Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about splurging and going back to my "gaming" roots of computer gaming. Honestly, even though I've played consoles for years I think the PC is the best of the best and I miss it. RTS on consoles suck! FPS are 10x better and you can make your owns mods for games.

What is a good gaming computer? I don't wany anything over the top because I don't have too much $$$, I'm gonna swing the "I need it for college too" scheme...it might work.

I've read that real PC gamers build their own machines overtime, but I don't know too much about computers and rather have a decent package already setup.

Any ideas on what I should look at? I have no clue what is good out there, and I will need it for college eventually so I'm clueless on what is a good mix.

I like RPGs and old FPS so is there something that can run DOS games without doing all this weird crap to my PC?

I don't want to spend a lot, maybe around $1000, is that a good computer?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, I've always built mine. You can build (maybe buy) a great gaming machine for $1000 if you don't include the monitor in that cost. Just stay away from Alienware. Ridiculously priced.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really want a Computer+monitor, I'm going to buy a LCD TV and use it as my screen eventually.

I also don't want a laptop, I like the desktop.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I don't really want a Computer+monitor, I'm going to buy a LCD TV and use it as my screen eventually.

I also don't want a laptop, I like the desktop.
O.K. The Computer with a TV kinda makes sense if you plan on living in a dorm room environment, but I just don't see any reason to own a full sized desktop in today's world when laptops are just as capable at gaming, have sharp screens, bluetooth, and wireless (Hulu on the go bitches!)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My room at home isn't very big, not much bigger if not smaller than a dorm room. Desktop > Laptop is just personal preference.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
There has to be a reasoning behind the personal preference? Honestly, I'm trying to figure out what the advantages are. I'm not judging, just having owned laptops exclusively for several years now, I just don't understand "desktops." (especially after I bought my 6831FX)

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For one I don't like the keyboards on a lap top, the keys are weird to me.

I'll probably end up taking the laptop everywhere and it getting beat up.

It being portable, I'll probably keep it on my dresser and watch it get smacked...or covered in clothes, etc.

I could list and list, but I'm looking at Dell XPS series.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
The XPS (what's plural for XPS?lol) are nice. I had one for 2 months, but SOMEBODY (nephew) spilled SOMETHING (soda) on it and FOR SOME REASON (everything got fried) it didn't work anymore, but I scrapped it and got 400 bucks. Nice, because I only spent 500. The whole time I had it, I only turned it on maybe 5 times. I was mostly on my Laptop. And yes adam. Laptops get jacked up.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been away from the computer "World" for years, I don't know WTF these things in the computer are. DDR3 RAM? WTF? Overclocking? What?

I don't want to make a big purchase and end up not getting something good with no upgradebility. I'm looking for a cheap package to playing and mod Fallout and oblivion...geez!

·
Resident GTO nutswinger
148 Posts
If you're that far out removed from technology, you should check out a place like hardforums.com and read up on the latest technology.

I'm sure you remember ddr ram (cuz if not then **** you have been gone for long). ddr3 is just a faster more powerefficient piece of equipment.

Overclocking is like modding your engine, taking what you have and extracting more power (whether hp or mhz).

·
Registered
738 Posts
love when people ask about computers! It gives me an excuse to look up stuff and my wife can't accuse me of just trying to spend money we don't have! YAY!

I've owned, and built multiple desktops. I've also owned multiple laptops.

Benefits? Simple. I can rip anything out and put something new in a desktop in minutes. versus a laptop where I've got to hope I have the tiniest screw driver created to take out the even tiniest screw created.

Laptops also typically don't have the power a desktop does. Yes, you can get laptops with the power of a desktop for about 2-3x the price. I also don't like using my laptop for average work because I can write faster than I can go back, delete, retype, save, go back to work. On paper I just scribble out, rewrite, done.

Overclocking is 90% unnecessary. All it does is force more power into your equipment to make it run faster. Think of it as turbocharging your car. Similar concept. But what happens when you do that? You drastically shorten it's life-span, on top of completely voiding warranty. So if you break it, you don't get any reimbursement and you get to go buy another $300 CPU.

DDR3 is obviously the superior in RAM, HOWEVER it is not necessary for your average computer. To use my same metaphor, it's like turbocharging your minivan. Sure, you could, but for what purpose? Now you can say your van is faster than the other soccer mom's van. But do you need a 0-60 in 4 seconds minivan?
DDR2 would more than do the job for you. It's plenty fast and is still vastly used. DDR3 is still very new.

To save money I highly recommend with going with generic products. You don't need namebrand everything. I've found that while generic isn't performing 100% equal to namebrand, it's still about 90%+. So unless you're trying to hack the pentagon, you're good.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
Laptops also typically don't have the power a desktop does. Yes, you can get laptops with the power of a desktop for about 2-3x the price. I also don't like using my laptop for average work because I can write faster than I can go back, delete, retype, save, go back to work. On paper I just scribble out, rewrite, done.
I disagree. The laptop I posted earlier has all of the power of a mid to high end GAMING desktop and only cost $1,150.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
if you can afford a computer with the new intel i7 chip, it's worth it...it's fast. Although now that it's out all the other ones are getting cheaper, you you can probably get a good deal on a quad-core system now. Dell has decent deals on re-burbed systems so check them out since $$ is an issue.

