Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has thrown the dreaded but expected CEL only 278 miles after I installed the headers, from what I have read the rear O2 sensors are usually the culprit.
I am going to check the code just to be sure I am not damaging anything.
Both AutoZone and O'Riley's here in Centennial, CO said they would read the OBD-II code for free.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Most likely, you need a tune.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, a tune is indeed needed but I am waiting till after I install my Bo White Ported Throttle Body. In the mean time I will check the code to make sure I didn't break something else.

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts

·
RDP Motorsport USA
57 Posts
Once you fit headers you will always get a lean or rich code, P0420 P0430 P1133 P1153 etc you will need to have the car tuned to remove the code as well as give you the extra added performance from your header upgrade, its well worth the dollars that you will invest in the tune to maximise the vehicles performance and remove the CEL light.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's a nice SuperChevy article on bolt-ons in a 5thGen.

5th-Gen Camaro Bolt-On Mods - Mods For the Masses
Thanks for the nice article (here is the link to second part Mods for the Masses Part 2). Glad to see that I have done most of what's on their list save the underdrive pulley, the tune will be next month. Anyone else happen to do the same/similar mods and for what HP gain? Pure stock my car dyno'ed at 365 RWHP I had it dyno'ed after the mods listed below but before a tune and it hit 404 RWHP, almost 40 HP gain. Hope the tune pulls a few more HP out.

My mods:
  • CAI cold air intake
  • ADM scoop
  • Roto-Fab w/w relocate
  • Stainless Power LT headers
  • Stainless Works High flow Cats
  • Hearthrob cat back H-pipe with high flow mufflers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, thankfully it was only those two expected codes:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Went to O'Reilly Auto Parts here in Centennial, CO and they read the codes for free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts