Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Camaro. A 2011 SS. The car has 14k miles on it and is in show room condition. I put Kook long tube headers with Kook full flow Cats. I am getting a check engine lite code 1153 and 1154 which is for a rich or lean run. I spoke to the owner of the performance shop that put on my headers and he said to install a cold air intake and he can do a tune and a dyno for about 1k. He Sid this will solve the problem.

My question is this a good idea and what gains will I get from these mods? He claims 20 HP or so but will solve my code problems. Have any of you guys had this problem. I was more interested in upgrading the rear end gearing to 373's to get more pop out of the car . Right now budget is a concern and I want the car to drivable with no problems. Any suggestions and does anyone know a really good shop in the morristown area of North NJ.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
$1,000 is steep for a dyno tune. The most I've ever seen them for an N/A bolt-on car is $600. Do not give that guy a G for a dyno tune.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Definitely get an CAI & tune. IMO, clearing the codes and giving your car that healthy tune would be more important than adding more mods while the car isn't running the smoothest it could be. CAI's really help the 5th gens if you buy one of the top quality kits from like CAI Inc. or Roto-Fab, or a couple of the others. Getting a tune comes with the territory of modding a car, it's essential for giving your car the best performance with mods you have installed.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Dyno tune should be in the 3-400 dollar range. You should also get a street tune while you are at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tune

The 1 k does include the CAI installed the tune and the dyno. What gains can I expect?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends on the CAI you go with, Janetty Racing did a comparison test on a bunch of the CAI's that was a true no catch 22 test. The results varied per CAI no matter what the manufacturer printed on the box. The test may be listing in the results are JRE CAI comparison, I believe the test was done & posted in 2011. I've heard great things about CAI Inc's kit and according to the test it provides something like 12+ HP, that will probably be the one I buy when I get my car. Also is your car LS3/Manual 6 or L99/Auto 6? AFM delete/L99 tune on L99 cars help the performance greatly at least 25HP+. I have no idea what the LS3 tunes can provide, but I'd imagine with the mods you would have with the tune I'd say at least 30HP.

·
Bully Proof
7,086 Posts
Adding headers without including a CAI is not a good idea...so adding that mod IS A MUST at this point. The tune is necessary to optimize the modifications and take care of the CEL but doesn't have to be done immediately...although I would do the tune before moving on to the rear mods.

As far as gains...nobody can give you accurate figures...especially without knowing what CAI you're gonna go with...but the estimate given to you already is a good ballpark. Be sure to select to do some research and choose a good quality CAI because there's a lot of cheap junk out there and you need to know what you're buying.

And the price quoted to you seems really high to me so I would talk to a few other performance shops before making any decisions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Performance shops

The problem is finding a good performance shop in my area. I live in north New Jersey and it seems all of the local guys are like back yard mechanics.

By the way the car is a LS3 manual. Any tips on the CAI and a good performance shop?

·
Registered
217 Posts
CAI by cold air inductions with the kit bought through apex to relocate the washer bottle and scoop in fresh air is the best with a 16h.p gain and a good tune can gain 20h.p and is a must when installing headers to avoid the codes.......See the posts on which cai to choose on this forum active now.......

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just bought my first Camaro. A 2011 SS. The car has 14k miles on it and is in show room condition. I put Kook long tube headers with Kook full flow Cats. I am getting a check engine lite code 1153 and 1154 which is for a rich or lean run. I spoke to the owner of the performance shop that put on my headers and he said to install a cold air intake and he can do a tune and a dyno for about 1k. He Sid this will solve the problem.

My question is this a good idea and what gains will I get from these mods? He claims 20 HP or so but will solve my code problems. Have any of you guys had this problem. I was more interested in upgrading the rear end gearing to 373's to get more pop out of the car . Right now budget is a concern and I want the car to drivable with no problems. Any suggestions and does anyone know a really good shop in the morristown area of North NJ.

Thanks
Jdarc1,

That engine check light must be killing you as you drive. Any light that's not suppose to be on I hate in my cars.

If you have the money I'd go for it BUT you may have to visit him in the future for future tunes just to keep that light off.

In California using any CAI will keep us from passing any smog check when the time comes. For me I'll just keep mine stock and just cruise the streets.

Good luck,

Mail Clerk

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your thread but this is what scares the crap out of me. My car is a 2013 and i hate to mess with anything that connects to the engine. For example, i kept getting a ck engine light on my car, this happened when i installed a CAI. I thought it was my CAI so i took it off. I still got the engine light, turned out it was a false alarm. My bottom line is this, there is a possibility it has NOTHING to do with any mod you did to the car and is just a faulty part. The thing is, its hoping that the dealership agrees to it. Yea, i know there shouldn't be a worry because it doesnt touch that and the law says that but at the same time it does bring some stress in your life. I was stressed with my light, a check engine light on a car your still making payments on doesnt make anyone comfortable

1 - 16 of 16 Posts