I just build my own computers...saves a lot of $$$...just gotta make sure all the parts are compatible. If you can build a car, you can build a computer.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
my dad is building his new desktop and from what he says it is really badass.

he already had a 5.1 surround sound and 15"(EDIT 22") lcd monitor, but he bought a "barebones" case and bought a whole bunch of other chit and is about to put on windows 7 until he can get vista in the mail........

anyway talk to my old man about this stuff he is the head "GEEK" at his job

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
oh ya and for all the parts it was like 500 soo goodstuff
$500 for all the parts in a PC is Barebones. He probably got an integrated CPU/Mobo/RAM/VGA/SC combo that was about $200, a $30 PS, a $50 case, a few peripherals, and maybe some more RAM and a GFX.

To get a PC with all that as separate hardware would easily be $800-$1000 for a low end DIY PC. $1300 is about what most people spend for a DIY PC. $1800 and up and is what the typical gamer spends on a DIY build. $2500 and up is what the power users spend on a build.

I spent almost $4000 for the system I built. Spent about $3000 of it just to build the tower.

My PC Specs & prices when I built it in fall of '06:

AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3800 OC'd to 2.2ghz $152
2gb Kingston DDR-400 Value RAM $211
BFG 7900 GTX OC 512mb PCIE GFX $475
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro SC $72
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe $110
PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU $200
Wester Digital Raptor 74gb HDD $170
2 Western Digital Caviar 250gb HDD $180
Heatsinks for CPU, GFX, HDD's (no longer use those), RAM, and Mobo $350
Windows XP and Office $700
D-Link DWL G550 High Gain 802.11g WiFi card $120
Case $100

Pics are below.

In stock form it broke 9000 in 3DMark05. When I OC'd the hell out of it I broke 12000. In 3DMark06 with it as it currently is it scored 6000.

PC builds are a great way to build technical skills and have fun at the same time. The first time I built my PC it took about 4 days worth of work over the span of 2 weeks. But after that I can tear my rig down, clean it, and put it back together and reformat it in 8hrs. When I built my Mom a PC for Mothers day, it took me 3hrs to build it (mainly because I was also documenting the build for a technical manual in English) and a day to get Windows on it and it all setup. Its not too hard to do, just got to make sure you don't short anything out or install it the wrong way.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
**** yall, brought me out of retirement to post on this thread.
First off Laptop vs Desktop:
Desktops are cheaper..or can have more/better components for the same price.
They're more durable and easier to fix(Monitor goes out? Easy switch..keyboard? Easy switch..not so much in a laptop).
A really good gaming laptop would run well north of $2000.
Laptops are **** near impossible to upgrade (except for ram..if you're lucky).
Unless you're going to be moving your PC around a lot..there is no reason TO get a laptop.

Secondly..if you want the best computer for the dollar...BUILD YOUR OWN.
When buying pre-built, you normally have no idea what brand components they're using are(Say..Hitachi instead of Seagate for the harddrives)..and companies like Dell and the like use proprietary components to make sure you use nothing other than Dell.
Do some research..buy the best components you can afford then slap them together.
Great places to get computer components are:
www.tigerdirect.com
www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com

EDIT: And 89RS man..you really need to get a LCD monitor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
$500 for all the parts in a PC is Barebones. He probably got an integrated CPU/Mobo/RAM/VGA/SC combo that was about $200, a $30 PS, a $50 case, a few peripherals, and maybe some more RAM and a GFX.

To get a PC with all that as separate hardware would easily be $800-$1000 for a low end DIY PC. $1300 is about what most people spend for a DIY PC. $1800 and up and is what the typical gamer spends on a DIY build. $2500 and up is what the power users spend on a build.

I spent almost $4000 for the system I built. Spent about $3000 of it just to build the tower.

My PC Specs & prices when I built it in fall of '06:

AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3800 OC'd to 2.2ghz $152
2gb Kingston DDR-400 Value RAM $211
BFG 7900 GTX OC 512mb PCIE GFX $475
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro SC $72
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe $110
PC Power & Cooling 510w PSU $200
Wester Digital Raptor 74gb HDD $170
2 Western Digital Caviar 250gb HDD $180
Heatsinks for CPU, GFX, HDD's (no longer use those), RAM, and Mobo $350
Windows XP and Office $700
D-Link DWL G550 High Gain 802.11g WiFi card $120
Case $100

Pics are below.

In stock form it broke 9000 in 3DMark05. When I OC'd the hell out of it I broke 12000. In 3DMark06 with it as it currently is it scored 6000.

PC builds are a great way to build technical skills and have fun at the same time. The first time I built my PC it took about 4 days worth of work over the span of 2 weeks. But after that I can tear my rig down, clean it, and put it back together and reformat it in 8hrs. When I built my Mom a PC for Mothers day, it took me 3hrs to build it (mainly because I was also documenting the build for a technical manual in English) and a day to get Windows on it and it all setup. Its not too hard to do, just got to make sure you don't short anything out or install it the wrong way.

You paid $700 for windows XP?
Wow man, you got ripped.
I got XP from my HS for $5..legally. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts