Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Supporting Super Moderator
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy expects over half of all Camaro ZL1 models to be automatic

Consider this a sign of the times: Even though Chevrolet is readying its highest-performance Camaro ever, General Motors executives are reportedly already hedging their bets that over 50 percent of all 2012 ZL1 orders will be for automatic transmission models.

The high expected order rate for automatics paired with the 6.2-liter, 580-horsepower ZL1 not only follows a growing market preference for two-pedal vehicles, it also suggests that even sporty car buyers are noting that advancements in design have all but eliminated the performance deficit long associated with this type of transmission.

Low take rates also means that fewer models are even available with manual transmissions, and it's a problem that's only getting more acute. With fewer new cars being fitted with manual transmissions, opportunities for learning how to drive a three-pedal car (along with people who can teach how to drive them) are fewer and further between. The result? Even fewer manual transmissions.

According to the Ward's Auto report, fully 89 percent of 2010 model-year passenger cars were fitted with automatic gearboxes. In the case of Chevrolet's Camaro, even the existing SS model is trending at 70 percent automatic, and that's higher than the 65 percent take rate among base Corvette purchasers.

The Oshawa, Ontario-built Camaro ZL1 is expected in dealers in the first quarter of 2012.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
this is exactly how i feel.
like i said in the other web site...the GTR guys all say....the GTR is fun for the first month or so...then after that, its just another car.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
like i said in the other web site...the GTR guys all say....the GTR is fun for the first month or so...then after that, its just another car.....
You could probably say that about any car, though.:)

Anyone want to start a time of death pool for the first ZL1 transmission death?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
You could probably say that about any car, though.:)

Anyone want to start a time of death pool for the first ZL1 transmission death?
that shouldnt be said about a car as great as the gtr...and it sure shouldnt be said about a car that is coming close to supercar potential.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
As the owner of an A6, I don't think I would compare this transmission to a sequential gearbox that shifts in fractions of a second. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of driving a gtr, but something tells me that when I do, I will shift it like my manual most of the time and enjoy the luxury of not having do when I don't want to. For me it would be the best of both worlds.

Hopefully the next generation Vette will offer that has an option.

As for the ZL1 I am convincing my wife to buy me...it will certainly be a manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
that shouldnt be said about a car as great as the gtr...and it sure shouldnt be said about a car that is coming close to supercar potential.....
Yeah, but you know how that goes. You get 400 HP, then you want 500.

You get 500, then you want 600.

Remember, no matter how good looking she is, someone else is already tired of sleeping with her. :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question, but does a sequential tranny have a clutch? Never drove one.
Yes it actually has 2 clutches but no clutch pedal :). The clutches are automatically engaged via electro mechanical means. One clutch manages odd gears and the other even gears. Allowing for the next gear to always be ready for next shift as soon as paddle is selected. End result is shifts in less than 1/10th of a second. (I think).

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question, but does a sequential tranny have a clutch? Never drove one.
...it depends on his/her outfit whether he/she needs a clutch (handbag)

You could ask a certain mod over on TOS. I'm sure you'd get the right answer!

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
Auto FTW. Welcome to the 21st century!

I guess some of you would rather be in front of the car to srat it, and have to adjust timing with a knob on the dash, or stoke it up with wood or coal and wait for steam pressure before driving.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,258 Posts
More fun is subjective. The comuter can respond FAR faster than you can, and....
Performance for auto and man SS Camaros are almost identical, with auto edging out the man.

This is the point where we agree to disagree.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts