1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive looked at the marines, they wanted to long a commitment- 5 ish years

Im considering the army, 19 delta calv Scouts

2-3 years.

My goal is to come out and become a state trooper, or police officer.

Wanted u guys to share your thoughts an opinions, as i need alt of feedback as this is a big commitment.

IF it matters btw im 6' 5" 245
thanks!~

·
Registered
330 Posts
have you looked into Army National Guard? i just got out of it myself after 6 yrs. something they came up with recently is this program called active first. i dont know all the details, but basically you go active for about 2 yrs, then spend 4 or 6 in the guard. bonus is around 20,000 i beleive, *changes all the time though... there are alot of soldiers there that are involved in law enforcement, i guess they are a military friendly employer.... my factory job wasnt so much.... good luck in whatever you decide. talk to several recruiters, but dont commit to anything until you get all the details about all the options. the recruiters are as shady as people say they are. youd be best to talk to people in the units. recruiter should not have any problem setting you up to meet with them on drill weekend. get it first hand from people of all ranks, cuz you will move through them ranks too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
im army national guard..... have no regrets about joining...although i do wish id went with 19D as my mos instead of 63B(All Wheel Mechanic)......

buddy of mine signed on with Tennessee Army National Guard, 278th Armored Cav. as a 19D.... he got a $20,000 bonus........... did his basic and A.I.T at Fort Knox, Ky..... man does he love it.... and as a civilian job he works for our local sheriff's department....

its all about the state as to what bonus you could get.... and it depends on the units around your house as to wat mos you could get

i thought about joining the marines, but i could never get my head in the jar... so went guard instead....:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes L.E. is a very, very friendly employer to military.

I guess along the ideal that if you can handle the trauma of war and stress under fire then you can do it back in the states. You have your high intensity moments, but nothing like you would see overseas im sure... I agree with that above stated, a majority of my department is marine corp or guard. The individuals who are guard are still able to serve as reservists ...essentially they are "double dipping". Most agencies will also work with your schedule if you decide to remain in the service as a reserve.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rats! I'm a year too late to reply to this...

I'm an Army National Guard cav scout. Funnily enough, I signed up for 6 years, and I'm on course to have about 4 years of active duty points, including my upcoming stop loss.

Weekends my butt!

That said, I would do it again.

Will

·
Registered
330 Posts
yeah, i think weekends were the few times they let me come home last year.... spent the whole year basically training to go over there..... they postponed the ship date so many times, that i ETS'd before the rest left.

shame my job fired me in the same week i got out. said i missed too much work... go figure 150 days of training for war doesnt excuse absenteeism at work....

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took the azvap. Got a 69 with like 130 something in mechanics and stuff

Diver came up, but it looks kinda hardcore hmm

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
19 delta calv scout in the corps? That sounds like an army designation. Reservist is a good way to go as well. Thing about that though, go Marine Corps reserve and you will more than likely end up with an 03 designation and a trip to the sand box. There isn't much choice in designation in the Marine Reserves.

·
Registered
330 Posts
the way it looks, no matter what you join, youll end up over there... until a major change of events happens *new president... or somthing.

like i said in other posts, i signed up just to go over and kick some *ss, but that was when there was actually some kicking going on. now its over, and we are doing the humanitarian thing over there.....

sometimes i regret getting out, ONLY for the fact that MY guys are over there now and im not with them. but they seem to be doing great. hell they spend alot of time on myspace so it must not be the same war i was training for...

i support them fully and await their arrival home and safe. and i wish the same for you if you should ever go.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i think even with a new president... we'll and up dragging feet to get out

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
You're sure that being a police officer is what you want to do for the rest of your life? The military offers plenty of technical jobs which would NET you a higher income on the outside.

·
Registered
572 Posts
sometimes its not about the money;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well im physiclly set for it, and i would enjoy doing it, and it comes with many risks but alot of benefits 22 soo

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
We just got a new guy here in Iraq, he's 23. He's been in Iraq for about a month and has already made up his mind not to reenlist. But he is active duty. I am not going to try to talk you out of joining the Armed Forces, but I am going to tell you somethings you need to be aware of. Even as a National Guard Soldier, if they need you over here, you will be coming. As far as I know the Guard is stretched really really thin these days. If you went 19D Cav Scout you would be trained at Ft. Knox, KY. Keep in mind though, as a Cav Scout you might be put into an Armour Unit and become a Tanker. I know, ground-pounder to Tanker. It also happens the other way around. There is something called having a secondary MOS and when you sign up as a Tanker, your secondary MOS is Cav Scout. At least that's how they treat the guys that go active. Also, remember you are signing up during a time of war when almost every part of the Army is stretched thin, so they can, and will, throw you where they need you. I am a Tank Mechanic, so I've gotten to learn a lot about what Tankers go through, and the Cav Scout switch thing. I am on my second tour in Iraq, but not by choice. I have been Stop-Lossed 20 months beyond the end of my contract. So I signed up for four, and will spend almost six. I also don't work on Tanks anymore. The Army is so short handed here in Iraq that they put us, an Armour Unit, in a place where the roads are not big enough for Tanks. So we use Hum-Vs and the new MRAPs.
Tankers are now Infantry, and I hardly work on Tanks. I now work on vehicles that I've never been trained on. Which is fine, I can adjust, and I care about keeping Tankers as safe as I can. But these guys didn't sign up to be ground-pounders. In my first deployment, and this one, I do the job of a Tanker, Infantryman, and a Mechanic. So in this type of war, you will do much more than your job. If you are ready for that, that's ok, but you need to know that it happens. I suggest you got straight to LE. Why? Because even as a Guardsman you can be Stop-Lossed and that might delay your real plans. However, if you really are set on joining, go Air Force! I have never seen a pissed off, job hating Airman. I'm sure they are out there, but they always seem to in a better mood. As far as I know they have yet to use Stop-Loss. Do NOT go MP to become a cop on the outside. It's the kiss of death. LE agencies will not take you. I know a friend you tried that, and many other since I've been in the Army. Pick a job only after you have done some serious research on it, because your recruiter may not know anything about it beyond the little description the Army provides for him. Also understand the Stop-Loss is in very wide practice right now, so expect to serve more than what you sign up for. Check out the Navy or the Air Force and see if the can offer you a better deal. Also, ask your Army recruiter about Stop-Loss and then watch him dance around the issue and throw out some BS answer. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Being an MP is kiss of death? Maybe that is an issue in other areas of the country, but my agency has multiple MPs and they are great officers...

However, I do agree that you should try a different profession within the service for different reasons....If you by chance HATE being in LE, your experiences in the service will provide you a great foundation to do something else with your life if LE doesnt work. There are alot of people who see this job is not like the movies or even "cops", and beat feat within the first years...its all what you take from it.

·
Banned
4,153 Posts
We just got a new guy here in Iraq, he's 23. He's been in Iraq for about a month and has already made up his mind not to reenlist. But he is active duty. I am not going to try to talk you out of joining the Armed Forces, but I am going to tell you somethings you need to be aware of. Even as a National Guard Soldier, if they need you over here, you will be coming. As far as I know the Guard is stretched really really thin these days. If you went 19D Cav Scout you would be trained at Ft. Knox, KY. Keep in mind though, as a Cav Scout you might be put into an Armour Unit and become a Tanker. I know, ground-pounder to Tanker. It also happens the other way around. There is something called having a secondary MOS and when you sign up as a Tanker, your secondary MOS is Cav Scout. At least that's how they treat the guys that go active. Also, remember you are signing up during a time of war when almost every part of the Army is stretched thin, so they can, and will, throw you where they need you. I am a Tank Mechanic, so I've gotten to learn a lot about what Tankers go through, and the Cav Scout switch thing. I am on my second tour in Iraq, but not by choice. I have been Stop-Lossed 20 months beyond the end of my contract. So I signed up for four, and will spend almost six. I also don't work on Tanks anymore. The Army is so short handed here in Iraq that they put us, an Armour Unit, in a place where the roads are not big enough for Tanks. So we use Hum-Vs and the new MRAPs.
Tankers are now Infantry, and I hardly work on Tanks. I now work on vehicles that I've never been trained on. Which is fine, I can adjust, and I care about keeping Tankers as safe as I can. But these guys didn't sign up to be ground-pounders. In my first deployment, and this one, I do the job of a Tanker, Infantryman, and a Mechanic. So in this type of war, you will do much more than your job. If you are ready for that, that's ok, but you need to know that it happens. I suggest you got straight to LE. Why? Because even as a Guardsman you can be Stop-Lossed and that might delay your real plans. However, if you really are set on joining, go Air Force! I have never seen a pissed off, job hating Airman. I'm sure they are out there, but they always seem to in a better mood. As far as I know they have yet to use Stop-Loss. Do NOT go MP to become a cop on the outside. It's the kiss of death. LE agencies will not take you. I know a friend you tried that, and many other since I've been in the Army. Pick a job only after you have done some serious research on it, because your recruiter may not know anything about it beyond the little description the Army provides for him. Also understand the Stop-Loss is in very wide practice right now, so expect to serve more than what you sign up for. Check out the Navy or the Air Force and see if the can offer you a better deal. Also, ask your Army recruiter about Stop-Loss and then watch him dance around the issue and throw out some BS answer. :D
Bottom line: It's the military and you would be joining in a time of war. If you can't handle that you have to do whatever they tell you to do (even if it's outside of your MOS or training), don't enlist. Chances are, you will be told to do things you don't want to do, get used to it. That's military life. If you want to join the Military and stay relatively safe, join the Air Force. If you want to be a cop, become an SP (Air Force's version of an MP).

I encourage every able bodied American to serve at least 2 years in the Military. It's a different kind of world and they will teach you alot. You will definately grow as a person and I believe, be a better man. $h!7 happens in the Military. You have to make sure that you can handle it before you join. Some people can't.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm in the Marine Corp, deployed once and preparing for my second, I'm also extending my contract to stay for 14 months instead of 7.

It's probably not as bad as some people think, or make it out to be. You'd be amazed how many military guys talk up their deployments just to make themselves sound good. It really depends on your MOS (basically your job) in the military.

The Marine Corp has a 2 year enlistment program. I know this because a friend of mine just did it.

As bad as it sounds, recruiters aren't your friends. They're job is to meet their quota and make themselves look good.

Decide what YOU want, and make them give it to you. They'll tell you no just to make you enlist in what they want you to enlist in. Like bonus pays. I've seen recruiters tell people they didn't have any bonus pays for jobs when anyone who spends 2 seconds researching knows that they do.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I know that the Army does, or at least did, offer a two year sign up. But the catch is that they will get more than the two years from you. The two year thing is a trap to get you Stop-Lossed. I used to think like that: "Everyone should pull their two years." After being here, I don't think that way anymore. Do what you believe in. If you believe in the fight, then fight in it. I am no hero by any means, and never set out to be one. I have done many things outside of my job and have done them without complaint, but I hated most of it. I wish people could just be in the army for a month at home, in the rear, and month deployed. It would be a real eye opener to how the army is suffering a major break down. I read a report where the Marines and Army are now letting in people with felony convictions. Included in these new recruits where people with felony rape convictions. Not the kind of people I signed up to work with. My Dad got drafted and did his time. He tells me how he could leave anything out, and no one would take it from him. Now, you better lock everything you have up. They let anyone in. In my team of 10 guys 0 are reenlisting. That is really common now. Those numbers of them not being able to keep people in are what you should look at it. It's a tip off to the larger problem. I sat in on a meeting last night with Company level command and they where going through people in my company, asking the Platoon Sgt's about the re-up numbers. What is really came down to was our company commander telling them to scare them into signing back up. "How will you support your family... etc, etc." Pretty sad.

·
Registered
330 Posts
they tried that jive with me for my last year.... how are you gonna make it when you get out? where else can you get the benefits? then they flash the 15K in my face...

my answers were-

i make alot more in my civilian job then i do here anyway. and if you care so much then gimme that promotion i am a year overdue for and have already schooled for...

and

my benefits end when i go home sunday night (except the life insurance, which ended when i got out...) and my kids/wife arent even covered unless im deployed, so WHAT BENEFITS!?$%

and

whats that 15K worth when you split it into 4 payments, then yank out huge taxes each time, and where am i going to spend it, in bahgdad?!$%

1 - 20 of 41 Posts