Modern Camaro Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the instrument cluster lighting (backlighting?) be adjustable from full on to full off (unlike the new Sierras)??? Will there be a "really DIM" option (unlike the GTO)???

I hope it doesn't have the Retina-searing MPH indicator, either. Does anyone at GM drive at night, in the rain or fog?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dimmable: yes
Dimmable to full off: no that would be illegal
Dimmable to really dim: there are regulations that prevent certain items on the gauges to be below a given level.
Retina burning green MPH: no, the cluster is switchable but the MPH Kmh graphics are lit the same way as the rest of the gauge

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
^^^^^There you have it, the great GTC has spoken! Myth Buster's doesn't have sh*t on you, bud!:thumbsup:

<Threadjack> GTC, any mods to the new Ute, yet?:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
I can make the display extremely dim on my GTO. Refer to the owner's manual if you are unsure of the location of the brightness controls.

If you are referring to the MPH indicator being way too bright the dealer can fix that.

Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2) #04-08-49-023 - (Sep 10, 2004)
Speedometer MPH Indicator Too Bright (Reduce MPH Indicator Brightness Using Tech 2®)
2004 Pontiac GTO

Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 4L299640

Condition
Some customers may comment that the MPH indicator on the speedometer is too bright during night driving and that it does not dim with the IP lamps.

Correction
Follow the procedure below using the Tech 2® to reduce the brightness of the speedometer MPH indicator. This procedure must be followed exactly.

Important
The Tech 2® must contain software version 24.005 or later available from Techline® starting July 2004, on the TIS 2000 version TIS 07/2004 data update or later.

Install the Tech 2® to the vehicle and power on.
Select "Diagnostic" from the menu.
Build the vehicle from the menu options.
Select "Body" from the menu.
Select the correct transmission type.
Select "Instrument Panel Cluster" from the menu.
Select "Special Functions" from the menu.
Select "Programming" from the menu.
Select " Instrument Configuration" from the menu.
Press Enter.
Press "Change Data". Even though the screen deals with tire size and speed pulses, the data stream changes the MPH indicator brightness.

There is also a company that can do wonders with the cluster when it comes to color changes and lighting options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can make the display extremely dim on my GTO. Refer to the owner's manual if you are unsure of the location of the brightness controls.

There is also a company that can do wonders with the cluster when it comes to color changes and lighting options.

My '04 will not go dim enough to allow safe rain driving, especially since it was either clear the windshield or the side windows, but not both. I had my MPH indicator turned down after "arguing" with two dealers for 4 mos before one of them finally did it. Unfortunately, it still doesn't dim with the rest of the cluster, either. And, yes, I know who Chris White is;). We need him because any disassembly of the cluster requires "reprogramming".

·
Premium Member
5,229 Posts
Chris White will be a welcome addition. I'm sure he will be working on the Camaro clusters once they come out. He usually gets one of the 1st vehicles off the assembly line.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.