Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirmed: "Phoenix" Trans Am conversion kit coming for Camaro

So... as of January 1, 2010, Pontiac is dead. Buried. Gone forever. No more. Obviously, something as pesky as death ain't going to stop hard core Trans Am fanatics from driving an (almost) honest to goodness 2010 Pontiac Trans Am and/or Firebird. Why? If you have to ask... you bring up a good point. Especially because when you get right down to it, the Trans Am was rarely anything other than a Chevy Camaro with different sheet metal.

Keeping that in mind, Trans Am Depot will be offering body kits that will transform (lowly) Camaros into full-on screamin' chicken Trans Ams! Based off Kevin Morgan's original design(s), the Phoenix Trans Am kits will be unveiled at the 2009 Trans Am Nationals. And then you'll have the chance to own a Trans Am that costs more than a Camaro but is just as fast. Hey – just sayin'.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/12/confirmed-phoenix-trans-am-conversion-kit-coming-for-camaro/

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I'm going to reserve complete judgement for the unveil. The "yellow" car is obviously a photoshop. The black one I'm not sure about since they didn't pan around the car.

I will say one thing though:
There is no way they'll make this cost effective for the people who actually want a T/A. It'll be a neat novelty (like any kit car), but nothing more.

That being said, if they mass produce a three piece rear spoiler, that'll sell like hotcakes.

·
8,984 Posts

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
I just remembered the last time something like this happened...

It was a flop based on the 04 GTO. I expect this Firebird to suffer the same fate.
Dear lord that's terrible! That's a GTO? Holy crap! It looks like the welded the front of a GTO to the back of a Monte Carlo and added a HORRIBLE body kit!

·
8,984 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
those pics of that converted gto looks more like a 70 chevelle than a firebird.. if you keep that in mind it looks pretty good really. or was that the intent??

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
those pics of that converted gto looks more like a 70 chevelle than a firebird.. if you keep that in mind it looks pretty good really. or was that the intent??
You are correct. The point was to be a Chevelle. They actually grafted Chevelle parts to the front and rear of the GTO to create this. I saw it in person in Carlisle many years ago when it was first unveiled. It never took off. I would say some of it had to do with the cost involved, and also it was not very attractive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
:confused:Chevelle was what I thought when I seen the pics, should have left it as a goat. If it was supposed to be a chevelle....maybe they should have built a few more to see if it would go anywhere.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts