Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm still getting used to this clutch after driving manual Hondas for ten years. I just took a quick spin with my boss and stalled twice. Both times he was asking me questions about something and we were in heavy traffic so I was worried about going too fast off the start. Just goes to show that it has not come natural to me yet.

Oh well, I guess after only 8 days I shouldn't be too frustrated. :angry:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
depends on what you think he actually said, for he could have said something completely different

or he just admitted that he doesn't know how to drive his car :lol:

hahah sorry 78 couldn't resist the burn. you had to have known that you'd get some heat after making a post like this

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depends on what you think he actually said, for he could have said something completely different

or he just admitted that he doesn't know how to drive his car :lol:

hahah sorry 78 couldn't resist the burn. you had to have known that you'd get some heat after making a post like this
Yeah, I know. Just frustrated. I've actually been driving auto's for the last three years. Both my odyssey and the accord are auto's. So I was rusty to begin with. And to top it off, the last manual I drove was the civics--not exactly performance clutches!

Oh yeah, I also drove a ford f"u"cus wagon manual. Again, not a performance car.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
my fiance had a 99 accord ex that we traded in for her CRX.... paint was pertty much gone, subframe was bent, axles were shot, exhaust leaked, stereo didn't work, cruise control failed, and it still drove straight with 200k miles on it. the engine was the only thing in good working condition and we got $2500 trade in on it :lol: suckers!

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my fiance had a 99 accord ex that we traded in for her CRX.... paint was pertty much gone, subframe was bent, axles were shot, exhaust leaked, stereo didn't work, cruise control failed, and it still drove straight with 200k miles on it. the engine was the only thing in good working condition and we got $2500 trade in on it :lol: suckers!
One thing about those Hondas (and toyotas when they aren't crashing) is that they go forEVER.

We sold our one civic after almost four years for enough to pay off the loan and pocket a few grand. We then went out and leased a V6 Accord EX. I really like that car a lot. The lease is up this summer and my wife wants a Volvo wagon to replace the van.

I got rid of the f"u"cus in 07 to lease the Odyssey. At the time, I was coaching football, so toting a lot of kids and equipment.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
give it time. you'll get used to it. it took me about 2 weeks before i was comfortable driving my Firehawk. that my my first car with a manual trans and it was trial by fire cuz i pretty much learned to drive stick in that car.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
give it time. you'll get used to it. it took me about 2 weeks before i was comfortable driving my Firehawk. that my my first car with a manual trans and it was trial by fire cuz i pretty much learned to drive stick in that car.
I've only stalled it about 4 times: 1st time off the lot (was just overwhelmed playing with everything inside), a random time a few days ago, and then 2x's today. Both times my boss started distracting me. The one time on a steep hill, he kept saying, "oh, boy, let's see how you handle this." I should have told him to stfu.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I still have trouble shifting smoothly. I did learn the RPM tends to take its sweet time in falling after the clutch is depressed. If I take my time to shift, this allows the RPM to match the next gear's RPM a little better.

I still stall it occasionally too. There just doesn't seem to be the same feel as my linkage type clutch on my 83 Camaro.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have trouble shifting smoothly. I did learn the RPM tends to take its sweet time in falling after the clutch is depressed. If I take my time to shift, this allows the RPM to match the next gear's RPM a little better.

I still stall it occasionally too. There just doesn't seem to be the same feel as my linkage type clutch on my 83 Camaro.
I'm just waiting for the point where I can do it subconsciously. Just not there yet. How long have you had yours?

·
Registered
120 Posts
you could leave it in competitive mode the whole time and use launch control. That would eliminate the stall out problem, but will more than likely lead to other more expensive but much less embarrassing problems.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a Honda Civic as my run about-it's a manual......If I ve been in the Camaro, I seem to run out of gears in the honda waaaaay too soon!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
You'll get used to it. My work car is an auto and after a weekend of shifting the Camaro, I'm trying to shift the auto! I live in the country and when I go to the "city" with all the red lights, I do tend to get nervous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts