Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a CAI from Cold Air Inductions and gotta say it is definitely worth it as a MUST DO.. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a CAI...:thumbsup:

I had previously installed a full Stainless Works exhaust (headers, cats and 3" catback) which made a notable improvement on the top end. The CAI kit arrived a few days later which I promptly installed.

The installation was very straightforward, went in pretty smooth. Took it out for a spin and the results were impressive ... much more responsive, pulls harder and improves exhaust sound plus looks amazing (picture attached!) While parked and reving up the engine you can hear it pulling in all that air, sounds great!!

A few days later the SCT tuner came in with Ted's header tune which tied together the whole package very nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
CAI, the official brand of Camaro5, lol!! Yea it's definitely one of the popular intakes. And one of the top performing ones as well. I personally prefer the Vararam due to the fact that it provides the straightest most direct flow possible into the intake. And also because while moving, it will draw in the coldest possible air. Otherwise I would have considered CAI brand. It looks nice tho. Congrats!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice...Now for a race scoop and washer bottle delete or relocate to draw in even more air.I've got the Jannetty tune as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely going to do the scoop and wb relocation, also vmax ported TB.

Have not ran it at the track but did run a g-force timer on it and shaved over half a second with the mods (headers/CAI/catback and tune)

Have not ran up against a 5.0 mustang yet but have no problem taking out all bolt on- modded 4.6 GTs I have ran up against. Also ran a 2010 Shelby GT convertible where we neither of us could pull on the other after a few runs it came down to who got the jump on the other.. would not be able to do that with a newer one though....

Since I have a L99/A6 convertible I think I will need a bit more considering 3.73 gears and wider sticky tires to start. I would love to go with 3.92 gears but fear the hit with HW driving.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Definitely going to do the scoop and wb relocation, also vmax ported TB.

Have not ran it at the track but did run a g-force timer on it and shaved over half a second with the mods (headers/CAI/catback and tune)

Have not ran up against a 5.0 mustang yet but have no problem taking out all bolt on- modded 4.6 GTs I have ran up against. Also ran a 2010 Shelby GT convertible where we neither of us could pull on the other after a few runs it came down to who got the jump on the other.. would not be able to do that with a newer one though....

Since I have a L99/A6 convertible I think I will need a bit more considering 3.73 gears and wider sticky tires to start. I would love to go with 3.92 gears but fear the hit with HW driving.
Yea with your mods a similarly modded 4.6 3V won't stand a chance...even with their weight advantage.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I also was impressed with the addition of the cold air intake, really improves mid RPM power. I looked at several and found this one by Spectre at Summit Racing for under $150.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im still waiting for variram to get one out for the 2012 up V-8'S. I just called them last week and they said another 1 1/2 months to go???:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
What strut tower brace is that??

·
Registered
670 Posts
Last week, I did a bolt ons 2012 MN6 LS3 Camaro. He bought it used from a dealership with the stainless power headers with HF Cats, CAI no scoop, Borla exhaust no tune.

Pulled it up on the dyno and he was 402 RWHP/ 386 RWTQ out of the box. I told him that was going to tough to beat even with a tune. We ended up with
419 RWHP/413 RWTP. It got really torque.

Even without the scoop, I still had to add a little fuel on street the street test run because it leaned out a hair. It didn't really need the extra fuel until the owner said he was adding the scoop and I wanted to keep him safe.

Id say my personal favorite intakes would 1st be Vararam and 2nd CAI.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Last week, I did a bolt ons 2012 MN6 LS3 Camaro. He bought it used from a dealership with the stainless power headers with HF Cats, CAI no scoop, Borla exhaust no tune.

Pulled it up on the dyno and he was 402 RWHP/ 386 RWTQ out of the box. I told him that was going to tough to beat even with a tune. We ended up with
419 RWHP/413 RWTP. It got really torque.

Even without the scoop, I still had to add a little fuel on street the street test run because it leaned out a hair. It didn't really need the extra fuel until the owner said he was adding the scoop and I wanted to keep him safe.

Id say my personal favorite intakes would 1st be Vararam and 2nd CAI.
Is it possible that he never had it tuned in the first place? Or that perhaps he had just a custom email tune?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got a email from variram and they said they might have the kit for 2012+ SS camaros by end of this year now. Guess im just gonna go with a CAI for now. Ive waited almost a year now for the variram. Ive been holding off on the high flow legal cats to bolton to my bbk shorty headers untill my variram came in. So now im looking for a used CAI for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input on these pages.
Got my CAI delivered yesterday.
Along w/ a washer fluid bottle relocate kit and an air scoop.
Catch can gets delivered today.
Ported TB is on the way.
Question... is there any reason I shouldn't install the TB on to the intake and then install it all together at the same time?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Question... is there any reason I shouldn't install the TB on to the intake and then install it all together at the same time?
That is what I plan to do ... why go through the pain twice? My TB and CAI are on order now ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the CNC Spiral ported Throttle Body, CAI cold air intake,
Elite Engineering Catch can, Apex Motorsports cold air intake scoop,
and the Apex Motorsports washer resevoir reloacte kit, all delivered this week.

I intend to install them all at the same time.
Surprizingly the scoop and the washer bottle relocate appear to be the most complicated parts of the operation.

To install the scoop you have to jack up the car, put it on stands, remove the left front tire, remove the wheel well cover,
and CUT a piece of plastic out of a shroud behind the front grill, ( to allow cool fresh air into the air box.)

For the washer resevoir relocate.... you have to drill two holes into the air box.

The TB and the cold air system are true bolt ons ( you do need a hair dryer or heat gun to melt a piece of plastic on the cold air system.)

I hope this helps anyone thinking bout doing these performance upgrades.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I traded my v6 that had a Vararam for a SS this past August and I was on mad dash to get all my mods done before old man winter set in (4"-7"of snow by morning on top of the 3" currently on the ground) and this time I went with the CAI intake and I'm pleasantly surprised with the response, the quality of the unit and sound I have now. Definitely well worth the money and I did the wash bottle relocate and the air shovel while the install was being done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I traded my v6 that had a Vararam for a SS this past August and I was on mad dash to get all my mods done before old man winter set in (4"-7"of snow by morning on top of the 3" currently on the ground) and this time I went with the CAI intake and I'm pleasantly surprised with the response, the quality of the unit and sound I have now. Definitely well worth the money and I did the wash bottle relocate and the air shovel while the install was being done.
where did you get the wash bottle relocate / air shovel from?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts