Modern Camaro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a brand new SS do the general break-in rules apply just to prolong life of parts or can a harsh break-in affect performance?

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
this is a great debate....some say a harsh break-in is better, some say go by the owners manual. I typically go easy on it for the first few 100 miles, and gradually ramp it up till it hits 1000 miles, do first oil change and we're good to go.

I saw your other post about hitting the rev-limiter....I wouldn't worry about it (it's a good thing it's there), the most important thing to do during break-in is vary your rpm's....:lol:which you've got covered.:p

BTW, welcome to the site.

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
As soon as I think the valves and rings have set, I beat the crap out of it. My engine builder (not widely known but the big names all know and respect him) told me 20 years ago to take it easy initially and then break it in how you want the engine to perform optimally.

If you want the engine to run like a baby at 70 mph, break it in that way. If you want the engine to run well under load, break it in that way.

·
Banned
7,873 Posts
Welcome :D

As stated above, it goes both ways. Powerfreak summed it up for me nicely :cool:
I do not go both ways :eek: (not that there's anything wrong with that).

·
Support MC & Troops
11,804 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't do mine that way!:eek:
Nah, me either, but I've known quite a few guys who have.

I prefer easy driving, no WOT/red line runs, etc... For the first few thousand miles. (until the rings are as sealed as they're going to get, really.)

I also like. 500 mile, then 1500 mile, then a 3000 mile oil change schedule after I buy it. :)

·
Registered
728 Posts
From my experience ,it is 100 miles, and then an oil change and check the oil... After that ,it is drive the car as you are going to drive it.:gears:.No over revving if possible. :eek: But hard driving...no problem....:thumbsup:.Now don't quote me if you blow the motor...:confused: Also following Big Top GT would not be a bad idea..:thumbsup:.In my car, I have Speed pro rings, which were good to go after 100 miles...New cars, I shall be Quiet, I don't know.:confused:.....Safe is better...:5go:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My approach has always been to, for the most part, break it in the way the owner's manual says to. That way, if I have a problem, I can honestly tell the dealer personnel that I broke it in by the book.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Break in is all about your rings seating correctly. Worst thing you can do is ride around at the same rpms.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I wouldn't do any racing events for the first 1500 miles, but its totally okay to romp on it for spirited driving. I always romp on my cars right out the gate (the firehawk had 14 miles and Bee had 9) and they have been fine. Hey, it's varying the RPM ;)

And I also change my oil at the first 1,000 miles and again at 3,000. There's always a lot of metal flakes that get in the oil during break in (makes the oil look glittery) and i'd rather get them out. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
this is a great debate....some say a harsh break-in is better, some say go by the owners manual.QUOTE]

Why the debate? The owners manual says 1500 miles. I'm sure there's a reason.
This type of thread usually turns into a debate. Everyone will have their own opinions and what seems to work best for them. All I can say is that break in times are going to be different from motor to motor and what works on a hand built race motor may not be the best idea for an assembly line factory or crate motor, due to set up tolerances. If I build a motor (LS), I would typically run it through a couple heat cycles varying rpm and load (Dyno). Checking for leaks and listening for noises during that time. Give exhaust fasteners a once over, drop and inspect oil/filter. If all is good after that, start tuning and make some power. But that's just me. Is it the best way? Can't be sure, but it makes sense and has proven very successful on gas and diesel engines for me so I will stick with it. When seating rings, cylinder pressure is your friend.
This information is strictly my personal opinion.

PS. If I bought a new performance vehicle, there is no way I would be able to control myself for the factory recommended break in period.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Only thing that makes me think more about this is the gears. When you swap gears out of any car they all tell you to take it easy for the first 500 miles. Now wouldn't this also include a new car? If not then why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gears, brakes, manual tranny are the main things to worry about breaking in. Engine will be fine after a couple hundred miles. By then, the rings have seated all they are going to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts