Votes: 18 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i mite be getting a new left over 2012 2SS Camaro. I need to decide manual or auto. I think manual but see the paddle shifters on the auto. Muscle cars are manual but I thought id ask if there is any regrets getting a manual.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Besides clutch wearing out no. GM still hasn't solved the issue with the clutch fluid heating up causing bubbles and being left with a pedal being stuck to the floor. My last car was a 6 speed WS6 and I honestly don't miss the clutch issues.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
extra 26hp

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I just answered my own question but would like to hear thoughts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
i mite be getting a new left over 2012 2SS Camaro. I need to decide manual or auto. I think manual but see the paddle shifters on the auto. Muscle cars are manual but I thought id ask if there is any regrets getting a manual.
There are many different reasons for choosing a manual or an auto. Autos these days are better than they were in the past. Even tho the L99 makes less hp/tq and has more drivetrain losses, the auto Camaro is still neck and neck with the manual. Unless a manual driver launches flawlessly and hits every shift quickly and perfectly the auto driver will win every time. In fact, I think Chevy purposly made the autos less powerful so they wouldn't beat the manuals stock to stock. The fastest official time I've seen for the auto is a 13.1 and the fastest for the manual I've seen is a 13.0. Autos are easier to drive and they shift quicker than a human can shift. However manuals are more fun, give more of a feel of driving and feel of a muscle car, and are more impressive. Either way is a win-win. I will probably never go back to an auto tho.

·
Livin' the dream!
573 Posts
When I got out of the military, I drove a truck for a living.

So... I'm SO over the shifting thing. All my vehicles have been automatics except for the '74 Datsun B210 I drove in high school.

Besides, my auto ZL1 is faster than the manual one by a tenth from 0-60 and who knows how much faster in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Also if you get a tune on the auto you won't believe how quick it will shift. My gf hates it when I put it in S, it actually bothers her neck lol.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've always been a manual guy. All the cars I bought for myself for toys since the 80's have all been manual.

That being said, after calibration, I love the 6l80/90 transmission. The key is after calibration. 95% of my business seems to be automatics. The 4l80 is good, but nothing as sweet as the 6L80/90s

I can see my next car being a ZR1 Corvette ( just because the prices are dropping so fast for the 2009s), or a automatic Camaro.

I just hate to sell my C5 corvette.

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I drive mine in "S" all the time and do all the shifting myself, would not have it any other way. IMO

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
manuals are for the street and autos for the track and will rule the track any day, i love my manual on the street but its a PITA at the track

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is an Auto. I liked the Tap Shift. I also got a better deal on the Auto because mine was a 2010 and the 2011's were out.
If I had to do it over again, I think I would've just bought the manual.
I'm thinking of trading for a '13 manual with the Dual Mode Exhaust. Don't know if I want to spend that much. The L99 cars are too quiet, and active fuel management is a PITA.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
The only thing I hadn't decided when I was ready to go the dealer was auto or manual ... I test drove another auto and my dealer had failed to give me the chance to drive two other manuals they had used on the lot (had to get it inspected before anyone could drive one and the other they just failed to tell me). So when I saw mine while I was on vacation in SC and it had everything I wanted I bought it ... it was an auto. My wife wanted an auto (though she has not driven it yet) and I remained up in the air. I have had a number of manuals and they can certainly become annoying in traffic or if you have a lot of lights; on the flip side if you drive open highway, you never shift. Personally, the paddle shifters are plenty for me, but I do wish the stupid dealer had given me opportunity to drive a manual ... he may have gotten my sale.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If I lived in a town that had some nice roads and a lot less traffic I would of bought a manual but because I live in the Tampa/Clearwater area and the traffic sucks auto was the way to go for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Autos take the fun out of driving ... Chirpin third gear is why I got the car ... Scares off ricers too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts