the government requirments are, if the government requires the dealer to turn it over to them to crush. Some vehicles shouldn't be crushed. Like they say, "Don't crush them, restore them." I am hoping that the government doesn't go after the older cars, 1960's classic's, and we need to stand strong about not crushing the older classic's.
I also believe 2500 series and higher trucks are not allowed in the program

·
Registered
46 Posts
This bill is great!! If only we can get them to start financing cars with interest only loans.

Frick'n sweet, I could only afford this 1992 Camaro with 305 TBI that really gets 19mpg average and 29mpg on the highway (I've done the math and thats what it really gets) But the since the "NEW" mpg for this says its 18mpg (via the government). I can have it crushed and have a sales guy talk me into buying an Aveo5 (with power locks and windows) for $16,085. So $4500 off and $1,000 rebate (via GM), So total for the loan would be $10,585 and 10% interest rate (via bankrate) for 36months. Would make my total payments $341.55 a month. Plus now I have to carry full coverage insurance since the car has a loan, which would increase to about another $100 a month. So now I've increased my monthly spending to $441.55 a month. Good thing my employment is stable in this economy:angry:

Wow, I can see the next big bail outs...AUTO LOANS:angry:

·
9,152 Posts
This bill is great!! If only we can get them to start financing cars with interest only loans.
Interest only loans are the worst, please realize that was a part of why we are in this current economic situation we are in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just an item to note, the "voucher" price, whatever that is, is ON TOP of the scrap value price that the dealer must disclose and give you for your "clunker". So for example, if they say your car is worth $200 scrap, and you qualify for a 4500 voucher, you actually get a $4700 credit. It's cumulative, not exclusive.

If anyone does this, just keep that in mind.
Based on the cars.gov website, I definitely qualify for $3500 and my GM dealer is a participanting dealer based on the website.. As for the scrap value added on, can you point me to the specific section in the plan that to confirm your statement about the scrap value added on...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interest only loans are the worst, please realize that was a part of why we are in this current economic situation we are in.

Exactly, that was sarcasm, My point is this bill has great potential to fall suit with exactly how the housing market crashed and all the bailouts

·
9,152 Posts
Exactly, that was sarcasm, My point is this bill has great potential to fall suit with exactly how the housing market crashed and all the bailouts
I see. Finally someone else able to see the forest through the trees :cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello forum,

I know someone who works for a large junk yard (automotive recycler). He told me they have to scrap the engine & tranny. They can keep the rest for parts sales.

He also said they were not paying for them. I questioned this & he said comments were made about the profit they would make & if they were paying for them it was very little but said he would check for me & find out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts