Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
what kind of price to expect would also work.. i'm seeing anywhere from 20- 40 bucks... seems waaaaay to cheap for automotive paint..

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
U can get it from walmart for like $10 :lol:

Side effects: wont last for more than 5 hours

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
what kind of price to expect would also work.. i'm seeing anywhere from 20- 40 bucks... seems waaaaay to cheap for automotive paint..
Thousands. And I wouldn't consider any website. If this is really something you want to pursue, I'd find a local top-notch body/paint shop and have a long talk about what you are wanting...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
U can get it from walmart for like $10 :lol:

Side effects: wont last for more than 5 hours
lmao, the reason i have to redo the stuff is because toyota used crappy stuff

btw, already asked this on the af page, but you been up around tom's river NJ? My best bud's grandparents have a beach house there, and we all hit the beach there every summer.. pretty sweet place at any rate

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thousands. And I wouldn't consider any website. If this is really something you want to pursue, I'd find a local top-notch body/paint shop and have a long talk about what you are wanting...
i'd like the stuff to last another 10 years at least so i can sell the car without having to redo it, but i can't afford to pay all that much.. i need a quote though, because my dad said he was gonna head up to a shop and see what he could do (I'm away at school), but i gotta get an idea of how much i'm gonna owe..

·
Supporting Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Clear coat and paint in general is a science today. I would highly recomend using one that is made by the same company that your current paint already is. You can pick up clear for as cheap as 20per qt for the duplicolor clear at just about any auto parts store, but if you just throw anything over your existing paint it very well could peel off. Paints are desgined to work as a system. I'm not saying you couldn't use different brands together but you really need to research what you intend to do before just throwing any together. Bad results can mean a complete redo $$$$

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you wanting to clearcoat the car yourself or have a body shop do it for you?
my dad's painting it... i thought we were doing it this summer, but apparently he wants to have it ready before i get back.. either way, trying to find out if i'm in for a jaw dropping price tag or not...

Clear coat and paint in general is a science today. I would highly recomend using one that is made by the same company that your current paint already is. You can pick up clear for as cheap as 20per qt for the duplicolor clear at just about any auto parts store, but if you just throw anything over your existing paint it very well could peel off. Paints are desgined to work as a system. I'm not saying you couldn't use different brands together but you really need to research what you intend to do before just throwing any together. Bad results can mean a complete redo $$$$
i understand what you're saying, and my dad's going to check on that soon... see above though... just hoping there was an average price i could look for..

·
2,416 Posts
eastwood has a urethane clear and activator kit for $130.00 per gal. The dupont and ppg paints are higher priced. The duplicolor paints are a lacquer type paint for about $20.00 per quart.

Yep I agree 100% toyota paint quality sucks. Swirls easy and clear coat lets go fast.

·
2,416 Posts
I also see that you hope it to last 10 yrs. Thats going to be much to expect without a redo as far as roughing up current paint and using a quality system.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I also see that you hope it to last 10 yrs. Thats going to be much to expect without a redo as far as roughing up current paint and using a quality system.
That's where I was going with this -- I see two basic options. You can either buy a couple cans of clearcoat, try your luck spraying it over the factory finish in the backyard and hope you do better than Earl Scheib, or pay professionals to pull panels, trim, etc., prep, spray & reassemble.

Personally, I think the first option is far worse than doing nothing.

FWIW, I've already talked with the dealer about NOT doing a pre-delivery wash/detail and I plan to claybar the car and apply several coats of Tropic-Care the day after I get it...

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's where I was going with this -- I see two basic options. You can either buy a couple cans of clearcoat, try your luck spraying it over the factory finish in the backyard and hope you do better than Earl Scheib, or pay professionals to pull panels, trim, etc., prep, spray & reassemble.

Personally, I think the first option is far worse than doing nothing.

FWIW, I've already talked with the dealer about NOT doing a pre-delivery wash/detail and I plan to claybar the car and apply several coats of Tropic-Care the day after I get it...
Hehe, I live on a farm, we've got our own shop :D

My dad's worked on farm equipment for years, he's got the whole kit and kaboodle for spraying, blasting, sanding etc; he painted our suburban, his dump truck, and multiple other vehicles... the truck turned out pretty good, but the suburban orange peeled slightly, i think mostly because he only put one coat on and didn't sand anymore.

I'm sure if i put some elbow grease into whatever comes out this summer i'll be able to get her to shine real nice... :)

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oops, forgot, he also primered the 'vette (1968 327), and it's pretty much faultess... i think he's gonna use the supra as practice for painting the vette

·
Admin/ChevyBlazerRep
4,638 Posts
lmao, the reason i have to redo the stuff is because toyota used crappy stuff

btw, already asked this on the af page, but you been up around tom's river NJ? My best bud's grandparents have a beach house there, and we all hit the beach there every summer.. pretty sweet place at any rate
I have been to toms river its been awhile tho... gotta love the beaches at the jersey shore

1 - 20 of 28 Posts